Author Topic: Jobs for the weekend...  (Read 4653 times)

chlodonnay2

• Not So New ...
Jobs for the weekend...
« on: March 28, 2008, 18:13:45 »
Just wondering what everyone is going to be doing at the allotment this weekend (if it is not raining!). I am wanting to plant my mange tout plants which are getting quite big, and also hope to put down some slabs to make a patio area. I also have tomatoes and chillis that desperately need potting on. Lets hope the sun comes out!  :)

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
Re: Jobs for the weekend...
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 18:20:55 »
Yes indeed, we are in need of some sunshine now. I am getting worn out putting shading up, taking it down and putting it up again........... ::)

I start a little part time job this weekend, so my gardening is only weekdays till the longer days really kick in, it won't be long  ;D

I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

Vortex

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 18:44:41 »
I'm hoping to get some potatoes in, and possibly some more digging done.

Re your mange-tout. It's a little early yet unless you're going to protect them with fleece. If they're 6-8" or taller and you haven't pinched the growing tips out do so. This'll force them to sprout side shoots and you should get a better crop. ie treat them like sweet peas.

Tohellwithweeds

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008, 19:15:26 »
I'm going to give my lotty a good tidy up as it looks a mess and build a compost home for the manure Ive got then move all the wood down to the bottom and clear the place where the new hen house and run are going to be and if it stays dry do some digging or rotavate so i wont be home much this weekend i wonder if any one will notice ::) ::)
Link To My Pictures
http://s265.photobucket.com/albums/ii229/ToHellWithWeeds/?mediafilter=images

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008, 19:18:59 »
getting the bean poles up  ;D

Gazfoz

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2008, 19:41:27 »
Prepare the beds some more and get some spuds in hopefully :)

DeeBee

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2008, 19:44:57 »
I will get my spuds in
I will get my spuds in
I will get my spuds in......

Flippin' weather!

alfie

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2008, 19:49:21 »
 I am getting my hair done! Will hide my nails form hairdresser-definately have developed gardene'rs hands lately!  Am planning a mad sowing session weds through to weekend as weather looks more promising down south according to met office long range forcast. Any one else? ;)
just call me Dottie Lottie.........

foresterone

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2008, 20:07:27 »
I want to plant my potatoes but rain is forecast again. Missed out this afternoon we had an hour without any! When will spring arrive........

beckydore

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2008, 20:37:59 »
Get the first earlies in .. I have my seconds in already but only because they were sprouting further!
Clear some space so I can start putting in the onions, shallots, garlic and million seedlings that are taking over the house!!!

Tomorrow looks wet and I am going walking but Sunday I think is drier.

Becky

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2008, 20:55:06 »
Tomorrow if the 60mph winds dont come then i will be having a marathon potato planting session.

Currently reading The Potato Book by Alan Romans to make sure that I plant them correctly ;)

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2008, 21:00:33 »
60mph winds are here already - nearly lost a plastic greenhouse earlier!  I intend to buy some more compost (I will not buy more flower seeds, I will not buy more flower seeds, I will not buy more flower seeds - oooooooo pretties!!!!  ;D ;D ;D) and plant some spuds in containers as it looks too wet to be going up the lottie.  I will also sort out my plastic greenhouses into veg/flowers/sensory garden and repot my tomatoes.  Then I will be reading all sorts of boring text books that I swore I'd be reading all week and haven't!
What I lack in ability and experience, I make up for in sheer enthusiasm!!!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2008, 21:05:12 »
Me. something sitting down,John dismantling a freecycle 8x10 Greenhouse to replace the rotten old wood one he had to knock down a couple of weeks ago.
XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Blista

• Not So New ...
  • I dig - therefore i am!
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2008, 21:05:43 »
I too am hoping to plant some spuds - but am pretty sure the Midlands weather will try and scupper that plan. But i'll almost certainly get my titchy balcony cleared - to give myself somewhere to stick my seedlings once the window ledges start to bow.
A Veggie New Age Song:

Peas would rule the planets,
and love would clear the bars.
It was the dawning of the Age of Asparagus.

bluehousehill

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2008, 21:07:22 »
Im going to finish my potato raised bed. I had all day booked out to do loads but the weather was really bad. I am defenitly going to put some potatoes in large containers... I only just made my mind up after reading last post. Iam still in clearing mode and I have been working solid for two weeks but today it was so wet I got no where. I am still on the search for compost this wekend as well, I really hope the sun comes out at some point.
Ní hé lá na gaoithe lá na scolb.
A windy day is not the day to be fixing your thatch (roof).

ninnyscrops

• Hectare
  • Doing what comes naturally......in West Sussex
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2008, 21:08:13 »
Jeannine - SNAP - 9.30 am tomorrow hubby and I will be dismantling an 8 x 10  ;D
If I ever get it all right - then that's the time to quit.

gardening-gal

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2008, 21:16:07 »
I too am hoping to get some spuds in and make up two beds for the kids to plant whatever they like.
 Please go away rain.

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2008, 21:33:21 »
A seed sowing marathon by the look of the weather!

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2008, 22:11:21 »
Seed sowing and potting the chillis on. Fitting a autovent to greenhouse on sunday.

chlodonnay2

• Not So New ...
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2008, 23:33:54 »
Hi Vortex- thanks for the advice. They have been outside in pots for a few weeks now- I was hoping I could get them in the ground...do you think not? I am in Brighton so technically warmer than some places. I can't remember when I put them in last year, but think it was around now (it was a lot warmer however and no snow last year!)
Happy weekend all  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal