Author Topic: Parsnip germination - what next?  (Read 748 times)

Lindsay

• Acre
  • Near Avignon, France
Parsnip germination - what next?
« on: March 11, 2008, 10:52:08 »
Two weeks ago, as a test, I put some parsnips seeds on damp kitchen roll, then into a plastic box.  They have germinated well (yippee) - but what do I do now?

I have toilet rolls filled with compost ready and waiting - but as I don't have a greenhouse to keep them warm in, was wondering whether the seedlings will survive the move, if I kept them uncovered in the house.

Or do I plant them outside straightaway?  I suspect though that the temperature shock might kill them!  Even down here it is only 10 degrees today.

Can somebody advise me please? 

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
Re: Parsnip germination - what next?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 12:32:27 »
I have never pregerminated parsnips inside, but i am sowing mine outside this Friday when i have some time off. Always sow at this time of the year and don't  have problms with germination so they should be okay with the cold.

Possibly someone else would know a little more re pregerminated seed.

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 12:46:54 »
Hi Lindsay,

Yes outside will be fine.

I have done this system for several years and it works for me!

Just pop the ones in that have germinated put a little bit of soil over them and off they go!

Sometimes you will have some left that have yet to germinate and I would keep them going on window sill as they sometimes do still happen even much later than the others.

Good luck with them

Old Bird

;D

Lindsay

• Acre
  • Near Avignon, France
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 12:56:53 »
ok - thanks. Guess they are tougher than I thought!  Here's hoping for a fine crop of parsnips next winter!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal