Author Topic: Any Swindon Allotment holders about  (Read 84478 times)

taurus

• Hectare
  • Swindon, Wiltshire
Re: Any Swindon Allotment holders about
« Reply #320 on: November 11, 2008, 16:23:01 »
Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!! on passing your driving test Caseylee.  Here's trying to tempt you back.  Dawlish as new water tanks, the roads under repair and some of the vacant plots have been rotovated.  Worth a look dont you think.  Anyone interested just email me.  opals11@yahoo.co.uk
 Anyone have any Q as I going to the Allotment Reps meeting Thursday night.
                                       Regards Taurus       

squeezer

« Reply #321 on: February 15, 2009, 21:04:25 »
i am based in wootton bassett... still snow on the plot but just planted new fruit bushes adn peppers and toms coming on in the greenhouse..

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #322 on: February 15, 2009, 21:10:05 »
hiya, squeezer, welcome to the site  ;D

taurus

• Hectare
  • Swindon, Wiltshire
« Reply #323 on: February 15, 2009, 21:33:44 »
Welcome squeezer, I'm over in Swindon  ;D

irishmilo

• Not So New ...
« Reply #324 on: November 07, 2009, 18:01:08 »
Hi All,

I was just wondering has the Hatton Grove site improved any since?  I live just across the other side of Queens Drive so this would be ideal for me.

Cheers,

Mark

irishmilo

• Not So New ...
« Reply #325 on: November 09, 2009, 11:41:32 »
Ah well it's all academic now as I have just been informed by Swindon Council that there are no free allotments anywhere in Swindon at all!! Back to the window box then.

Adios

taurus

• Hectare
  • Swindon, Wiltshire
« Reply #326 on: November 10, 2009, 09:15:36 »
irishmilo, keep e mailing and ringing them as there are always plots coming up.
There's 4 at the moment on my site with a ? mark against them so get your name on the lists.  If you ring Emma Burton direct you will get a better idea which sites have the shortest waiting list.  Did you get my reply to your e mail OK?

irishmilo

• Not So New ...
« Reply #327 on: November 10, 2009, 09:26:43 »
Hi Taurus,

I'm on the waiting list for Burghley Close now.  12 months minimum wait.  I've told them that it doesn't have to be local as I don't mind travelling.  Have to wait and see what happens now.  I was told that they aren't giving out any more from Hatton Grove as the soil is just clay.  Did you mail me?  If you have I'll check when I finish work tonight.

Mark

taurus

• Hectare
  • Swindon, Wiltshire
« Reply #328 on: November 10, 2009, 09:39:18 »
 ??? Thats rich the whole of Swindons on clay.  Another site ear marked as  building plots I wouldnt wonder.  I've tried ringing Emma this morning but as usual no one manning the phones.  We're off Shaftsbury Ave, Park North, so if I hear anything I'll let you no.  And yes I did e mail with all the info for the Allotments officer. 
                           Regards Taurus

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #329 on: February 25, 2010, 19:13:35 »
I'll be moving to Swindon soon and will be looking to get a plot in Swindon sorted out as a matter of course.... can keep the one in oxford near work for a while but would prefer one nearer to home for 2011.....

chrisc

Fluffnco

• Half Acre
« Reply #330 on: April 20, 2010, 18:27:47 »
Hello all,

I'm on the Hatton Grove site chris....they're going to flail and de weed the half plots that are vacant and then they will be given out....only two of us on site at present. The council have put in a much better gate and a new driveway on the site so once they've been allocated hopefully we'll finally see the site come alive again :) Keep your eyes open and keep asking the council if anything is available
Fluffnco

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #331 on: April 20, 2010, 18:37:03 »
Hello all,

I'm on the Hatton Grove site chris....they're going to flail and de weed the half plots that are vacant and then they will be given out....only two of us on site at present. The council have put in a much better gate and a new driveway on the site so once they've been allocated hopefully we'll finally see the site come alive again :) Keep your eyes open and keep asking the council if anything is available
Fluffnco

They're reopening Crowdies Hill which is the nearest site to me as far as I can tell anyway..I'm in contact with the allotments officer and will be allocated a plot there as soon as they've finished... eyewitness reports say they've done everythign except fit locks to the gate apparently.... I've got access to unlimited cardboard and with Crappers in Wooton Bassett doing compost for 28 quid a ton (and a ton is a lot of compost BTW, I pretty much loaded my van with as much as I could yesterday and it was only 320Kg.... I'll take my trailer next time too)...problem is you have to load it yourself from a giant loose heap and they work out the costs by using a weighbridge.... I'm not fussed with 9 quid for a vanload though :-).... I should be able to set mine up quickly by putting down cardboard and compost then weedmulch plasticv and planting through that....

chrisc

Fluffnco

• Half Acre
« Reply #332 on: April 20, 2010, 18:58:42 »
Hi chris,
well that's great news :) I've not heard of crappers but will look them up as that's a great price for compost. Have you joined S.A.L.G.A yet? I can give you the secretary's number if you want to get information. I let my membership lapse last year but am going to join up again. They do some great trips and visits and have some good guest speakers so worth popping along. I'm not sure where they meet now. Anyway nice to meet you and if your interested I message me and I'll give you the name and number :)

fluffnco

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #333 on: April 29, 2010, 13:27:11 »
Crappers are in the arse end of no-where, be warned... my Satnav tryied to send me down the M4 and back up the other side  :-). You do have to do all the shovelling yourself though, it's just a big heap and they weigh you on the way in and out on a weighbridge adn charge the difference.....

What's SALGA? (so obviously "no" in answer to your question :D)

What's your soil like./... I think the brickmakers had all the clay out of my area, so what I've got is like gravel...... #

chrisc

taurus

• Hectare
  • Swindon, Wiltshire
« Reply #334 on: April 29, 2010, 14:48:57 »
Hi Chris and Fluffnco,
                Swindon Allotment & Leisure Gardens Association.  Next meeting is on the 20 May 7.30 pm.  At Gorse Hill Community Centre.  Just along the road from Lidl.  Gardeners Bring and buy. Annual General Meeting.  This is a lovely group of people.  Theres all sorts of trips, savings on seeds (Kings) and of course the Knowledge.  Due to work this year have not made a meeting but hope to be at the next one in May,  see you there hopefully  ;D 
                  Wish someone would come and make bricks with the clay on my site  :'( :'(  Glad to see the rain today as ground really hard.
                                    Regards, Taurus

Fluffnco

• Half Acre
« Reply #335 on: April 29, 2010, 19:18:29 »
chris - my site is clay and then....wait for it even more clay...not to mention aquatic for several months of the summer as well as most of winter n spring too so just transferred my plot from 5 to 8 and hopefully a better chance of growing more than pondweed and less chance of smashing my spade or fork. Having had my shed broken into and all hand tools pinched not to mention my old wheel barrow and a few other items taken as well, I am also hoping that being at far end of the site will prevent any further break ins...won't hold my breath though ;) Just got to retrieve my shed and paving slabs, compost bins and a few other things from the guy who took over plots 10 and 11 and I'm in business..

Taurus - hopefully will make the annual meeting and meet you..how will we know each other though? lol. Really wish we had a site rep to fight for new fencing at our plot as the people living in houses that back onto the site can access through their garden's..no fencing to prevent them..kids playing ball, dogs digging up and fouling, tipping, breaking in and taking produce too...can see why it wasn't such a keen choice for most folks...with a bit of love it would be a nice little site though.

anyway, rant over :) hope to see you both at next meeting

taurus

• Hectare
  • Swindon, Wiltshire
« Reply #336 on: April 29, 2010, 20:55:34 »

Hi Fluffnco,
                 How about putting yourself forward as the site rep? The way to get things done is to keep the pressure up.  The improvements that have taken place on my site as been a combined effort by all plot holders as well as myself over a period of about 4 yrs. Mind you it as been said I can nag for the Olympics ;D ;D ;D
Ask Emma for ameeting on site when as many plot holders can attend and write a list to give her.
Perhaps we could arrange to meet up for a coffee somewhere and Chris and digeroo could join us?
                                                              Regards, Taurus

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #337 on: May 25, 2010, 03:08:45 »
Still no news from Emma at my end :( ... I'll have to run my leeks and stuff through another pot iteration and pray that they get themselves sorted out (as well as sow other stuff)... will run out of sdpace at the house soon (certainly if I put all the leeks into final positions) ..... Bit of a mad scramble anyway, still need to sow squashes (going on my Oxford plot), plant out the shelling beans (oxford too) and sow sweetcorn/courgettes/gherkins (home)..... finally got all the GH toms into final positions over the weekend....

I've got a 4.5x2m polytunnel, built a bed 40cm wide by 35 high around the entire side and end walls and got 31 tomatoes at what look like sensible spacings in there.... need to sort out the watering rig too though.... the tunnel and the celeriac next to it will probablyh need 2hrs per day come what may with 2 l/hour drippers on the toms at each station and a length of leaky pipe between the two rows of celeriac.

Will probably need to plumb in the assorted potted plants elsewhere in the garden to the same timer as the tunnel as they're pretty sheltered and the 12+ foot row of peppers, aubergines  and chillis in the tunnel,

Then I'll need to rig a more general garden autowaterer with a timer plus a sensor to over-ride it if it's rained enough ..... The stuff on the oxford plot should be OK cos a fair amount of compost and stuff went in and the squashes will have plenty of manure, Swindon plot if it turns up will get a load of compost and manure in a hurry, a sheet of weedmulch then I'll plant through that this year

Hazelb

• Half Acre
« Reply #338 on: June 18, 2010, 10:29:08 »
I've got a parish allotment in the Swindon area, rather than a Swindon borough Council one.

Can i ask what facilities you get on the different Swindon sites, we have none on ours!!.

No water, no sheds, no lockable gates, no maintenance of the paths.

Do you automatically get water, or some sort of maintance of paths. What about skips or manure deliveries?

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #339 on: June 18, 2010, 13:22:06 »
I've got a parish allotment in the Swindon area, rather than a Swindon borough Council one.

Can i ask what facilities you get on the different Swindon sites, we have none on ours!!.

No water, no sheds, no lockable gates, no maintenance of the paths.

Do you automatically get water, or some sort of maintance of paths. What about skips or manure deliveries?

I think we get a lockable gate but that's it, I don't think there's water onsite.... I'm planning on getting a 1000l tank to put on mine (assuming they ever get round to sorting it out)

chrisc

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal