Author Topic: YIPPEE-at last got our allotment  (Read 1447 times)

mo

• Not So New ...
YIPPEE-at last got our allotment
« on: April 14, 2008, 11:26:35 »
 :) At last we have got our allotment. We have been waiting since last October. We have a 5 plot holding and its full of weeds, the lady who had it before us never grew much veg she used it for flowers! Spent 5 hours yesterday, doging the rain on the allotment and have managed to get the ball rolling.  My son who is 7 and my daughter who is 2 1/2 have had a wail of a time getting stuck in!

Any advice of getting rid of the weeds will be much appreciated ;D

betula

• Hectare
Re: YIPPEE-at last got our allotment
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 11:44:11 »
Such a lovely feeling to get your allotment.Hope you really enjoy it.

Weeds...............dig dig dig ;D ;D ;D

mo

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 11:46:28 »
Thanks betula,

yeah great feeling, started to dig the weeds and thought would be the way to go but my god its going to take foreveeeeeeer!!

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 12:29:25 »
If the initial digging is going to take forever and sap your enthusiasm, why not give it a going over with roundup.  Use a watering can, so that there is no drift on to neighbouring plots and a day that is going to be dry!  Wait two weeks and the weeds will be dead and you will find it much easier to dig and feel that you are getting somewhere.

Remember, it's supposed to be relaxing - not a competition.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2008, 12:53:39 »
Maybe it is best to grow on a small area this season and put ground cover on the rest and just dig when you can

Weed clearing can get demoralising so I would definately start growing something :)

I enjoy making plans for my site,you knowshed hear water butt and composter there. :)

mo

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2008, 13:23:27 »
I think we will just take our time, I have started in a corner and doing a square at a time i will take your advice betula, sounds good. All the fun is just beginning for us as were planning out as to were we should put the shed etc! Managed to get the huge yew tree out with much effort! :P

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2008, 13:39:22 »
Cover most of the area with plastic sheeting and uncover as you go along (like Betula said)...mean while most of the weeds underneath will die down and you are left with only the toughest ones to get rid of.. ;D
The main thing is to stop weeds to get any worst untill you are ready for them.
I have cleared some really bad areas with bonfires..by raking glowing coal around further and leaving them to cool down....Not ideal..but I had lot of unwanted timber that previous owner left behind..and sky high hedges..so lot to get rid of...if you can have fires ..it helps , but do not burn wet/damp stuff which smokes alot..dry stuff= hot non smoking fires= little polution... ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal