Author Topic: Dedicated plant sections?  (Read 8105 times)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Re: Dedicated plant sections?
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2008, 12:46:17 »
I disagree Calendula, if Ken had popped one on for tomatoes I probably would have said why not squash and corn too as I get tons on  messages and PMs about these two veggies as well as tomatoes.

I do give the same info over and over again but I don't mind and there is almost something new to add. For a newbie I think it is very important that they can ask as many questions as they need to and not be nervous that they are asking for something already there, therefore I am happy to repeat the info.

I am a member of Daves Garden which is enormous, so much so that is it impossible to keep up and frankly I rarely post anything, also because they have specific threads sometimes one feels isolated from the forum veering off to find something

My opinion is leave it alone, this is not judging Ken, the fact that he is posting the question shows us he is working hard.

Places like the Watershed and and the Shed lighten up the forum which would be dreary if it was all plants etc.

I feel this is a gardening forum basically for allotmenteers and others who are dedicated growers, we have the same atmosphere here as we do on the allotments, we chat about veggies, flowers, animals, politics, the neighbours kids and a few naughty jokes chucked in too, lets not make it too formal or too professional,  someone said " over the garden fence" this is how I see it and this is what I would like to see it remain.

I choose not to bother with the photography because I find it overwhelming the old system I didn't, but that is just me, I would however hate it if other topics started to go the same way.

XX Jeannine

When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2008, 12:59:03 »
Have you ever been to GardenWeb? I think I went there first before joining A4A. Try navigating it. They have vegetable gardening messageboard separate from Alliums,... then there is a forum for harvest (where would I put a question about how to tell when you should harvest garlic, for example). Then there is seed saving, growing from seed, herbs, herbalism, attracting butterflies, attracting wildlife, companion planting, composting, frugal gardening, hot peppers, tomatoes, moss, heirloom gardens, historical gardens, ..... then there are the regional gardening messageboards there... far too many. It is a nightmare. Hardly been back since I came to A4A.
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

Admin aka Dan

• Administrator
  • Hectare
    • Allotments 4 All
« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2008, 13:58:25 »
It is a difficult balancing act splitting the forum into sections.

The layout is basically the same as when I launched the site all those years ago - I laid it out as I thought best, and luckily most people like it (it has even been emulated!).

I like the idea of splitting up the edibles section, it feels a little to all encompassing, but when the topic was raised a year ago, the support was not there, so it never happened!

As to dedicated threads for different plants, I do not think this would work - people would still post new threads (it is human nature), and the threads would get so long the same questions would be asked anyway!

At least when a new topic is started, people tend to read it, would you read a 40 page topic to try to find the answer to a simple question?

That is my 2pence worth!

Dan

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2008, 15:05:09 »
I'm not so sure.

For example, at the moment someone might ask whether they can pot on their leggy  tomato seedlings deeper and after a guru has said yes, someone else, because the forum isn't restricted to tomatoes,  will come in and ask can you do that with chillies / cucumbers / melons as well? It's not 'on thread' but still of interest.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2008, 15:26:57 »
My initial thoughts were that having separate sections for specific veg might be a good idea...and then I've watched the debate and feel differently.

I agree that one of the most important features of this forum is the capability to ask questions and get a helpful response, without being made to feel as if you are either stupid or intruding on a private party (as one forum I used to post on made me feel).

I also agree  the search feature could be utilised more often by some folk, but as Jeannine says, frequently  the information will be repeated anyway. Just being pointed to a previous post is impersonal, and may not fully answer the question.

This forum has a great relaxed feeling to it, I (usually!) feel very much amongst friends, so I can understand folk's reluctance to change the format when they feel changes might threaten that. However, Ken was asking the question in order to possibly improve things; you can't fault the bloke for trying! We have given our feedback and hopefully that will be listened to.
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2008, 16:27:39 »
Yes, I like the relaxed feel this forum has. One of the joys is when a thread gets very slightly high-jacked, when someone asks a related question that changes tack. Just like chatting at the allotment, in fact. And no-one seems afraid to ask even the most basic question, even if it's been asked a dozen times before. Good - this is what happens in real life! My vote is to keep it as it is.

sarah

• Hectare
« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2008, 16:37:33 »
i agree with trevor. i like the forum and it seems to me it works well this way.

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2008, 16:47:06 »
I'm not so sure.

For example, at the moment someone might ask whether they can pot on their leggy  ......

Sorry.  My post above was to Calendula at the foot of page two - not to Dan  :)  Hope it makes more sense in that context.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2008, 16:53:12 »
.....only 'dedicated' or 'sticky' I'd like, come the summer.....

Recipes = what to do with all those bl**dy courgettes  ;D ;D ;D

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2008, 17:09:35 »
I'm not so sure.

For example, at the moment someone might ask whether they can pot on their leggy  tomato seedlings deeper and after a guru has said yes, someone else, because the forum isn't restricted to tomatoes,  will come in and ask can you do that with chillies / cucumbers / melons as well? It's not 'on thread' but still of interest.

but it is like that anyway - and as this forum already has dedicated sections I can't see what the fuss is really - the 'show' section already has a dedicated pumpkin and sunflower section but many of the threads don't relate to showing

personally I'd love a section on spuds but I can understand people not feeling comfortable with change and that there could be too many sections but this forum is about as clear as crystal as far as navigating is concerned, very easy to use and I see the new ideas as just tweaking  :)

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2008, 17:14:57 »
I've only been on A4A about 2 months and was attracted to it instead of an American site I tried because of:
o  the obvious skill of the gardeners and their willingness to share info
o  the conversational quality of the postings- a real give and take as well as the normal swings off topic that normal socializing has
o  humor
o  lack of a legalistic attitude towards gardening
o  the reasonable and understandable divisions into forums

When I wanted a lot of info on parsnips I tried to Search feature which worked fine.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2008, 17:21:03 »
mm, well maybe I am a bit dense or perhaps too much of a wrinkly but  it is not as clear as crystal to me, cos I cannot work out the photo bit
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #52 on: March 19, 2008, 18:10:12 »
I think it is fine the way it is.  I think that growing things is too organic (no pun intended) a subject to be too rigidly categorised.  As has already been stated, questions relating to one vegetable, may be equally applicable to another and may lead to a thread veering a bit off topic.  Rather than reducing repetition, this will increase repetition by the same question being asked in different thread/topics.  The veering off of thread does also have that element of conversation to it that, although may initially be off putting to the casual viewer, means that threads remain interesting and that you might find out the unexpected.  Thread having to rigidly stay on topic will just lead to parts of the site being nothing more than an encyclopaedia of different people's knowledge - a wiki!

One thing I hope this thread does not lead to is a resurrection of the militant, must "stay on thread" opinions that arose from certain users during winter 2006 which led to a lot of arguments and a lot of people leaving permanently, semi-permanently or temporarily.

PS - I also like that fact that I can be quite controversial on here, fall out with people big time over issues that should be argued vociferously e.g. religion, sport and politics, and then get back to cordially discussing gardening as if nothing happened.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #53 on: March 19, 2008, 18:12:15 »
mm, well maybe I am a bit dense or perhaps too much of a wrinkly but  it is not as clear as crystal to me, cos I cannot work out the photo bit

A lot more feel the same since it was 'tweaked'

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #54 on: March 19, 2008, 21:06:56 »
PS - I also like that fact that I can be quite controversial on here

Hey You! That's my job. ::)

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
« Reply #55 on: March 19, 2008, 23:02:43 »
Leave well alone, It works well now..I agee with Ace and others that photo change over that occurred.  In my opinion. Made it far too complicating and time consuming to wade through ..So I dont bother opening  that thread now..

Cheers .. Jim

thewoodle

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #56 on: March 20, 2008, 03:49:43 »
Good idea, kenkew. Would make it easier when looking for something specific. And by the way I find ther site very easy to navigate my way around, thanks:-)

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #57 on: March 20, 2008, 07:27:46 »
I think the more dedicated sections there are the fewer I would read or contribute to. What I like about A4A most is the absence of restrictions. Unlike many similar groups there is a real sense of community and folk don't worry too much if threads wander a bit. Please don't put us in boxes.

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #58 on: March 20, 2008, 07:31:55 »
Well said!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #59 on: March 20, 2008, 10:47:59 »
Hear here

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal