Author Topic: Has anyone got their peas in yet?  (Read 2519 times)

springbok

• Hectare
Re: Has anyone got their peas in yet?
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2008, 15:54:08 »
SBG you would have a nice line of regular holes where they had dug them out...
 ;D

On closer inspection, there are no holes at all lol. 

However does not solve the mystery of all the raddish seeds being moved lol.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2008, 16:34:23 »
i found last year straight in the ground was best. Have already sown some Kelvedon WOnder and Early Onward (very good price from Alan Romans)
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2008, 17:15:24 »
I get far better results from peas if I put a cloche over them till they get going. I'm not sure why. Mine will be going in in a few weeks; there's no hurry and I've got other things to get in first. I've got Alderman, Ne Pus Ulta, Purple Podded and Magnum Bonum, but only in fairly small quantities so they won't actually take over the plot.

hazelize_uk

• Half Acre
  • Northampton
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2008, 21:49:00 »
We have 3 trays of the good old paper pots full. 2 peas per pot.  We germinated them indoors for about a week and then moved them straight out into unheated greenhouse.  Going to wait another couple of weeks before putting them outm getting their trenches ready.  Kelvedon wonder and aldermans

louise stella

• Hectare
  • We're half way there Mum!!!!!
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2008, 22:00:36 »
Yep!

I put mine in three weeks ago and I have two lines of lovely little seedlings!

Louise
Grow yer bugger grow!

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2008, 22:51:33 »
I've put two rows in a week or so ago. One row of earlies (Not sure of the name, the packet is in the shed) and the other row from seed I saved from last year to see what goes best.

Nothing up yet though. Albeit my leeks and carrots are both up, both planted outside on the lottie with no protection.
Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2008, 22:58:41 »
How would I know if I have mice in my garden??

If you look closely you'll see tyre tracks from the little wheel barrows that they use to carry the peas away with, it's a dead give away  ::)

I always keep a fully loaded trap both in my shed and greenhouse.

Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

springbok

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2008, 23:13:00 »
How would I know if I have mice in my garden??

If you look closely you'll see tyre tracks from the little wheel barrows that they use to carry the peas away with, it's a dead give away  ::)

I always keep a fully loaded trap both in my shed and greenhouse.

Actually theres a small hole under in the corner of the glass cloche... and there is this tiny spade they left behind... looks like the great escape ;)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2008, 09:06:10 »
our meteor were grown in a gutter,,planted out 2 weeks ago, looking very healthy, 2 more guttersfull in the poly showing  :)

Susiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2008, 09:41:09 »
I always sow mine into guttering, using compost/vermiculite and leave them long enough for the roots to create their own matting, don't seem to have any problem (so far!) transferring into ground although it does help if you can find someone else to help initially. Autumn sown have been in the ground with cloche since before Christmas - looking good fingers crossed!

adrianhumph

• Acre
  • Camberley, Surrey.
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2008, 10:15:14 »
 Hi all,
           I followed a tip & sowed some sugar snap peas in the autumn along with my sweet peas. These have grown really well through the winter in my cold frame, they have been pinched out & are now nice & bushy  ;D They are obviously hardened off, & will be planted out this weekend at the lottie (weather permitting  >:()  Hopefully I will get a good early crop

Adrian.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal