Author Topic: spinach gone to seed  (Read 4323 times)

Beer_Belly

• Acre
  • English bloke in Holland
    • ToadRunners Blog
spinach gone to seed
« on: June 30, 2004, 09:08:26 »
I planted "Amterdam giant" spinach but most of it (not all) has produced about 6 small leaves only and then gone to seed. Anyone know what I've done wrong ?

cheers,
       -B_B-

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re:spinach gone to seed
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2004, 11:00:03 »
Don't know 'the Giant', BB, but that's why we always grow chard - it doesn't - till next year! = Tim

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2004, 12:35:19 »
My perpetual spinach has all bolted also BB, and so has one of my bright light chards!  I blame the lack of rain.  I have tried both sowing direct and transplanting and both sorts have bolted.  Now on my 3rd sowing.  :-\

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2004, 13:05:01 »
Emma - your this year's sowing of BL has bolted??
Ours is only 10" high. Though pickable. = Tim

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2004, 13:31:08 »
The same thing happened to us last year and no sooner than our spinach was up than it flowered and went to seed.  The consenus then seemed to be that it was because of the very dry summer. So this year we have grown a perpetual spinach and kept it well watered.  Don't know if that worked but it seems to be doing good so far.  :) busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2004, 13:41:59 »
Tim our spring sown chard (bright lights) is now 3-4 ft high. Time to sow some more I think. Or maybe cut it right back?

Jeremy

adamhill100

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2004, 16:59:38 »
My perpetual spinach is the first thing I have actually eaten that I have grown this year on my allot.... Seems to be doing really well but have made sure I watered every night unless it rains of course...I ended up making a spinach curry at the weekend which was great!!  

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2004, 18:10:10 »
Yup Tim, spring sown, courtesy of Stephan.  ;D  Only one plant bolted but all of my spinach has gone.  :'(  The problem on our plot is the severe lack of water, so the plan is, loads and loads and loads of compost over the autmn and winter to try and help the moisture content of the ground and Ava has a watering system planned  :o :)

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2004, 19:07:14 »
Research is needed?
We are VERY fast draining, the soil is powder dry, even after the rain we've had, & we're having to trowel our carrots out of the ground, but our Bright Lights & Swiss Chard happily go the year in good shape. We're just cutting out last year's, while using the April sown BL. = Tim

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2004, 19:15:55 »
Spinach is a so and so-it only needs the slightest check and it`s history. My last tactic is for the next sowing-I will buy a pipe and sing `I`m Popeye the sailor man`whilst sowing ;D

Stephan

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2004, 21:54:10 »
Don't know 'the Giant', BB, but that's why we always grow chard - it doesn't - till next year! = Tim

Me too. Spinach is just too hard to grow and too unreliable. Swiss chard is a good alternative. I like the luculus (spelling?), a light green type with white ribs. Tried perpetual spinach last year but didn't like it.

Beer_Belly

• Acre
  • English bloke in Holland
    • ToadRunners Blog
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2004, 07:50:01 »
Ah-ha ! thanks for all the replies - I'll have another go but this time use lots of water.

-B_B-

Lady Cosmos

• Acre
  • Lady of the dunes
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2004, 09:06:37 »
Hi B-B, I am growing spinach for 22 years now and I think three things are important to get a good crop. I prepare the ground by digging in a lot of manure. I put the seeds in a shady place between other veg , that stops the spinach to seed and I water every dag, about 20 ltr/sq.m a week. I saw every 2 or 3 weeks a few rows and till now I harvested 6 times. I pick only the largest leaves and let the rest grow. My soil is very sandy, may be that is the trick ;D ;D ;D, but I have lots and lots to come :D :D  

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2004, 20:56:17 »
Aha, that might be two reasons for my lack of success with spinach. I can't make it to the allotment every day to water and the soil is rather heavy. Never mind, I'm happy with swiss chard.

bluedaisy

• gardening for fun !!
    • my day with mark
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2004, 21:51:40 »
my spinach going well for my first year in lottie. I will put some more chinese leaves as mine bolting  :(
Secret probably watering and soil (bits loamy). I added lots compost beforehand.

john_miller

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2004, 02:24:35 »
Due to the extreme heat that can develop so rapidly here great emphasis is laid on varieties that have been bred to withstand it. I have grown spinach for over 20 years too and have used nothing but 'Melody' without any problems for a spring crop (and, incidentally, it will also withstand our extreme winters when autumn sown). It cannot withstand the summers here however. You may want to change your choice of variety to see if another one gives you better results.

mysticmog

• Acre
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2004, 16:31:01 »
I have managed to grow happy and bouncy spinach and more bright lights chard than you can shake a stick at - guess I was lucky, but most of my lettuce has bolted....
Peas xx

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal