Author Topic: slow cooker recipes  (Read 16204 times)

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
Re: slow cooker recipes
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2008, 16:59:23 »
I too have succumbed to the call of the slow cooker and have ordered a Morphy Richards one today, plus a couple of recipe books to give me an idea of slow cooking cuisine! 8)
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

springbok

• Hectare
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2008, 17:51:04 »
Boiling stock to cover ingreds LBB. Don't forget to preheat cooker - I just switch it on high while I prepare veg and brown the meat. You can add thickening agent at the begining i.e. coat meat & veg in flour before browning  or what ever you usually do, or 30 mins - 1 hour before the end of cooking. If you lift the lid during cooking  the book says you will need to add 30mins. Don't forget to change temp to low if you are cooking in it all day (or night). HTH. ;D
ps. don't know about dumplings as mine are always a disaster! I'm sure you could add them for the last hour if you turn up to high. Have a go and let me know. If it works, I'll have another go. ;D
Can't think of anything you can't use, just put veg at the bottom as they take a long time to cook in Slo cooker.

I do my dumplings in the slow cooker on top of my stew.

I put it on high and let it boil up.

I use:

8 Tablespoons of self raising flour
4 Tablespoons of Suet
pinch of salt
Mixed herbs
Enough water to make a sticky thick mixture.

Spoon it into spoonfuls on top of the stew, keeping it on high, put the lid on and have fluffy light dumplings.  I just poke a knife every now and then to see if they come out clean.  Usually takes 15 to 20 minutes.

Hope the above helps for dumplings :D

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2008, 20:43:47 »
SBG, thanks for the recipe. I will have another bash. I will repeat to myself........'you will not fail' ;D
Smile, it confuses people.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2008, 21:11:54 »
Having said to Calendula on the "losing weight" thread  that I like everything, I have to apologise openly here and acknowledge that I think dumplings of any form are totally repulsive. Yuk yuk double yuk.

littlebabybird

• Hectare
« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2008, 22:37:41 »
i think of myself as liking everything untill someone mentions broad or soya beans, Ill forgive you for the dumplings

littlebabybird

• Hectare
« Reply #45 on: April 08, 2008, 16:36:28 »
will mushrooms cook ok in a stewy thing in the slow cooker  and.......

if i need to add peas which have been frozen  i'll eed to defrost them first? and add them at what stage?

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #46 on: April 08, 2008, 17:42:13 »
Yes to the mushrooms, no to needing to defrost peas. Add them whenever you like. If you want them just done then probably about an hour before serving. Depends how big a proportion of the whole dish they are mind.

littlebabybird

• Hectare
« Reply #47 on: April 08, 2008, 18:30:01 »
thank you grawrc
I'm going to try it all out tomorrow

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2008, 11:31:58 »
Tried out the slow cooker yesterday for the first time, tried Irish Stew. Sauted the onions and carrots first like you are supposed to, used boiling stock, 8 hours later on medium the potatoes were still rock hard! I ended up putting the potatoes in a pan with some stock and boiling them for 20 minutes and then putting them back in for another coule of hours. The lamb was quite soft though......guess I need to practise more.... :-[
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #49 on: April 13, 2008, 22:45:55 »
Hmmmm....haven't put spuds in, usually do jackets with stew. If you cut them small and put them on the bottom it might be better. Making casserole tomorrow, so I'll experiment with spuds.
Smile, it confuses people.

springbok

• Hectare
« Reply #50 on: April 13, 2008, 23:08:38 »
Tried out the slow cooker yesterday for the first time, tried Irish Stew. Sauted the onions and carrots first like you are supposed to, used boiling stock, 8 hours later on medium the potatoes were still rock hard! I ended up putting the potatoes in a pan with some stock and boiling them for 20 minutes and then putting them back in for another coule of hours. The lamb was quite soft though......guess I need to practise more.... :-[

I cook potatos in my stews with no problem.  Do you have a setting for AUTO.
My slow cooker has HIGH, LOW, and AUTO on it. 
If you put it on AUTO, it switches between the two temprature settings, which will cook all the veg.
I also never saute anything when making stew... Just throw everything in raw, with the boiling stock to cover... still tastes delish.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #51 on: April 13, 2008, 23:15:35 »
Sadly no auto setting on mine, low, medium and high, instruction booklet suggests medium should be used most times for 4-8hrs , low for overnight. I bought the Morphy Richards model after reading lots of reviews, everyone seems happy with this model. I'm going to try a chicken based dish tomorrow, I'll let you know how I get on!

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #52 on: April 14, 2008, 20:26:59 »
Deb I have the morphy richards and love it though normally use high i learnt the same way you did, try it on high. tell you what it cooks a whole chicken beautifully

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #53 on: April 15, 2008, 11:52:05 »

You did put the spuds on the bottom and the meat on top, didn't you?  Root veg cook more slowly than meat in a slow cooker.  8 hours should be plenty of time, though!

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #54 on: April 15, 2008, 13:55:27 »
Yes I put the potatoes and carrots on the bottom, cut up small and sauted beforehand which is why I was suprised they still weren't done! I'm having a go with beef stew today, started this one on high setting after prewarming the pot with boiling water (as you're not supposed to switch it on empty), we shall see how it turns out! ;D

I've also bought a couple of slow cooker books to give me ideas which have a lot of hints and tips, and a useful 'troubleshooting' section, still can't work out what I did wrong with the Irish stew, I'm guessing it just needed to be at a higher setting for a while, then down to a medium.

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #55 on: April 16, 2008, 12:52:02 »
Deb, i don't know if you like sweet-sour type main dishes or not. If you do we like something called Afrikan Beans which is a kidney bean/bacon/green pepper/tomato/wine  recipe. Just made some yesterday which was great after a long day gardening and easy to fix. Will post if any interest.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #56 on: April 16, 2008, 15:03:23 »
That sound like the sort of thing OH would like!

The beef casserole turned out fine yesterday, started it off on high for two hours then down to medium for the rest.

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
« Reply #57 on: April 17, 2008, 12:17:25 »
Deb I have the morphy richards and love it though normally use high i learnt the same way you did, try it on high. tell you what it cooks a whole chicken beautifully
Deb, What temp for a whole chicken, please?

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
« Reply #58 on: April 17, 2008, 12:37:43 »
That sound like the sort of thing OH would like!

AFRIKAN BEANS:  USE THIS ORDER FOR LAYERING IN POT and DIVIDE these ingredients in half so you can layer twice

4 lbs drained canned red kidney beans or whatever the equivalent is in dried beans- pre-soaked probably
8 strips bacon  (some use Bacos)   (I also add sometimes some cooked hamburger for an even heartier meal)
2 onions chopped
2 green peppers chop
3 tomatoes chop
1 small bottle ketchup about 8 oz
1 cup brown sugar (8 oz)
1/4 to 1/2 cup red wine (2 to 4 oz)

6-8 hrs in a crockpot on High or 3 hrs at 300 F ( 148 C.) degrees in oven.
If you do this in the oven you can add an extra lb of beans..

« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 12:43:05 by GrannieAnnie »

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #59 on: April 17, 2008, 19:48:56 »
That sounds so good Annie! One for the weekend I think. Thank you.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal