Author Topic: Any Swindon Allotment holders about  (Read 84481 times)

taurus

• Hectare
  • Swindon, Wiltshire
Re: Any Swindon Allotment holders about
« Reply #300 on: August 28, 2008, 10:02:18 »
Are you leaving your messages with the right people because I don't seem to have the amount of trouble contacting Emma as you seem to.
Try this number 463527.  or Mr Hambich on 464572.  Don't forget to leave your number so they can contact you in return.  I think some times we forget that there's 25 Allotment sites to deal with and there only one part of the parks department responsibilities.
I wish I had a magic wand to make people more thoughtful to the rest of the human race.  As you say "some toerag " is the cause of your problem.  Hopefully the lock will be fixed soon.
                                         Taurus

Fluffnco

• Half Acre
« Reply #301 on: August 28, 2008, 13:10:05 »
Well I'm going to take back what I said about Emma in my last post and say that she rang me today whilst I was out about the lock and also about how the plot numbers were mixed up in the beginning. I may vent off in frustration but I'll be the first to admit if I've said something and it is proven wrong :)

I fully understand the lady must be run off her feet with having to go around visiting the sites and organising allocation of plots etc but sure it must be in her powers to allocate some of her more minor roles to maybe a designated person on each site so that her time isn't eaten up as it has been ? It would make sense to have maybe a site rep on each site who is willing to feed back on plots not being worked, repairs needed or problems arising once a month etc surely...anyways.. lock is apparently being chased up today so here's hoping :)

« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 13:12:01 by Fluffnco »

taurus

• Hectare
  • Swindon, Wiltshire
« Reply #302 on: August 28, 2008, 19:14:16 »
There are Allotment reps for a lot of the sites as I'm the one for Dawlish.  We do meet with the Allotment officer at the Oasis, the last meeting was in the spring.
Perhaps you could be the one for your Allotment site.  I've put the information for the Allotment Asc on the notice board at my site and what I hope are things of interest for people to read.  Our site as more Ladies plot holders than men at the moment.  I'm please Emma's contacted you and lets hope you have a replacement lock soon.
                                   Regards, Taurus

caseylee

• Hectare
« Reply #303 on: August 29, 2008, 09:33:49 »
I must agree with fluffco, I too have been trying to get hold of emmas for months and have now given up all together.  We are phoning the right number, but i guess I am sick of hearing my own voice leaving messages including my phone number, hubbys mobile and my mobile number all with answerphones in case we too are not avail.  I have not been to my plot in nearly 2 months and only plan to go and pick up my raised beds.  I was so excited at first to have my own allotment, but now I dread to even think about it.  As so a allotment officer acccording to the council they do not have one for our site and emma is the only contact.  I would agree with going to the evening advert because sbc go on about being green, growing stuff, and recycling but when people are trying to do it we can't.  I did not even get the chance to plant on my plot due to being bitten by red ants every time, also having a very bad fence I was worriedmy hard work would be nicked, or even ruined by kids having a kick about.    I am glad Emma finally contated you Fluffco, but I wish she would do the same to everyone else.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #304 on: August 29, 2008, 09:41:00 »
I feel really sad you have gave up your plot caseylee.I remember how pleased you were when you first had it.If a council employee had not responded to me for so long I would have written to the leader of the council and complained big time.Clearly this person is not doing what she is paid to do. :(

Fluffnco

• Half Acre
« Reply #305 on: August 29, 2008, 12:05:19 »
She's doing her Job Betula but as Taurus has pointed out the allotments are only one small part of the whole department and she is only in office for 1-2 half mornings per week whilest the rest if spent going around the various sites. The problem is that there isn't anyone at the office end to do her more mundane tasks like replying to emails etc which go some way to alleviate the frustration many feel at the moment.

It is a shame though Caseylee. Most of the ants will move on when the earth is worked regularly as they don't like soil disturbance. I think most of mine have probably either marched onto yours or onto plot 5 on other side ( BTW my plots were always plot 6 & 7 apparently and because I never saw a map of the site I'd presumed the one closest to your plot was 5 so no move for me)

caseylee

• Hectare
« Reply #306 on: August 29, 2008, 18:40:27 »
I understand she is doing her job, and I work in a pressured eviroment aswell, but I can understand taking a few weeks to respond but months is really taking the mickey.  I do feel sorry for Emma cause she must have tons to do but then something needs to be done to help her otherwise it is going to end up in the local paper and it more bad press for that department when it may not really be by their own doing at all.  I did think about writing a letter, but never got around to writing it, I think I just had enough of the hassle and gave up on the lottie all together.  I have now got 4 lovley greenhouses n my garden at home and I have loved every minute of it, I can go outside in my pjs and pick fresh veg, I am lucky that I have a large garden, and had this option to fall back on, even though it has now been taken over and my boys have lost tons of space, but we do it together.  I know red ants move on, but we rotivated a large section of the lottie nearly three times and the amount of nests that we found was stupid, plus my kids are always down there with me and were scared in the end to dig at all.  My raised beds were packed with them all aswell, and every time I went to dig them over, I had to keep dropping the spade as they would crawl up it.  I know its part of nature, but I am not a fan of pain lol.  I do wish everyone luck with their lotties, but I am going to stick to my greenhouse and raised beds, at least if I know there is a issue i can sort it out on my own.

caseylee

• Hectare
« Reply #307 on: August 29, 2008, 18:44:53 »
I do need to say something as someone may wonder why if I have a big garden did I want a lottie, well I tried having a veg garden at home, my soil was pure clay, and where I had dug up, it caused major drainage problems with heavy rain, and flooded my whole garden almost to the height of my patio doors, so I had to cover it back over, and I tried the lottie life.  But in the end a good friend of mine helped me put bases down for my greenhouses and I fell in love with that gardening.

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #308 on: August 29, 2008, 22:09:19 »
I do need to say something as someone may wonder why if I have a big garden did I want a lottie, well I tried having a veg garden at home, my soil was pure clay, and where I had dug up, it caused major drainage problems with heavy rain, and flooded my whole garden almost to the height of my patio doors, so I had to cover it back over, and I tried the lottie life.  But in the end a good friend of mine helped me put bases down for my greenhouses and I fell in love with that gardening.

Hi all, i know this post does not directly affect me as 1. i don't have an allotment and 2. I'm not living in Swindon, but i have been following this topic closely to see if everything works out for everyone in the end. I just wanted to say i don't think you should have to give a reason for wanting an allotment, i also have a fairly large garden (not massive, but bigger than most) and i have lots of raised beds a greenhouse and and area marked out for fruit. but i would also like an allotment it will give the area needed to grow more en mass like more tomatoes, potatoes, sweetcorn and pumpkins and squashes for storing purposes. but when you are on a 1 to 2 year waiting list  :-\ you just have to work with what you got. anyway i just wanted to say i didn't think you had to explain why you had or wanted an allotment even though you have a large garden. anyway not sure if this is coming across well. (i am knackered and aching after a hard day in the garden ;)

Fluffnco

• Half Acre
« Reply #309 on: August 30, 2008, 00:38:18 »
No one should have to explain why they have an allotment and I know I got a little hot around the collar on another forum I frequent when someone complained about a couple that have an allotment of mown grass and two chairs..lots of moaning because these two people just sat on the grass lawn they had grown. My view is/was that they looked after the grass and it doesn't say that only fruit and veg can be grown on an allotment in the tenancy agreements nor should it :) Chances are the couple under scrutiny didn't have a garden at all and lived in a flat..who knows..thing is they were using their plot for their own purposes as we all do :)

Enjoy your greenhouses Caseylee :)) Just wish you could push a free one over onto my plot ;) *grins*
« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 00:40:41 by Fluffnco »

caseylee

• Hectare
« Reply #310 on: August 30, 2008, 11:49:25 »
I know you don't have to explain but similar to fluffco on another website someone mentioned a big garden and having a allotment and got a few bad comments from it, so I would rather explain than cause a debate.  FLuffco if I get another greenhouse offered to me I will send it your way definately.  I was very lucky that I purchased two very cheap off trade it, and my friend knew someone getting rid of theres, so I am very grateful for them and love them to bits, they are my babies.  But next one I get offered will be for you as I know have no more space for anymore, otherwise my kids are going to kill me lol.  I agree that allotments are not just for growing veg on, they are for relaxing and doing things on, as long as you mantain it  I see no problems with it.  But some people could get upset as they are on long waiting lists and that must be frustrating.

taurus

• Hectare
  • Swindon, Wiltshire
« Reply #311 on: September 30, 2008, 13:09:22 »
Its very quiet on here, hope you've not all thrown the trowel in. Or is it that we're all tidying up and putting away for winter.  I've decided to re plan my allotment plots and use more raised beds on one plot and fruit /root crops on the 2nd plot. Tried to move my compost heap only to find I've got a bee's nest there.  So am going to leave them in peace for the time being and hope they move of their own accord. Just got to dig the plots over for next year and hope the weathers better and I'm more organized (glad my other half can't read this)
My one success's this year was my garlick, grown on a raised bed.  Most everything else either rotted or the slugs had them. So hows the year been for you? The next S A A meeting is on the 16 Oct Community Centre behind the Sikk Temple at 7.30pm. Regards Taurus

caseylee

• Hectare
« Reply #312 on: October 05, 2008, 07:10:50 »
I have now cancelled my allotment.  I managed to get hold of Emma finally and explained that the site I have is not good at all, and I would not recommend she gives it to anyone else as it is pure clay.  I have also advised that I will fetch my raised beds by the 30 october and clear the site.  Such a shame but I will concentrate on my greenhouse instead.  I had a lot of success this year, I am still picking green runner beans by the dozen, my onions were wonderful, tons of lettuce, and my sons two pumpkins are nealy ready at nannys for hallowean.

taurus

• Hectare
  • Swindon, Wiltshire
« Reply #313 on: October 08, 2008, 22:01:13 »
Hi everyone, Sorry to hear your giving up Caseylee, but can sympathize with the problems you've faced.  Swindon seems to be on a clay seem as far as I can make out.  I've decided to do more raised beds next year.  Have you had a look round at anyother sites close to you?
Had to smile, has promise we've had a load of woodchips delivered to make 2 parking spaces.  Laid a tarpaulin on the ground, where did they put the woodchips.  Yes you've guessed it on the allotment next door, words fail me at times.
Let us no how you get on Caseylee with you greenhouses.  Hope a few more people write on the site and let us no how we're all getting on.
                                  Regards, Taurus

penlope

• Not So New ...
« Reply #314 on: October 26, 2008, 20:57:03 »
hi all ;D hope that all your sites are gettin all the little jobs done by the council ? alot have around the parks area ! but not ares  the cranmore plot has had nothin done and theres still about 10 empty which have not been touched since i;ve had mine which was febuary !!!!!!! we do not even get the grass roadways cut let alone the fence mended or gates changed but hey never mind had a letter in with are bills sayin keep are plots tidy or else lol. well the letters say u have 2 weeks to clear your plots or ur off ! well i think 8 months has not even give the council enough time to clear all the empty ones so dont see ares keepin weed free !!!! well heres wishin all new lottie holders the best of luck as your need it !! thanks  penny

taurus

• Hectare
  • Swindon, Wiltshire
« Reply #315 on: October 27, 2008, 19:36:23 »
Hi Penny
             The Dawlish site have had 2 new water tanks put in this week.  Ones been out of action for years.  The guys who did the the work have done a really good job.  We've all so put tarps down to go under wood chips to make a couple of parking spaces.
Theres 9 plots vacant that I no of for sure and may be another 3 if some don't come back as we haven't seem them for some time.  The track is all so being repaired.  I think the fences and gates will get done during the winter months as long as we don't get to much rain, here's hoping any way.  My 2 plots are getting a majer overall this winter.  Have learnt a lot by mistake and error.  Have covered them over for the time being as am working 6/7 days a week at moment.  January will be my time to dig over and plant bare rooted items and move over crowded Raspberry's etc.  Its great to hear from someone else in Swindon.  Do you go the the Swindon Allotment meetings, very helpful group of ladies and gentlemen.  Regards Taurus

penlope

• Not So New ...
« Reply #316 on: October 29, 2008, 07:25:10 »
hi taurus ;D
nice to hear from you ! well as you said theres hope still that things will get done and that sums it up lol ( hope ). well we have cleared alot of plots out ready for winter, brought a new rotovator so was dying to use it -- its great dont no what i would have done without it. well this was my first year of being a lottie holder so like you said its been trial & errear but it aint been to bad. lots of courgettes.marrows strawberries and been over run with runner beans.kidney beans & corn And not to mention relatives who all of a sudden like you for your crop lol. must say its been hard work but it wont be as bad next year as all the old people give there hints - in exchange for my labour !!!.  also if the council do get down to sort the empty plots out there wont be so much to do on are plots as all the  grasss seeds blow over and weeds to the plots that people are trying to use ! so are you at dawlish ? as far as the meetin goes i dont drive but i think the 17 bus goes up by there is'nt it by the shiek temple ? when is the next ? = take care penny

taurus

• Hectare
  • Swindon, Wiltshire
« Reply #317 on: October 29, 2008, 09:00:27 »
Hi Penny,
              The meetings are the 3rd Monday in the month. You can have a lift with me I've put my Email address for you  opals11@yahoo.co.uk.  If you e mail me with your phone number then we can arrange apick up point.
Whats the ground like on you site.  Every time I've tried to use my rotavator its either bounced over the top of the ground or dug a hole that's filled up with water, the water table is very high here. Either that or I might need a lesson on how to use it.  You did really well with your produce.  The only things that where a success for me where my garlic,strawberry's,raspberry's and spuds.  My sweetcorn is still in the ground and only grew to 9 inches and my neighbours did the same,  But further down the site another plot holders grew really well.  Wether we just planted that bit to late or its colder on our side of the site I don't no.  Every thing else either rotted with the rain or was eat-on by the slugs and snails.  At the moment I'm due to get Monday off, so keeping fingers crossed that the weather as kept dry so can get my garlic in.
Yes I'm at Dawlish.  And for my sins I'm the site rep.  My plots are the worst as I'm to busy trying to get things improved.  Where abouts in Cranmore is your site?  That's it for now as must get ready for work.   Happy rotavating, Taurus

taurus

• Hectare
  • Swindon, Wiltshire
« Reply #318 on: November 08, 2008, 20:18:44 »
whoops!!!  3rd Thursday in the month not Mondays.  Senior moment.

caseylee

• Hectare
« Reply #319 on: November 09, 2008, 09:23:36 »
Hi fluffco
Just wanted to see how you were doing down there at the old lottie site.  I still need to pick up my raised beds, I have just been so busy.  I passed my driving test last week and the world is now my oyster lol.  Too bad cause I could of spent more time down there now that I can drive but just no time I'm afraid.
Will pop down in the week to grab them
good luck to everyone

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal