Author Topic: Aubergine  (Read 2162 times)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Aubergine
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2008, 19:27:38 »
They need lots of heat in the early stages. I put mine (Diamond) on top of the water heater at the beginning of the week, along with some peppers (Joe's Long). I then managed to drop the aubs, scraped the compost up from the floor, and stuck it back in the pot. I noticed last night that the peppers were up; the first aub emerged during the day.

George the Pigman

• Hectare
  • Birmingham, neutral clay soil
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2008, 21:48:32 »
I have always sowed them in March.
How do you get round the probelem of them getting tall and lanky and then collapsing if they are kept in the house?
I only have an unheated greenhouse so I guess there is no point of getting them in to it untill the frosts disappear.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2008, 08:47:30 »
So you won't be growing those on, Laura? Or will you use heat?

We can't plant in a cold 'house till end April - mid May.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 08:49:17 by tim »

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2008, 09:29:20 »
I've tried planting in March, but it didn't work. It may well be that I put them out in a cold frame too early, but I remember people saying i should plant in January. I felt that was possibly a little early, so I compromised. Even if they do end up long and lanky, it won't kill them. If they're planted deep, will the stems root?

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2008, 10:35:00 »
mine are ready to pot on and soon I will but plant a few in a pot, keep them on window sills, then take to the g/h asap and pot on again in their final pots

they do get a bit lanky now but I always feel they need this length of time for maturity but I've never tried sowing much later - might try it and see what happens

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2008, 11:03:51 »
Once again - warm or cold 'house??

laura G

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2008, 11:25:08 »
Mine will hopefully be a warm g/h by the end of this weekend. laura

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2008, 11:35:52 »
Once again - warm or cold 'house??

I've never bothered heating a greenhouse except to light a little fire to keep me warm when working in my glass office  :D so I am always referring to a cold house

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2008, 13:59:46 »
Keep them warm for the moment. I've made the mistake of putting them in a cold frame early, and they just stop growing. This year I'm keeping them on a windowsill till May.

Tora

• Hectare
  • Gravesend, Kent
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2008, 13:29:20 »
Some of my aubergines are up! Prosperosa and Heritage mix - they took 2 weeks to germinate in a propagator.

Last year I planted them out in June and it was too late, they were just starting to flower when the first frost hit them... :( A few folks at the allotment had a great success with aubergines last year and the plants were planted out just after the last frost.

I'm thinking of putting up some kind of wind break around the plants this year so that hopefully they establish more quickly. :)

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2008, 13:40:03 »
First time for aubs last year.  I sowed them on 24th March. Small bush varieties only (Calliope & Little Finger).  Fleeced them when the night started getting cold - last pickings early November.

Will start some earlier this year.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal