Author Topic: Sweet Peas.....I Give Up!!!!!  (Read 11777 times)

jo9919

Sweet Peas.....I Give Up!!!!!
« on: April 03, 2008, 19:50:02 »
I decided last year that I would grow Sweet Peas. I know that some people plant around October time ready for the next summer season, but I missed it, so tried planting at the start of the year.

I tried all ways, heated propagator, 'nicking' the seeds, soaking the seeds in water, growing on a window sill, cold greenhouse, but no joy.

I've tried again this year, still can't get them to germinate. My dad does his in a barely heated greenhouse, heated slightly by a paraffin heater. Every one of his comes up.

I've given up now. My dad has planted some more for me  :-\

Does anyone else have problems with Sweet Peas?

Jo.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Sweet Peas.....I Give Up!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 19:54:43 »
I made the mistake of planting in February, and putting the seeds straight out in the mini-greenhouse. Most of them rotted, and I had to re-order. I'm not expecting problems with the replacements.

jo9919

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 20:02:29 »
So you reckon planting in a mini greenhouse in April would be fine?

I planted in my cold greenhouse in March, April and May last year. Why didn't they germinate?

Jo.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 20:04:10 »
I don't know. I planted mine in a mini-greenhouse this time last year and they were fine till the floods came; they didn't do much after that. This year i hoped to start them earlier, but never mind. It's going to be either early autumn or this time for me. Where did you get the seed from?

jo9919

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 20:07:11 »
Yes, this is what my dad asked me. I got my seed from Wilko's. My dad told me that this is what I get for buying cheap seeds  :-X

Is he right?

Jo.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008, 20:07:42 »
I feel embarrassed now, I've managed to germinate 4 packets and my self saved from last year..in a windowsill propagator, in rootrainers, just pushed down to knuckle depth and left ..do you think the seeds were duff?  :)

jo9919

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2008, 20:10:45 »
I feel embarrassed now, I've managed to germinate 4 packets and my self saved from last year..in a windowsill propagator, in rootrainers, just pushed down to knuckle depth and left ..do you think the seeds were duff?  :)

Oh, you're just bragging now  ;D

I think I might try a slightly more expensive packet of seed. My dad didn't have any problems last year with his and he hasn't this year either. That's what you get for counting the pennies I suppose, false economy.

Jo.

Lee Marshall

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2008, 20:10:59 »
My son (4) planted 35 seeds a month ago and 34 have come through, I used to soak them, chit them etc etc give them to the kids and they will show you how to do it.

jo9919

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2008, 20:12:16 »
My son (4) planted 35 seeds a month ago and 34 have come through, I used to soak them, chit them etc etc give them to the kids and they will show you how to do it.

I'll have to try that  ;) The kids do seem to have more luck that I do  >:(

Jo.

ox

• Not So New ...
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2008, 20:42:43 »
I decided last year that I would grow Sweet Peas. I know that some people plant around October time ready for the next summer season, but I missed it, so tried planting at the start of the year.

I tried all ways, heated propagator, 'nicking' the seeds, soaking the seeds in water, growing on a window sill, cold greenhouse, but no joy.

I've tried again this year, still can't get them to germinate. My dad does his in a barely heated greenhouse, heated slightly by a paraffin heater. Every one of his comes up.

I've given up now. My dad has planted some more for me  :-\

Does anyone else have problems with Sweet Peas?

Jo.

have you tryed chitting them before you start them in the green house
I have chitted loads of stuff this year and they have all took. I chitted a packet of sweetcorn and all 70 have worked. Chitted marrigolds, sweet peas morning glory loads of them have took

loopyloulou

• Acre
  • oh my... thats a LOT of couch grass....
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2008, 20:59:19 »
all bar one (very old admittedly) packet of sweetpeas i sowed came up this yr, none last yr, yes the kids sowed them and i put them in dampt compost in old pudding pots v(u know the posh tall pots with a plastic lid that goes back on? washed them out and used those so kids could see roots and shoots, nice and deep) and also using toilet rolls as seed tubes and so far so good, tho they dont seem so happy now theyre outside im sure theyve stopped growing in a huff! all were put in the unheated conservatory so have had warmer than outside colder than inside conditions (if u get me?) the toilet roll ones had no cover and were some that someone had sent me that they self saved, the ones in the placcy pots were bought ones, deffo give them to the kids but ive been told they like moist cool deep root runs (?) so i guess thats where the loo rolls come in :D if that helps any? and it also means when i planted a few out (slugs have yet to notice!) that i just left them in the loo roll as aparently theyre not fond of being disturbed (as demonstrated by theyre huffyness i guess, but not dead, yet....) anyways hope some of the rambling helps, i germinated them fine in normal seed tray propogators last yr but the slugs ate the lot so wasnt impressed, am hoping to dodge the slimy fellas this yr... if the weather stays as "dry" as it has been compared to last yr fingers crossed! lou xx
i think i like it here :D now who can tell me how to grow my own chocolate???

Arumlily

• Acre
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2008, 23:50:54 »
Please don't give up. Last year I planted 40 sweet peas, and only about 5 survive, mine were mostly devoured by mice. So this year they were fully protected from this pest. Some years I don't get any sweet peas at all, and it is maddening. I've discovered what I did wrong, most of the time I tend to push the seed quite deep into the pot. And I also tend to put just one seed in each pot. But this year I didn't push the seed as deep as I used to, plus I planted three seeds in each pot. I reckon if one fail at least I've two more chances, and I'm pleased to say mine have done rather well so far. I keep pinching them to prevent it becoming leggy. Amazingly they are all about the same height.

Vortex

• Acre
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2008, 00:17:19 »
I saved the seed from ours last year and sowed in two batches, one in mid January and one in late February, in rootrainers with their plastic cover. I had about 25% germinate and I always soak mine for 24 hours prior to sowing.
As soon as I can get these out I'll sow what's left of the packet of seed from last year - can't sow direct or in uncovered trays as we have a mouse problem (can't catch the ..... thing and can't seem to keep it out the greenhouse).

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2008, 00:50:07 »
Like Manicscousers I saved (but mixed with a packet of cheepies from Tesco in case they revert to one colour) mine from last season. I soaked them overnight and planted them in good seed compost, covered them, and kept them indoors till they germinated-about a week. 3 in a pot. This was Feb and they are now outside in the plastic greenhouse which is opened in the day. Nice plants, not leggy. Slow but sure. ;)
Smile, it confuses people.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2008, 08:11:45 »
Wilko's seed is usually OK, but you never know. Try some from a different source just in case.

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2008, 08:15:24 »
Got my Red arrow sweet pea from local garden centre and within 3 days about 60% of the seeds have germinated, they're just in a pot on a south facing windowsill.  Having said that, everytime I've had sweet pea it's managed to strangle itself and die!
« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 08:37:59 by posie »
What I lack in ability and experience, I make up for in sheer enthusiasm!!!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2008, 08:19:04 »
We only spring sow but we have loads even with Wilko's cheap seeds....
Now Morning glory they can be a B****r to germinate...
 ::)

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2008, 09:08:46 »
Crikey for a change I seem to have done something right!! Didn't heat greenhouse over the winter, lost quite a few fuchsia and geranium cuttings BUT sweet peas.. I sowed some last November, got about 40 now potted on, 1 tray of 24 now about 2" high and 1 tray of 24 1" high. I thought I would sow at intervals this year Some are from new seeds and some from my saved seeds. Still had quite a few of saved seeds left so just scattered some direct to garden, who knows they might even germinate :) I would think I have 85% germination.

jo9919

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2008, 09:26:09 »
I'm going to give them another go.

As I said, my dad has now planted some for me, but it just annoys me so much that I can't even get one to germinate. I thought that I would give up and let my dad do the hard bit for me, but it's like a battle of wills now. I WILL get some to germinate if it kills me!!!

Jo.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2008, 09:56:22 »
What's the earliest they can go outside?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal