Author Topic: Sealing greenhouse glass  (Read 16994 times)

lee79

• Not So New ...
Sealing greenhouse glass
« on: April 01, 2008, 15:49:22 »
Hi

The greenhouse I inherited with my plot took a good beating in the winds.  Luckily, I've managed to get new glass for it.

I read somewhere, that you can use silicone sealant instead of the usual sealing stuff.

Would I apply a large amount of the sealant to the frame, let it dry, and then fit in the glass as normal, using clips.  Or is it more common for the glass to be put in while the sealant is still wet?

Many thanks

Lee
« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 16:22:03 by lee79 »

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
Re: Sealing greenhouse glass
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 22:14:04 »
The greenhouse I got last year is in my allotment now. I siliconed the area of frame the glass was placed a bit at a time. I also still use the W clips and glass holding clips.  Not one bit has come out or been damaged in all the gales we have had since. Touch wood.  ;)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 22:33:00 by ktlawson »
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

euronerd

• Acre
  • West Yorks
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 22:28:28 »
When I'm next in your position lee, I'm going to try some some sort of rubbery sealer that doesn't set hard. I guess if you apply the glass straight on to a bead of silicone it'll act as a glue, giving you a devil of a job if the glass is broken in the future. My theory is to apply the sealer, let it cure, then put the glass in. I'm already using some of this stuff for another job and it would be ideal. If you're interested I can send a pic of the tube or something. You'll still need the 'W' clips of course, assuming it's an aluminium greenhouse, but they're not a problen to find.

Geoff.
You can't please all of the people all of the time, but you can't upset them all at once either.

Slug_killer

• Acre
  • I wanna be a slug.
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 23:04:26 »
When I'm next in your position lee, I'm going to try some some sort of rubbery sealer that doesn't set hard. I guess if you apply the glass straight on to a bead of silicone it'll act as a glue, giving you a devil of a job if the glass is broken in the future. My theory is to apply the sealer, let it cure, then put the glass in. I'm already using some of this stuff for another job and it would be ideal. If you're interested I can send a pic of the tube or something. You'll still need the 'W' clips of course, assuming it's an aluminium greenhouse, but they're not a problen to find.

Geoff.

Thats exactly what I did.

Apply, Dry, then glaze and secure with clips. If the glass is still loose, remove and apply some more gunk.

If you glaze while wet, its a pain to remove the gunk when re-glazing, both from the glass and from the frame.
When Santa's about, just hoe-hoe-hoe

lee79

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 09:29:57 »
Thanks for the replies.

My idea was to let it dry first, mainly for the difficulties that might arise from them being 'glued' in.  Just making sure I was not missing any advantages of them being stuck in i.e. better sealed or whatever.

I've already got the clips, as I going to use the usual type of sealant, but I need absolutely loads, so thought better of it.

Lee.

davee52uk

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008, 21:19:18 »
I look after the large, communal greenhouse for the allotmenst. This has nearly all of its panes secured with little spots of clear sealant. Although there are extensive clips etc I find the glass slips down rather than falls out os hoping the "glue" will keep the panes in their place.

timf

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2008, 10:48:58 »
the thin draught excluder foam from b&q and the like is cheap and works well for a cushion for the glass to sit on.

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2008, 11:49:00 »
You can also use greenhouse galazing foam rubber seal.

This comes in 15m/20m rolls and is used to replace the old rubber seal.Its sticky on one side for use with glass and double sided for use on polycarbonate.

I have just bought some along with some new overlap clips,wire glazing strips and greenhouse bolts.

I got them from greenhouse warehouse.com
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

lee79

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2008, 12:27:46 »
the thin draught excluder foam from b&q and the like is cheap and works well for a cushion for the glass to sit on.

This is what's already on it (although it's rock solid due to being painted over).  I'm weighing up the pro's and con's.  One of the reasons I thought of sealant is because the foam I saw was quite expensive, for a little bit, but looking at the link provided, the rolls are not as expensive as I thought.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal