Author Topic: slow cooker recipes  (Read 16199 times)

debster

• Hectare
slow cooker recipes
« on: March 19, 2008, 12:22:17 »
Im looking for some slow cooker recipies particularly those involving large cuts of meat. We bought one a long time ago and never used it very much until we read about cooking your sunday chicken in it and we are well impressed. sunday morning is rugby morning so we put the meat in go out and come back and its fab, also when i am on nights its great to put it in before i go to bed then get up to a beautifully cooked meal, any recipes well received please  ;D

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
Re: slow cooker recipes
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 12:32:29 »
I just use usual recipes and shove them in the slow cooker for 6-8 hours!, but I did buy 'New Recipes for your Slo-Cooker' by Annette Yates, debster.
Worth every penny as a slo-cooker bible. It seems to cover most things.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 12:34:21 by Emagggie »
Smile, it confuses people.

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 12:39:23 »
ooh thanks i will go and google

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 01:08:03 »
I love a joint of beef done in the slow cooker, it may seem a waste to some. But it doesnt shrink as much, it gets infused with herbs, onion, celery and whatever else goes in. And is soooooo tender.

MMMmmmmmmmmmmmm!!
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

prink13

• Hectare
  • Sleeping the day away!
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2008, 08:31:42 »
I do Lamb Shanks in slow cooker, just put them in with a few shallots or onions, garlic and rosemary and a bottle of red wine. Cook for anything up to 12 hours - everyone loves it, but I'm a vegetarian, so only do veggy stew!!

Kathi
Kathi :-)

Rosyred

• Hectare
  • West London
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2008, 10:26:55 »
Star: use brisket of beef for slow cooker its cheaper if you want to save a few pounds it works just as well.

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2008, 12:48:57 »
Yes Rosy, I do brisket too. I only used a proper joint because my oven broke but to be honest its fabulous done in the slow cooker. Its cost effective too as the meat doesn't shrink as much ;).

I still love them roasted as well though ;D
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

sarah

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2008, 12:52:26 »
i dont know anything about slow cookers so tell me - what do they do (apart from cook things slowly)? i mean are they more economical than cooking something slowly on the hob or in the oven? sorry if that sounds a bit dim.  :)

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2008, 21:54:57 »
Where do you get lamb shanks from these days please tell asap, thank you.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2008, 21:57:39 »
I used to buy some really nice ones from iceland but I have moved and do not want to travel the distance. :)

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2008, 22:37:11 »
tesco sell them when they have them hubby gets them from the butcher at work they are awesome ;D

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2008, 22:38:30 »
i dont know anything about slow cookers so tell me - what do they do (apart from cook things slowly)? i mean are they more economical than cooking something slowly on the hob or in the oven? sorry if that sounds a bit dim.  :)

Slow cookers use the minimum amount of heat.Im not sure what heats them these days but when they first came out I believe it was a little light bulb.

We have tried and tried but cannot master the heart of cooking beef in the oven.So e brown it on all sides and put it in the slow cooker for about 6/7 hours and its really tender then and no blood in sight....I once had beef that a good vet would have got breathing again.....yuk!

Dutch ovens are great for energy saving too and you can cook anything in those.
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2008, 22:40:52 »
Now I can't find my recipe but it was a chunk of meat, a bottle of beer and some (lots) chopped onions, pepper, and some tomatoes...I think that was all ::) Slow cook it. Very yummy.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

Ant

• Half Acre
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2008, 23:26:51 »
same as Grannieannie here...

Take 1 cut of brisket, add 1 bottle of beer of choice (hobgoblin is good) add a ton of chopped veg and then add enough beef stock to make sure its covered.

Fantastic stuff.  :)

sarah

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2008, 09:59:17 »
o my that sounds lovely. i must make some of that.   :D

Rosyred

• Hectare
  • West London
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2008, 13:46:16 »
Sainsbury's & Asda do Lamb shanks too.

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2008, 14:49:14 »
 One tip I picked up off the Delia message board was to warm the pot using a kettle of boiling water and leave for a few minutes.   The instructions said not to switch on empty and some recipes say warm the pot first, so this idea solved my problem.

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2008, 15:28:43 »
Im looking for some slow cooker recipies particularly those involving large cuts of meat. We bought one a long time ago and never used it very much until we read about cooking your sunday chicken in it and we are well impressed. sunday morning is rugby morning so we put the meat in go out and come back and its fab, also when i am on nights its great to put it in before i go to bed then get up to a beautifully cooked meal, any recipes well received please  ;D

For something a little out of the ordinary, try kleftiko lamb.  There are many variations on the theme if you search the web for recipes, but the one we favour is very simple:

Cover the base of the slow cooker pot with little new potatoes, or quartered old potatoes, coated with a little olive oil and turmeric.  Add several cloves of garlic, peeled but left whole.  Put your piece of lamb on top of the potatoes. We often use a boned shoulder, cut into two or three large pieces, but leg is also good, or chops. Cook until done. The potatoes absorb the juices from the lamb and the lamb absorbs the garlic flavour. Delectable.

caseylee

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2008, 15:32:36 »
I use my slow cooker for everything, from chicken curry to whole chicken, to plain stew.  I always do everything in the morning, and put it on low and then by 4ish we are ready to eat.  My husband makes gorgous stews in it aswell.  We both work and have two youngs boys so it is a life saver for us, you can do anything you would normaly do in the cooker in a slow cooker, cause it cooks slower and at a lower heat it makes meat juicer and more tender, plus it saves you running round after school run lol.  I usually go on the internet and type in slow cooker recipes and it brings up tons, also look for a web page called student cooking there are nice cheap and easy recipes on there aswell that taste gorgeous

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2008, 16:06:33 »
I often thought about curries Caseylee......do they stain the pot?

and if youve got any slow cooker curry recipes they wouldnt go amiss  ;) ;D
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal