Author Topic: Alpine strawberries  (Read 3159 times)

davholla

• Hectare
Alpine strawberries
« on: March 26, 2008, 12:12:36 »
Has anyone grown these from seed ?
If so what varieties and where from ?

markfield rover

• Hectare
Re: Alpine strawberries
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 12:21:39 »
Mignonette from T&M and there was another too again T&M this was several years ago they look after themselves and self seed
great taste and the budgies dont eat them.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 12:37:17 »
I have not grown any yet but I have a packet of alpine strawberry Frageria vesca.I can not remember where I got them from but the supplier is Suffolk Herbs in kelvedon Essex.
 The packet says a very hardy strong flavoured variety,especially attractive as a garnish.Makes delicious jam and needs no pectin as a high level is found in the fruit.The fruit is rich in vitamin c and iron and a tea from the leaves may be used for the treatment of the liver,fever,anaemia and as a a general tonic.

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 12:46:58 »
I've started growing these from seed, no idea what they are, they were in a box with 4 separate fruits from Wilko's! But they appear to be pretty indestructible!
What I lack in ability and experience, I make up for in sheer enthusiasm!!!

davholla

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 12:55:11 »
Mignonette from T&M and there was another too again T&M this was several years ago they look after themselves and self seed
great taste and the budgies dont eat them.
When did you plant them was late March / April ?

Do you have wild budgies in your garden ?

Also advice on how to sow them ?  Do you do it in a seed tray first of all and then plant them out ?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 12:58:38 by davholla »

dtw

• Hectare
  • What grows, You decide!
    • Classic & Cheesy TV adverts and other funny stuff
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008, 13:09:18 »
Do you have wild budgies in your garden ?

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 13:16:47 »
I'm growing these.  Instructions were sow Jan-Mar at 65-70F on surface of compost covered with plastic bag and do not exclude light.  Germination takes 14-30 days.  It worked for me.   :)

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Susiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 13:38:44 »
Hi I grew Mignonette from seed last year, very easy plant. I started mine in jiffy 7's in march planted out in April down both sides of my raspberries - couldn't keep up with the harvesting, the birds in general leave them alone. They are fabulous on muesli but do go over very quickly, all the kids love them as they are just like sweeties. Good luck

sawfish

• Hectare
  • glasgow dreamer
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2008, 13:44:25 »
I have some Frageria Vesca from sutton seeds growing at the bottom of my plot, lovely little plants. Gave me some strawbs in the first year. I want them to self seed a bit.

I just sowed them in a small pot of compost in the greenhouse last april and pricked them out.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 13:47:01 by sawfish »

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2008, 14:21:23 »
I tend to call all birds' budgies' it's easier that way! Enjoy the strawbs they are the ones the French use in their pastries.

Weed-Digga

• Half Acre
  • Slough, BERKS
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2008, 20:55:37 »
For something a bit special have a look at this site

http://www.fraisesdesbois.com/

Or, for a cheapie option, they have got little grow kits of Alpine Strawbs in the 99p shop

Weed-Digga
If it's Rosie's allotment - how come Muggins here does so much digging?

DenBee

• Acre
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2008, 21:03:59 »
I bought a mini propagator kit of alpine strawberries (Fragaria Verscans, according to the label) in Home Bargains for 79p just under 2 weeks ago.  When I got it home and read the instructions, they informed me I had to put the seed packet in the freezer for 2 - 4 weeks.  It's in there now, so I have no idea about how successful any further steps are going to be.  :D
Tread softly, for you tread on my greens.

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2008, 21:18:10 »
i sowed two lots the first ones i hadnt read about freezing and only one germinated however from the packet i did freeze for 2 weeks all have germinated pretty much

DeeBee

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2008, 21:20:20 »
Growing Mignonette (T&M0 for the first time this year, germinated well on a heated propagator, rather terrified of pricking out the tiny little plants though, may leave them a bit longer yet or my sausage fingers may crush them!

DenBee

• Acre
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2008, 21:23:17 »
i sowed two lots the first ones i hadnt read about freezing and only one germinated however from the packet i did freeze for 2 weeks all have germinated pretty much

Good to hear, Debs.  It's my first time of growing strawberries of any kind from seed - prior to this I've bought plants from places like Lidl.  Hope I have as much success as you with the currently chillin' seeds.   :)

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2008, 02:13:51 »
Have grown mignonette from seed, started then off in a seed tray sown in autumn, then planted out direct into the soil in spring, but they'd do fine in pots I guess. Small slightly seedy berries very sweet. Nice to nibble on the plot, nice for decoration on cakes and pastries. Ok in cooking also as they hold their shape better  than normal strawberries. Personally, wouldn't use up a lot of space growing them as they're fiddly to pick. Pretty plants to look at though, too.

davholla

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2008, 09:12:03 »
Do I need to freeze them first ?

DenBee

• Acre
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2008, 09:19:30 »
Davholla, according to the instructions on my alpine strawberry seeds, then yes, for 2 - 4 weeks.

Judging by Debster's results, you'll get better germination that way.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal