Author Topic: Using Plastic?  (Read 2372 times)

Susiebelle

• Hectare
Using Plastic?
« on: April 02, 2008, 11:38:28 »
Hope this is the right place for this query?.
I am building a Frame 5'6" high around one of my raised beds approx size 18' x 4' to house my tomatoes, lost the lot last year to blight >:(. I was going to use glass for the roof but I have had a lot break over the last couple of mths - not sure whether its the kids or winds or combination of both? However the broken glass was encased by aluminium frames (remnants of double glazed units) and I would like to cover  these frames with plastic.
Here's the question how do I secure did not want to use staples as surely the wind will get in there and weaken? is there some sort of glue that can be used? anyone any ideas?

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
Re: Using Plastic?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 12:17:58 »
Susiebell,
 I was going to do a similar thing but on a wood frame. Did it last year and all the plastic got blown to bits!
So this year I am going for corrugated plastic roof, (£6.00 a sheet from Focus)which I am going to screw onto the frame, could you not do the same but with bolts?
The sides of mine will be plastic again, but this time I am going to put batons over the top of the plastic (from pallets) for more protection against wind damage!

DP
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Susiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 15:04:08 »
Thanks Doris-Pinks I will call into Focus later today hopefully!

davee52uk

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 21:16:51 »
Try black, all weather sealant. It does come in other colours I think. This worked on the cold frames I had.

You may find plastic a bit expensive though. For my green house to replace with glass was £90 but plastic was over £300.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal