Author Topic: Sweetcorn  (Read 2643 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Sweetcorn
« on: July 14, 2004, 12:59:27 »
I have followed all of the advice from you corn growers to the letter as I have never succeeded in growing corn, and this year, well, I can see cobs just begining to develop!  The flowers at the top are just visible down in the plant and the plants stand about 4 1/2 foot tall and are stocky and strong and healthy looking.  I have been earthing them up a little to stop them rocking and because they appear to produce roots at ground level, and I wanted to keep them good and strong!  So, how are everyone elses corns?  One chap on our plot must have started his corn or very early as his is in full flower and I can see the cobs and some have green tassles showing so weeks ahead of mine!

Beer_Belly

• Acre
  • English bloke in Holland
    • ToadRunners Blog
Re:Sweetcorn
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2004, 13:15:18 »
I'm jealous - mine are only about a foot tall at the moment.

-B_B-

adamhill100

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2004, 14:20:08 »
Mine seem to be growing well but no sign of any cobs as of yet..

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2004, 17:46:16 »
That sounds about right EJ-you have cracked it.

Stephan

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2004, 17:59:49 »
The gales flattened most of ours. So - much staking!

30" - flowers just showing but nothing else. Sown indoors 7/5. Honey Bantam. The best!!

I think Ina's well ahead. = Tim
« Last Edit: July 14, 2004, 18:00:40 by tim »

oubykh

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2004, 18:23:06 »
mine sound about the same as yours but really struggling with the pumpkin sown below it which has gone mad! they seem to be winning through though :)

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2004, 18:56:22 »
Ours are about 18" tall but have started flowering already.  We have never grown them before, but because of the long hot and dry summer last year they did really well at our Site, so we thought this year we would give them a go.  Unfortunately it has been so wet that everyone else at the Site has also been experiencing the same problem. What we need is a nice long stretch of hot dry weather to rescue them.  :) busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2004, 20:04:34 »
Ours started blooming in the top about 3 weeks ago, last week the silk at the top of the cobs started spilling out.

Since this is the first year I'm keeping a diary, I keep forgetting to write things down. Don't know when I sowed the corn, started them off at home on the windowsill, moved them to the greenhouse at some point and from there plantend them out on May 2.

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2004, 22:24:03 »
My first year with sweetcorn too.  So far I am told they are doing well - very sturdy about 4/5 ft tall. Most have got "tassles" fluttering at the top and almost all have got side shoots growing as well - some have got 2 and two have got 3 (if you can follow!) don't know if this is right but have left them anyway.  Very windy when we were down this afternoon but they seemed to stand up fine.

Haven't sown anything around their roots but have them mounded up a bit and planted probably closer than recommended (about 12") due to lack of space.

Keeping everything crossed tightly...........
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2004, 16:45:13 »
BB,

I'm with you - only a foot long at the moment, but who says that size matters!!!
 :D

Phil

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2004, 16:53:00 »
Last year was my first year of growing corn. I had about nine plants, they grew to between 4 and 5.5 feet (bigger than me!) and we had about 10 delicious cobs off them.

This year, the plants are about 6inches tall and are now red. I think I was too slow getting them planted out and they grew too big for their pots, then dried out.

I'll learn for next year.
gone to pot :D

Lavender

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2004, 17:35:23 »
Aquilegia the stalks on my corn went red too just after I put it in and the leaves took on a golden hue.  Didn't do too much for a while, but now don't look bad - if only it would stop raining  ::)  Maybe yours will perk up too.
There'll be years for cooking and cleaning - get yer wellies on!

Peter H

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2004, 19:40:52 »
About 2ft high but sturdy and as yet no sign of anything  :-\

Peter

mysticmog

• Acre
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2004, 16:02:37 »
Mine are only biddy, about a foot high - maybe is cos it's not really been very sunny here, maybe they think it's still spring?  ;)
Peas xx

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal