Author Topic: Jobs for the weekend...  (Read 4655 times)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Jobs for the weekend...
« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2008, 11:08:34 »
A foot apart, in trenches 3 foot six apart. They said to put them six inches down, but this was very hit and miss.

sims girl

• Quarter Acre
  • my daughters pet
« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2008, 12:36:38 »

even though l should be down my lottie l will be in London so l will have to find some time in the week hope you all have a great time down the  lottie and that rain stays away.   

;D have fun

Jitterbug

• Hectare
  • Dance as if no one is watching...
    • Leighton Lottie
« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2008, 15:58:56 »
Well after church on Sunday I was only suppose to go to the shop and fetch a few odds and ends and suddenly I found myself on the lottie.  Thank goodness I was in long pants and sneakers! (I only went to water the plants in the greenhouse - she cried!!) :o :o

DH was not impressed as I had promised him a roast dinner at 14:00.  I only got home at 16:00!  Happy but muddy.  I managed to get my gladiolas in (first time growing this year), I put all my dahlias in their new raised bed, planted out the broad beans who were making a dash for freedom out of their pots, built at tepee for my autumn sown sweet peas and planted them out as well so all in all the gloomy face at home was worth it!

Needless to say I now have to wash my sneakers as I did not have my steel toe boots with me!  Next weekend, weather permitting I am going to plant my spuds!!! 

;D ;D ;D ;D
Jitterbug
If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning....

Twirlie

• Half Acre
« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2008, 20:08:29 »
Sneakers?????  Dansneakers???  Are you a dancer?  American ?  or an Amaricanism(as my mom! calls them) that you've picked up?  Just wondering as I get confused myself between English and American sometimes, worked on Cruise Ships for 13yrs!  Dancer - hense Twirlie! ;D

sims girl

• Quarter Acre
  • my daughters pet
« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2008, 21:19:19 »

yes but it was a great day for your lottie jitterbug

twinkletoes

• Hectare
« Reply #45 on: April 02, 2008, 08:53:28 »
Half way through the week and I am planning the weekend ahead. Weather permitting (ie. please, no more rain before Sunday) the spuds need to go in (mid early), I also want to do some sowing and, as ever, weeding.  If the weather does let me down  :( then I guess I'll be sowing some more seeds in the greenhouse.
twinkletoes

Powderfan

• Not So New ...
« Reply #46 on: April 02, 2008, 09:39:56 »
Hi Guys and Gals

I always make grand plans of what to do but my life tends to conspire against me so they normally go out the window.

Anyway, I plan to plant the last of my spuds.  I have already got two rows each of four different varieties in (first earlies are up already) so just using up the spares for an extra row or two.  Then I need to do final pre work on two areas of the plot for my root veg and brassicas.  Root veg to be sown direct to soil while brassicas are currently hardening off/ being potted up.  Final task is to plant out my pea plants into my raised bed, they are about 8" tall now and have been hardening off all be it during this wet mild period.

Thats about it for a weekend as I will probably not get on site for both days.  The wife seems to divert my attention so I have yet to spend a whole day on the plot.

Fingers crossed for the weather.

Michael

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #47 on: April 02, 2008, 10:10:21 »
well I would like to plant the maincrop spuds but dunno if I will have time or if the weather will allow.
Otherwise I have to still do a lot of tidying up, weed the flower bed and sow the new flower seeds (just ordinary stuff like zinneas, marguerites etc, nasturtiums) and I also need to tidy up the bed for the carrots and beets.
I want to go get some more manure, it is starting to get urgent, and I also need to take care of all my little seedlings - they need pricking out. Especially the lettuce which is all long and floppy  :(
I had also thought of making a little makeshift coldframe on my balcony with the showerscreen I picked up off a skip, since I know that I won't get down teh lot often enough to take good care of the seedlings.
This is all starting to look like a lot of work isn't it?  :D
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Jitterbug

• Hectare
  • Dance as if no one is watching...
    • Leighton Lottie
« Reply #48 on: April 02, 2008, 13:14:04 »
Sorry "Sneakers" are like gym shoes.  In South Africa we call them Takis - not sure what they call them over here in the UK - thought they were sneakers!!

Jitterbug
If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning....

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #49 on: April 02, 2008, 15:36:03 »
Trainers?

ninnyscrops

• Hectare
  • Doing what comes naturally......in West Sussex
« Reply #50 on: April 02, 2008, 22:31:29 »
Plimsolls ??? Black or white, with laces or elastic  ;D
If I ever get it all right - then that's the time to quit.

hazelize_uk

• Half Acre
  • Northampton
« Reply #51 on: April 02, 2008, 22:59:34 »
pumps??

and another vote for getting our spuds in and maybe making some carrot seed tapes if its too wet  ;D

Powderfan

• Not So New ...
« Reply #52 on: April 07, 2008, 09:43:20 »
Hi Guys and Gals

As predicted the weather was not too good in my neck of the woods this weekend.  Heavy snow on Sunday and wet on Saturday (Early morning was nice though).  Due to the demands of a demanding wife I only managed to water my greenhouse plants and pick up a trailer load of manure for my corn, bean and squash bed.  I managed to throw on about 12 sacks and recon I need another 4.  Once this is raked over the bed I will rotovate it in ready for planting.  The manure is a little green but this did not seem to cause any problems last year and the plants all grew really well.  Besides all that muck has got to be good for breaking up my clay soil somewhat. 

The forcast for this week is also not good so it does not look like I will be getting last weekends jobs done then.  Fingers crossed, and lets hope mother nature gives us an extra week or two of good weater at the end of the season to make up for it.

Michael

Ant

• Half Acre
« Reply #53 on: April 07, 2008, 13:58:10 »
Spud trenches dug... 3 and a bit done  :) Another couple to do, but they are for main crops so no rush.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #54 on: April 08, 2008, 08:02:09 »
I got my asparagus mulched and a dozen barrowloads of soil from one of my piles distributed over a low patch where the onions are due to go in I had hoped to plant them, but didn't get that far. This time last year I was stuggling with a large area which needed to have perennial weeds dug out of it; that aspect of things at least seems to have got suddenly easier.

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #55 on: April 08, 2008, 08:20:37 »
Just wondering what everyone is going to be doing at the allotment this weekend (if it is not raining!). I am wanting to plant my mange tout plants which are getting quite big, and also hope to put down some slabs to make a patio area. I also have tomatoes and chillis that desperately need potting on. Lets hope the sun comes out!  :)
My mange tout plants have been in for three weeks and are fine. The radishes are up and have not got frosted either.

Too early to plant out tomatoes and chillis, they need cover until the risk of frost is gone but a cloche or/and fleece will protect them.

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #56 on: April 08, 2008, 14:30:10 »
Ant

I have never seen potato trenches like yours - they look very good - so what do you do?  How deep is the trench before you put the straw in?  How much straw and why do you use it!

Loads of questions but interested to see other peeps ideas!?

Old Bird

::)

Ant

• Half Acre
« Reply #57 on: April 08, 2008, 17:04:05 »
Ant

I have never seen potato trenches like yours - they look very good - so what do you do?  How deep is the trench before you put the straw in?  How much straw and why do you use it!

Loads of questions but interested to see other peeps ideas!?

Old Bird

The trench is dug to about a spades depth and each trench is 2.5 to 3 foot apart. The soil from each trench is put in this gap for later earthing up. The bottom of the trench is levelled with the azada (or spade) and then manure is sprinkled in. We have placed straw over the manure and then the potatoes are placed on that.

The depth of the trench to the straw is probably about 6" or 7". Once the spuds are in I covered them with a couple of inches of soil from the ridges. Once the plants are showing and a few inches high, it should be easy enough to earth them up  :)

I bet I have gone to deep and end up digging a fair way down looking for spuds later in the year  :D
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 17:22:53 by Ant »

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #58 on: April 09, 2008, 12:04:44 »
Thanks for that Ant.   

They certainly are impressive!  I may try the same but on a smaller scale as I don't think I have room for so many potatoes!

Cheers

Old Bird

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal