Author Topic: Beans with black marks, ants are there but for the blackfly?  (Read 1085 times)

cocopops

• Acre
I have 15 runner bean plants which were growing really well (seeds were from over-wintered type given to us by a friend).  Today they have lots of blackness to their leaves, and I spotted some ants.  Do I need to treat them with an ant killer, blackfly spray or both?  The blackfly wrecked all our peas and beans last year but these are still in planters on a wall.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Beans with black marks, ants are there but for the blackfly?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 20:48:11 »
sounds like the ants are farming the blackfly, I know they do it with greenfly, squish the flies or spray with soft soap, the ants'll beggar off if there's no flies  ;D

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 12:28:55 »
If the elderflower/berry trees have got leaves yet - break a couple of small branches and put them in the ground amongst the broad beans.  This generally works to get rid of some of the black fly (if that is what they are!)

Old Bird ;D

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 12:39:34 »
Does pinching out the growing tip help against black fly on Broad Beans,sure I have read this somewhere. :)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2008, 12:51:35 »
The aphids go for the young tissue near the tips, but I never bother pinching them out, as they just move elsewhere on the plant. I rarely get serious infestations.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal