Author Topic: transplanting rhubarb  (Read 8459 times)

baz621

• Not So New ...
transplanting rhubarb
« on: March 17, 2008, 14:22:33 »
Hi guys,
             can anyone tell me if i can transplant rhubarb this month, as i have taken on a plot 25 yards away, and really dont want to leave them, as they are well established, and i have fallen in love with rhubarb again! and any advice on how to do this would be great-thanks a lot ???

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: transplanting rhubarb
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 14:30:59 »
You don't mention if the new seasons growth has commenced and it is this that will create a problem if any.

I would say move it but when lifting it, lift it with as big a rootball as you can and plant it at the same depth as it is now, more so if it has started growing.

Have a look in here for more info; http://tinyurl.com/2gx4uk

Pumper

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 14:35:03 »
We moved ours about 10 days ago with about 9 inches of stems. It's taken very well and is already a few inches taller.

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 14:36:32 »
The best time is in the autumn, or very early spring. You shouldn't really be doing it now - but rhubarb is quite difficult to kill!

If you must, do it carefully. (ie. follow Tee Gee's instructions!) And don't pull any this year.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2008, 17:39:23 »
You certainly won't kill it, but you may have to miss cropping it for a year.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2008, 18:06:33 »
Moving rhubarb is a sore point in my house, I have changed mind so many times about it's location I only have to pause by it and John looks worried, we have moved it  several times all times and it still keeps on coming.

We have just knocked a greenhouse down and it due to be shifted again now

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2008, 18:54:58 »
Stuff I moved in November is sulking big time >:(
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

baggyman

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2008, 20:18:34 »
I dug mine out in november ( 6 plants) and left it in a pile until re-planting it in february. It's started to shoot now with stems about 4 inches long.
I thought I might have killed it but it must be indestructible... like captain scarlet!

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2008, 21:50:03 »
I would move it.... carefully. However,  as previously stated.... you can't harvest any this year if you do :(    Check this website out for more information.

http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profiles1105/rhubarb.asp
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

robkb

• Hectare
  • SE London
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2008, 10:13:52 »
I moved mine in January when I changed plots. It had already started growing but has settled in okay in its new spot. However it is throwing up what looks like a big flowering stalk. Does anyone know if this is normal for transplanted rhubarb? And do I just cut the flowering stalk off?

Cheers,
Rob ;)
"Only when the last tree has been cut down, and the last river has been poisoned, and the last fish has been caught, will we realise that we cannot eat money." - Cree Indian proverb.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal