Author Topic: Rhubarb question  (Read 1214 times)

Lindsay

• Acre
  • Near Avignon, France
Rhubarb question
« on: February 25, 2008, 13:42:08 »
Silly question probably but this is the first time I've grown rhubarb.

I have just noticed this morning that the largest rhubarb leaf on the plant has turned orange. Is this normal?

I gave the plant a good helping of compost a couple of weeks ago, and this has happened since. The crown seems to be sitting too low, so I have lifted it up a bit - but is this orange leaf likely to be diseased or is it just natural ageing? (Seems an odd time of year for the leaves to be dying off though!)

I'd hate for my much-yearned-for rhubarb crumble to be at risk!

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Rhubarb question
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 14:08:24 »
so I have lifted it up a bit

Could you explain this in a bit more detail!

If you have disturbed the root system you might have 'checked' the plants growth cycle.

All you needed to do after adding the compost was clear around the crown with your hand to clear it.(the crown)

Are you sure the leaf was orange? In some varieties the early leaves can be very pale until the open up a bit then photosynthesis will start to make it green.

Lindsay

• Acre
  • Near Avignon, France
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 14:56:38 »
The rhubarb plant (a young one) was put in place last autumn. I fed it with compost a couple of weeks ago, but this morning noticed that the original main leaf (largest one) that was a lovely dark green has gone almost a fluorescent orange all the way around the edge (the middle is still green).   

Having searched on here, I realised the plant was maybe too low in the soil, so I have put a spade into the ground next to it and lifted it just a fraction.

And now I've cleared the compost from off the crown.  :P

It looks to my very untrained eye as if the plant has too much or too little of something!  But what?  I can't put a photo up unfortunately. 

caseylee

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 15:34:48 »
I have a rhubard plant that was bought for me last year and planted close to my compost bin, we didden't pick from it last year, but can this year.  I was just wondering when do the leave and stems start forming cause mine is still a stump in the ground

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 16:49:41 »
all the way around the edge (the middle is still green).

What did you feed it with and did you follow the instructions to the letter?

Did you water over the leaves?

Whats in my mind is it has been frosted which in itself will do no harm to the plant just the leaf in question.

I realised the plant was maybe too low in the soil, so I have put a spade into the ground next to it and lifted it just a fraction.

Then again this might be your problem!! You might have broken the tap root and any new growth has died back, particularly if it is a young plant.

The plant should recover but you won't get any edible stuff till later in the year.

It looks to my very untrained eye as if the plant has too much or too little of something! 

Yes to much tlc I think  ;D

Rhubarb is a garden toughy so I don't think you will have killed it.

My advice now is just leave it to its own resources.

My rhubarb has been in the same spot for as long as I can remember it gets no particular treatment at all. It only gets fed if I am in the area feeding something else if not it gets nothing.

This is how it should look in early season;

and this is later when it has matured;

Lindsay

• Acre
  • Near Avignon, France
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 17:13:28 »
Thanks Tee Gee. Having had a good look when clearing the compost from the crown, I have found some new shoots coming up, so guess it must just be the one leaf dying off.  Will try to leave it alone in future!   ::)

caseylee

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 17:15:51 »
there are a few shoots coming up on mine but no leaves yet, I haven't touched it all winter but I did cover with it with some rich compost from my cost bin a few weeks ago, I think it might come up, is it true that you have to force it, someone told me to put a cover over it to make it grow, haven't tried it yet

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2008, 17:20:26 »
my is currently covered with manure and as yet nothing is poking through, havent rooted to look yet but will tomorrow it looks cosy snuggle under the poop

Cuke

• Half Acre
  • Abbeymead, Gloucester
    • Growing Our Own
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2008, 18:10:23 »
I 'found' mine under an old compost bin when I took on the plot. A couple of shoots had already started to be forced and these have since died off as I didn't want to keep forcing it so removed it's cover and we've had frost since then. But I've piled some manure on it and am hoping to get a decent crop later in the year.

Like Tee Gee says, it's one of those things you can forget about 99% of the time and just harvest it when it's grown each year.

Lovely stuff! :)
Our little corner of the blogging world http://www.growingourown.co.uk

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2008, 18:34:42 »
To answer your first question Caseylee... the leaves will come up when they are ready....
Mine were still lumps when I looked at them last week...
 ::)

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2008, 20:35:01 »
Mine were still lumps as well when shifted the pine needles which cover them yesterday to see how they were coming along.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal