Author Topic: Wasps nests  (Read 1775 times)

Toadspawn

• Acre
Wasps nests
« on: March 05, 2008, 23:20:29 »
At a bee keeping committee meeting tonight the subject of wasps nests cropped up. A member had removed a large nest from her attic and was amazed to note that the outer covering was scalloped and showed different colours.
I have seen this on wasps nests produced underground. Do the different colours tend to reflect different sources of wood used to build the nest? However, wasps nest hanging in bushes, sheds etc which are exposed to light and maybe wind and rain have an outer shell which is a uniform grey in colour.
Two questions, are the nests built by different wasp species or are the hanging nests not built in the dark underground covered with a waterproof outer layer as protection?     

betula

• Hectare
Re: Wasps nests
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 23:29:19 »
I had a nest on my plot.That was huge,football shaped and dull grey.I had another one in my loft and that was boomerang shaped and a very light brown .Also huge.I would like to know the answer to this one. :)

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 11:21:31 »
Came across this; not that I know anything about wasps.

The nest colour of the two wasps also differs:
European Wasp nest is grey as they use dry, weathered wood usually taken from the sides of telegraph poles or fence.
English wasp nest colour is wavy, light fawn as they uses mainly rotted wood taken from the insides of wooden poles.

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 13:03:22 »

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 18:07:09 »
Can't help you Toadspawn on colour variation.
I did a lot of loft insulation contracts a few years ago and saw some amazing nests in the older buildings.
The nest structures are truly stunning. I remember one that must have been 2 metres square in the corner of a loft which looked like 'flowstone' as in caves.
I was pleased that it was in the winter as I wouldn't have enjoyed working in the affected attics when any overwintering waps. were lurking!
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal