Author Topic: Another Raised Bed Thread  (Read 883 times)

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
Another Raised Bed Thread
« on: April 12, 2008, 21:43:35 »
The lady that owns a very small local garden center has given some of the land to a woman to use as an allotment but it seems there is only 6 to 7 inches of soil, I have told her the best idea would be to use raised beds but having never used them thats about as much as I can say, can anyone give me any advise that I could pass on? by the sounds of it the woman hasn't any experience in gardening or D.I.Y.

Vortex

• Acre
Re: Another Raised Bed Thread
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2008, 23:24:59 »
If there's only 6-7 inches of soil there then one of the biggest problems is going to be depth.
You're going to need to put in beds of 10-12" deep, which means that somehow you're going to have to fill them with soil.
You can solve part of the problem by putting in 2ft wide paths and lowering the path by say 5" and putting that soil into the bed, but you're still going to have to find an awful lot of soil from somewhere. If you've got any free sources of local manure then you could rob peter to pay paul, construct 6 beds but put all the soil from 4 of them and all the paths and fill 2, then fill the other 4 with manure and leave until next year.
Raised beds are great where you have major soil problems, like none or very wet heavy soil as they dry quicker and warm quicker. They also give you a quick psychological boost as it doesn't take long to turn/dig/weed/plant an 8'x4' bed but the effect is instantaneous even if you got another 8 to do.
The down side is the opposite because they drain quicker they suffer more in drought. Unless you adopt "grid gardening" or "square foot" methods you can waste more space, but by adopting these you can actually produce more but at a price in terms of maintenance - you need to feed the soil and maintain its structure.
Hope this helps.

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
Re: Another Raised Bed Thread
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2008, 01:27:37 »
I read of folks who only had a former concrete parking lot to "farm".  They left the concrete and used raised beds on top of it and had fine crops.

As stated earlier they lose water quickly. Maybe soaker hoses/ irrigation spaghetti tubing?

Another article showed a woman gardening with raised beds on a former tennis court. Each year she added another raised bed or two and had bumper crops. That was in cold New England where the raised beds heated up faster -  a real plus.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal