Author Topic: Totally new to this  (Read 980 times)

Heatherc

Totally new to this
« on: February 11, 2008, 23:08:23 »
Hello all.

Im Heather and im very new to this.  I have just got my first ever allotment and Im very excited but totally confused where to start.

The allotment looks in very good shape, to me anyways.  The plot area is about 9m2, totally flat and although it needs dug over its weed free.

I have 2 small children and work full time so I dont want to bite of more than I can chew so any suggested would be very much welcome.

Where do I start?  how do I get the ground ready? And what do I do after that?  I was thinking I would put some small raised areas in just because it was be easier for me to handle and give me a good start.  Could i use railway sleepers to do this? 

Please be gentle with me, I am the first person in my village to get one of these allotments and there is another 5 to be handed out so i havent really got anyone else to help.   ???

betula

• Hectare
Re: Totally new to this
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 23:36:38 »
Hello Heatherc,
hope you enjoy your new allotment.I started out by making a simple plan eg
where would I put beds,how big,pathways shed, seating area etc.Also useful to note where the shade is at different times of day.As you have children a small grass/play area may be useful.
Railway sleepers are great but can be expensive.Also dont forget your compost heap,and water butt.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 00:14:58 »
Hi Heather. 1st, it is for you and your family to enjoy so get too worried, It sounds as though it is a good site. Perhaps cover some of it to prevent weeds growing while you start in a smaller area, take it slow, especially digging if you are not used to it. You will have it a long time so take it one step at a time and only go the pace you are enjoying.

Railway sleepers are expensive, personally I wouldn't use then because of the creosote but many folks do.

Get yourself a shed and keep and eye on Freecycle, you may get a free greenhouse on there, so plan space for it.

Decide what you want to grow and find out the starting times for those veggies, you have got it in a good time .

Folks here are very sweet  and will give you all the help you need , so don't be afraid to ask.

Some folks are known for certain veggies and can be a great help.I collect and grow a lot squash, tomatoes and beans so I can help you on those ones.More so the squash.

Some veggies I am not too good with but there is always someone who is very good with something I am not sure of, so keep asking,asking and reading.

This is an excellent site, with some very supportive people.

Good Luck and I hope you and you kids enjoy your lottie

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

caseylee

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 00:24:19 »
Hi Heather
I am similar to yourself where I have just got my first allotment.  I have two boys that simply love the dirt, and have had a ball digging it up.  Its a lot of hard work but very rewarding.  I don't know if this will help you, but what I have done is cleared a space in my kitchen and during the eveings when my boys are in bed I have planted all my veggies that can be planted now, and let them start growing in propogaters whilst I finish the digging.  Igot this advise form a lady who has a allotment close by, it saves sometime, cause like you I work full time and so does my partner.  We go down as often as we can and dig a little at a time.  And the best thing about a allotment is that if you want a break from the wonderful kids, its a excellant stress helper.
All the best and let me know how you get along, It would be nice to hear from someone else who is new and learn along the way.
All the best
Linda

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 07:23:55 »
Hope you enjoy the lottie Heather... make sure you have a seating area, even a plank on a couple of Breeze blocks is better than nothing.
 ;D

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2008, 07:50:48 »
Hi Heather, something to sit on and a flask!! I also keep a first aid kit in the shed, because my two kids are always falling over or almost stabbing their feet with forks, caught em using the bamboo canes as light sabres the other day!  Enjoy it though, I've had mine since last year and this year is main planting for me, so finally going to see the fruits of my labour! (or is that the birds? lol)
What I lack in ability and experience, I make up for in sheer enthusiasm!!!

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2008, 08:43:13 »
hiya, Heather, nice to meet you..we made a paper plan and laid down some black, opened out compost bags  and put wood chippings (free from the local council) on top..this way, my grandson knew where to walk and to keep off the bed area..then we covered some of the beds with carpet (many people don't like them) but it was only temporary, they're now on top of the compost heap to keep it warm..this meant we could work a bed at a time..good luck and take before and after piccies  ;D

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2008, 09:12:44 »
Hi Heather and welcome from me.
When I first got my lottie in October 2007 everyone around me had their lottie in immaculate condition as they had been on the site for more than 10 years. (If you look at my blog you will see the high rise of weeds I had to deal with  :o. I decided as I wasn't the one who left it this way, I wasn't going to keep up with my lottie neighbours, but I was going to work at my own pace. I'm lucky I can spend as much or as little time there as I want at the lottie. I got it cleared in no time at all.
Like Jeannine mentioned, clear a bit and cover a bit.
You might find this site useful. You can use it free for 30 days. Make a plan and print it out.
http://www.growveg.com/
 Like Manics said....Take lots of piccies so you can look back and smile and say..."I'm making progress"  ;D
Don't be afraid to ask questions, even if YOU think they might be stupid others won't and are only willing to help. I plan on growing things I hadn't even contemplated thanks to the encouragement of the peeps on this site.
Good Luck with your new way of life.
Lauren  :)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 09:14:31 by Lauren S »
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2008, 11:44:01 »
Hiya Heather

Good for you girl and welcome! What you need to decide is what you like to eat that costs a lot.

As you have children they willl need to be encouraged to be interested so the usual raspberries and strawberries would be a good start!

I see very little point in growing stuff that you wouldn't particularly like or that costs very little (like quantities of potatoes which cost £5.50 for a big 55lbs sack!)

Your children should like the usual quick growing things that will keep their interest ie radishes, salady stuff, sunflowers (who can grow the tallest) etc.

Good luck with it - you will probably find others who also get an allotment with a lot more experience than me and will know about local conditions etc. so keep asking for advice!

Old Bird

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal