Author Topic: Has anyone got their peas in yet?  (Read 2528 times)

jonny211

• Acre
Has anyone got their peas in yet?
« on: March 27, 2008, 10:19:32 »
Hiya,

The title pretty much says it all, has anyone got their peas in the ground yet? Mine are still in the greenhouse as I'm not sure how hardy the early varieties are - but they're getting too big for their trays and need to come out.

Cheerio.

Jon

springbok

• Hectare
Re: Has anyone got their peas in yet?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 10:25:02 »
I put early variety seeds in about 5 weeks ago under fleece, but nothing is showing yet  :(

Sinbad7

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 11:05:04 »
Sowed mine outside in February and they have germinated fine.  Early peas are hardy, so think you will be fine getting them out.

Sinbad

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 11:12:25 »
I put early variety seeds in about 5 weeks ago under fleece, but nothing is showing yet  :(

Check for mice.

Rohaise

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 11:18:07 »
Yep I,ve sown Mangetout peas last week....and some sweetpeas too . Rohaise

Common_Clay

• Acre
  • Loved
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008, 11:20:42 »
I thought I'd try what they do on tv with my peas, and started them in a compost-filled gutter in the shed. They went great guns, but after digging a trench and 'sliding' them in, they ended up being about half the length of the guttering. I covered them with a cloche, and subsequently forgot how they'd find water  :-\ Still, a few survived and yesterday I took the cloche off so that they can fend for themselves. Probably a bad move, but then there are only about five plants there! Hey ho, it's all a learning curve.  ;D

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
  • Dark Side Of The Rhubarb
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2008, 11:30:06 »
I had the same trouble Common_Clay - better to use soil rather then compost in the guttering - it stays compact when you move it/slide it. Or maybe line the bottom with an open mesh, and pull that (not tried it)

2 lots of peas all up at the plot, the lucky ones under a cloche for the last week or so
mange-tout sown yesterday

sawfish

• Hectare
  • glasgow dreamer
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2008, 11:34:15 »
I've had 6 or 7 varieties sowed 3 to a 3.5 inch pot in a cold frame for 4 or 5 weeks. They're just showing now. Hope these frosts dont kill them off.

I'm just going to plant the three together straight out the pot. I've got my dung (not mine personally ;)) dug into the ground along a fence so they can grow up it.

Apparently they damp off easily to don't keep soaking them.

I thought I'd try what they do on tv with my peas, and started them in a compost-filled gutter in the shed. They went great guns, but after digging a trench and 'sliding' them in, they ended up being about half the length of the guttering. I covered them with a cloche, and subsequently forgot how they'd find water  :-\ Still, a few survived and yesterday I took the cloche off so that they can fend for themselves. Probably a bad move, but then there are only about five plants there! Hey ho, it's all a learning curve.  ;D

just poke some peas into the spaces Common Clay. I soak them in paraffin first for a few minutes.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 12:33:56 by sawfish »

Sinbad7

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2008, 11:46:04 »
Watching Carol Klein on the beeb started me off growing peas again, she covered her rows of peas that she had sown/planted with 'Holly' to stop the mice, so as I have a holly bush on one of my plots, I thought I must try it out and it worked a treat last year so have done it again this year too, all looks okay so far although I have had a bit of trouble with the holly blowing away this year, with all the wind :o  But none eaten yet.

Sinbad

Common_Clay

• Acre
  • Loved
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2008, 11:50:08 »
I had the same trouble Common_Clay - better to use soil rather then compost in the guttering - it stays compact when you move it/slide it.

Wish I'd thought of that...  ??? Nice tip, thanks!

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2008, 11:52:08 »
I've started some in large modules in my cold greenhouse, to plant out when big enough on wigwams. Helps them get to a good size before the creatures have a go! ;D
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2008, 11:57:48 »
What a good idea Sinbad.We have a mice population so I will definitely try that.I prefer to sow mine direct in the ground :)

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2008, 12:18:51 »
got hundreds on the go, successionally sown, and already one batch planted out - I always cover my trays with fleece to stop the mice getting at them, once well germinated they tend to leave them alone  :)

Ant

• Half Acre
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2008, 12:36:49 »
Our Kelvedon Wonder peas are in toilet roll pots in the cold frame, they have been out for about a week and nothing germinated yet.

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2008, 12:57:24 »
started these off in guttering, end of feb in unheated greenhouse, hardened off for 10 days, including snow!, planted them yesterday, Tonybloke, Norfolk
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh89/tonybloke/Peas%2025%203%2008/SS100622.jpg
You couldn't make it up!

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2008, 13:38:12 »
I had 2 trays planted up a couple of weeks ago but they went then the greenhouse did a runner.

I do want to go out and plant up the minigreenhouse this weekend with peas but its just 2 wet so might have to hold off for a week.

springbok

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2008, 13:54:58 »

Check for mice.

How would I know if I have mice in my garden??  Would that explain no germination and the radish seeds being moved too??

Half the peas are under a glass cloche, the others under fleece

jonny211

• Acre
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2008, 14:16:14 »
I think I'll take the plunge and plant them out this weekend then.

Many thanks!

jon

gunnerbee

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2008, 14:28:53 »
just about to tonight

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2008, 15:02:25 »
SBG you would have a nice line of regular holes where they had dug them out...
 ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal