Author Topic: Allotment rules  (Read 4530 times)

caseylee

• Hectare
Allotment rules
« on: February 25, 2008, 18:56:44 »
I am new to the allotment scene and one my site there is only three sites that have been used.  There are large blackberry bushes that sractch my car when you drive in, there is litter everye where form where the dogs have opened balck bag, and the bad wind we had has blown them on the site.  The paths along the middle of all the sites needs to be mowed and sorted out, and we have no protection around the individual sites, and you can barley tell where mine begins and ends.  What can I do about this, the site has been kept in poor condition, and doesn't look good when you walk in.  Me and my otherhalf cleaned our site and mowed the grass, but the paths are not surely for me to do are they, and the black berry bushes surrounding the whole site.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Allotment rules
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 19:15:45 »
leave as many brambles as you can around the outside it discourages unwelcome visitors...
Our rules say you are responsible for the path /s outside your plot but we have stoned them and do them communally. What you really need is a good advertising campagn to get some more eager plot holders to get the site going...
  ;D

morton

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 19:25:45 »
What do the other two allotment holders have to say on the subject.

On our site there are a few of us that keep everything neat and tidy whilst the rest would let it slide into disrepair. We do all the communal jobs over the winter whilst its quiet on the garden. We drag out ditches, cut back hedges, chop down trees, stone paths, put up greenhouses and sheds, fetch manure etc. etc. This includes fetching bricks and rubble from anyone we see doing house repairs etc.
Its a labour of love for the few of us that go down just about every single day of the year.
My advice would be to get to know the other plotholders well and do the work communally. If you wait for the council to come you will wait a long time. A tidy site may also attract new gardeners.

caseylee

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 19:30:16 »
I don't mind cleaning the sight up at all, i am going down tomorrow to mow the grass along the paths and clear things, I don't drive so when my partner is off we use the car, but its when I have to walk down I have nowhere to get rid of the rubbish cause they won't collect black sacks outside the lottie

morton

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 19:37:55 »
No fires allowed then.

We burn all our scrap wood, tree prunings and paper. Bricks and stones go on the paths. Grass etc. goes on the compost heap. Metal goes on a pile for when the gypsys break in. Broken glass goes to the tip.

caseylee

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 19:42:21 »
I might check that I don't know if we are allowed fires, that would be a good idea

morton

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 20:11:38 »
If you have no rules then I think it would be prudent to have a big fire first to get rid of all of the rubbish making sure that the wind blows any smoke away from nearby houses and then dutifully go and ask if they are allowed.

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2008, 20:16:49 »
We took out our allotment last November but because we had a useless administrator who could only think about the latest price of a pair of tights she  was removed from the post we now have a real person in charge. So my point is, on our allotments we have twenty five  in all and when we applied we had the choice of two next to each other, on the one remaining allotment we have rubbish and garden waste which other allotment keepers have dumped there this also includes greenhouse glass. After informing the office they are now going to remove this crap and at the same time sending letters to all allotment keepers that this practice will cease :)

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2008, 18:29:22 »
A small tip. Mow all the grassy paths just before you plant your potatoes. It's good for the trenches as it deters slugs to some degree, so your work will benefit you twice over.

dawn123

• Not So New ...
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2008, 11:38:58 »
hi there we have allotment which is self managed and we want to know why we can not cut the grass are self's as the security as said you need a license to uses the mower he is very bad tempered if you ask him anything as he as bullied two people off and hit another member the members will not go down when he is on the allotments has the are to scared of him please help thanks

stevie77

• Not So New ...
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2008, 21:04:01 »
hi dawn
we too are on a self run site (privately owned) and we have rules about the use of the mower etc .
to comply with the insurance we have, only those who have been trained to use the equipment can actually use it - but we do have a very good team on the committee and all take it in turns to do our bit.

I can't believe your guy has got away with such appalling behaviour.
Is there no one you can speak to or write to about him?
That sort of behaviour shouldn't have to be tolerated by any one and is so totally anti the usual allotment welcomes, it beggars belief.
Steve

dawn123

• Not So New ...
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2010, 16:35:29 »

hi can some one please help dose the chairman of the allotments need a reason to get you off the allotments when you have done nothing wrong only made a police statement for another plot holder been assaulted and can they change the rules back to the old rules when they want to many thanks dawn  :'(

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2010, 16:50:54 »
Was the guy you made a complaint about his friend?  Does he own the site?

It is all a question of approach!  If you are polite and helpful (don't always believe what you are told - remember there are 2 sides to every dispute!!) Your rules should be on your lease if you signed one when you took the plot over.

I am sure someone else will give you better advice as this has not ocurred to me so can not really answer without knowing chapter and verse.

Old Bird

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2010, 17:43:46 »

hi can some one please help dose the chairman of the allotments need a reason to get you off the allotments when you have done nothing wrong only made a police statement for another plot holder been assaulted and can they change the rules back to the old rules when they want to many thanks dawn  :'(
Hi Dawn

I'm sorry you're having diffulty on your site.  You're asking two questions really:

1. Can the Chairman evict you on a whim?  No, not really.  Read your tenancy agreement.  It's likely that you can be given notice to quit but the committee would have to vote on it, it's unlikely the Chairman would have authority on his own.  They might also give you notice that they're ending your tenancy because you're breached a condition of your tenancy, but from how you've described the situation they wouldn't have the necessary grounds.

2. Can they change the rules?  What does your tenancy agreement say?  If the agreement gives the committee broad powers to makes changes to the rules you can challenge that power under the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999, though I can tell you that's not for the faint-hearted.  I am currently persuing just such a complaint with Trading Standards which I hope will produce some OFT guidance which in turn will make the situation much clearer in the future.

Has your chairman made some attempt to evict you?  Do you have something in writing you can post?  The top and bottom of it is this: The County Court must grant the landlord a possession order to force you to quit your allotment, and without that it's just bluster.  Stand firm.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

dawn123

• Not So New ...
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2010, 20:50:11 »
 :'(

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2010, 20:51:17 »
Sorry, but can you expand on that?
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

dawn123

• Not So New ...
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2010, 20:54:26 »
the council have said they can not help us because it is self managed we have never had a verbel warning in all the 6 yrs we have been there can they charge us for not getting my things off the site thank you all for your support

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2010, 21:23:41 »
Dawn, can you explain your situation please, and then we can help.

Have you left your plot?  Have you been told to leave?  Can you post the notice please?

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2010, 21:41:12 »

Hi Dawn-is this the same problem you were having here?
http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,45705.msg457459.html#msg457459

Did they call a meeting in April 09? I'm amazed you are still on this site-I would have retreated from this mania a long time ago!!!
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal