Author Topic: Dedicated plant sections?  (Read 8155 times)

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
Re: Dedicated plant sections?
« Reply #60 on: March 20, 2008, 11:18:08 »
Well, I asked and I got!
Nice to see so much response, for and against.

It was a question to test the waters, there was no plan to take it further unless the support was over-whelming, which it obviously isn't. But if you don't ask you don't get answers.

Some points raised were also some that didn't spring to mind when I posed the question and I can see the sense in part of not catergorizing individual plants. However, it has got people discussing it and that's always the best way forward rather than jumping in and introducing something unwanted.

A quicky about the photo section seeing as it's been mentioned. The current format is as it is due to majority member requests. (Those that bothered to comment.) If anyone prefers not to join in because of 'how it looks' there is a place in that section to offer suggestions for change and believe me, changes have happened, more than once because I listen to those comments. The 'Gallery' remains untouched and functions as it always has. Any and all photo's can be inserted exactly as before.
The competition has expanded due to requests so that 'like' photo's can compete with 'like'. That makes for a fairer, and because there is more than one category, a constantly on-going competition. There is almost always a request for photo's and a vote taking place on a running basis. This is in place of the single monthly one as before.
 Regarding posting comp up-dates in the shed; Again this was via requests. Anyone seeing the heading knows at a glance there has been a new comp, a last call for photo's or a winner has been declared. It's not a new thread, it's posted as an announcement and immediatly locked so as not to create a thread. The info is there at a glance without the need to even open it.

Thanks for all the comments.
Ken.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #61 on: March 20, 2008, 12:43:54 »
Photos and voting....way back, you promised to get together stats which would demonstrate conclusively the popularity of  the 'old' v the 'new' formats...viewing/voting etc....any further with those, please?

(and please, put these in The Shed, will you? So much easier for all to see there....as, in fact, this proposed 'poll' would have been :-\)

pg

• Acre
    • Freelance wine writer
« Reply #62 on: March 20, 2008, 16:28:19 »
I went through the how-many-sections question debate with my other half when he launched the now defunct internet listings magazine It's on the Net. As has been discussed, section design is difficult and is a bit of a black art between the designer's/editor's need to find things and the reader's.

The reader's way of doing things/finding things always wins though, however slightly 'scruffy' it seems to others, otherwise there would be no magazine/website.

With both my website writer/Allotment member hats on I vote for keep as is. More sub-sections would in my opinion be confusing. I already vaccilate on whether to post my often veg questions in Edible or The Basics - when does a question stop being Basic? Dunno.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #63 on: March 20, 2008, 18:47:55 »
Without - for which I apologise - reading all previous posts, this is back to the age-old administrative question of General files or Whatever the discrete files were called.

Neither was a full answer. One was a compost heap, the other like Starlings on the wing. For want of a better expression!

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #64 on: March 20, 2008, 19:09:36 »
...veg questions in Edible or The Basics - when does a question stop being Basic?

When you're wondering which way up to sow cucumber seeds?

;) ;D

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #65 on: March 20, 2008, 19:10:11 »
Photos and voting....way back, you promised to get together stats which would demonstrate conclusively the popularity of  the 'old' v the 'new' formats...viewing/voting etc....any further with those, please?

(and please, put these in The Shed, will you? So much easier for all to see there....as, in fact, this proposed 'poll' would have been :-\)

This thread didn't start with a discussion on the Photo Comp Section, it was a simply a question to see how people felt about dedicated threads for popular produce. (Not got as far as a vote). The answer is loud and clear; The majority say' Things are better left as they are!'  End of subject?
I appreciate all the feed back and it's good to see so much of it. The site is always better for different opinions and views.
Regarding the Photo Comp section, I'm not adding anything to what I have already said in response to comments here. Anything further to do with the Photo Comp section, provided it is placed in the appropriate place, I'll answer there, not here.
Ken.

grotbag

• Hectare
  • granddaughter(miya) in Christchurch,Dorset
« Reply #66 on: March 20, 2008, 22:20:48 »
for what its worth i think the site should stay as it is,we have enough boards already.i am still wondering why we have 2 pet sections.

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #67 on: March 20, 2008, 22:29:50 »
Thank you Ken for your hard work and putting feelers out to see what everyone wants / thinks for improvements or otherwise on the site.

Its not an easy task you do, I wouldn't want to do it (and couldn't).

Its also fair to say that other sites will just change things and announce it has been done. At least here the members get to have a say.

I reckon I might just stay here ;) :D
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #68 on: March 21, 2008, 00:15:07 »
i am still wondering why we have 2 pet sections.
I had never noticed that cos despite having pets, I don't share them, and if they have problems, I take them to the vet or Google ???
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal