Author Topic: Polystyrene Seed Trays - where to find them ?  (Read 12546 times)

mikey

• Acre
  • Head Gardener
Polystyrene Seed Trays - where to find them ?
« on: February 04, 2008, 10:43:33 »
Mornin' All,

I am trying to find Polystyrene seed trays. These were common some years ago made from the same stuff as ceiling tiles.
They came in 3 sizes, 8 cells, 12 cells and 40 cells (I think)
A 'pack' was supplied with an 'extractor' which was a polystyrene board the same size as the seed tray/s with raised Pegs, the tray was placed on the Pegs and gentle pressure applied, the seedlings + root ball came away clean and undamaged.

I have use my trays for +/- 20 years and they are now well past their 'use by' date (much like their owner  ;D)
The only trays I can find on Web searches are the Parasene propagator unit, which is exactly what I want, but only the seed tray .... not all the other gubbins which comes in the 'kit' ... and at £4.99 (in Homebase) a non starter for me.

If these trays are still available can someone point me in the right direction please ?

Cheers
Mikey
North Willingham, Lincolnshire (20 miles North East of Lincoln)  HASL: 55m

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
Re: Polystyrene Seed Trays - where to find them ?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 13:23:17 »
Mikey I know the ones you mean. I have 10  of  the 24's and 10 of the 40's. I have tried looking through late husbands papers but at moment can't find where he bought them.Will certainly let you know if I come across the supplier. I really do like them.

mikey

• Acre
  • Head Gardener
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 13:49:07 »
Lorna,

I like 'em too:
help keep the seedlings warm
rigid when picking up and moving
so easy popping out the seedlings without damage

Maybe Chloe-Anne would know   ;D

thanks
Mikey

Jitterbug

• Hectare
  • Dance as if no one is watching...
    • Leighton Lottie
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008, 14:52:24 »
Hello Mikey

I got some a year or so ago from B&Q and also HOmebase.  I am also sure that I have seen them at Stewarts Nursery.  I am going to have another look as I need some of that white matting stuff that absorbs the water as although I have washed mine it looks grubby. 

Good luck they are very useful when I plant out tomato and aubergine seeds as I put one per cell so it saves time on pricking out.

Regards

Jitterbug
If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning....

Plum

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 08:45:55 »
I got some in Wilkinsons last year

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2008, 16:05:03 »
I've just bought one from homebase, part of a windowsill propagator, complete with capillary matting £4.99  :)

mikey

• Acre
  • Head Gardener
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2008, 08:32:11 »
I've just bought one from homebase, part of a windowsill propagator, complete with capillary matting £4.99  :)

The Cell Tray which you bought with your 'kit' is exactly what I am looking for, but only the trays.

If anyone comes across Trays only please let me know

By the way, the kit you bought from Homebase was £3.99 last year in Homebase !!!
25% is not a bad little markup, wish my Pension moved as fast  ;D

thanks
Mikey
« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 08:34:06 by mikey »

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2008, 10:56:52 »
I think you can get these from N.A.Kays Horticulture - they do have a website but it's not very descriptive. I think you want to ask for polystyrene bedding trays, and you need to know how many cells you want to a tray. Tel is: 01946 692134 and website is http://www.kaysdiscountgarden.co.uk/1.html.

I know there is a company called Styropack that make them, but don't think you can buy direct in small quantities. They recycle them too, theres a contact number on this link http://www.styropack.co.uk/mos/images/stories/re-use%20your%20bedding%20tray.pdf

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal