Author Topic: Need advice....greenhouse not in ideal position!  (Read 3111 times)

beanie3

• Half Acre
Need advice....greenhouse not in ideal position!
« on: February 06, 2008, 20:28:49 »
Hi all!

New to this so apologies if this has been recently covered!  My husband and I bought a house which already has a greenhouse and lets say my toms were not very succussful last year at all.  The greenhouse is not in the ideal position - its a lean too against the garage/brick shed and only gets the sun lunchtime/late afternoon....it doesnt help that nextdoors plants are quite overgrown so blocks a little.  The greenhouse is plastic.  What i think i need is to keep warmth in - i have heard bubblewrap inside helps???  Any suggestions??

Thanks in advance.  Gill.  :)

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
Re: Need advice....greenhouse not in ideal position!
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 21:16:26 »
Hi Gill,

My greenhouse will also only get afternoon and evening sun, and its polycarbonate. Bubble wrap is a good insulator.

For the dark aspect of the greenhouse situation you could also either use sheets of baking foil (cheapo one from Lidl or similar) or cardboard painted white to reflect light back from dark walls.

I guess I will be doing this too. Good luck ;)
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 21:27:35 »
hiya, beanie..nice to meet you..don't take last year as normal, I think lots of people had a problem with lots of things  ;D

beanie3

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 21:39:03 »
Thanks for the advice hectare - off i go to lidl/diy store to buy some coverings for the indoors.  It will look liek a big indoor present!!!!

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 21:48:01 »
Hi Beanie and welcome from me too  :)
I was told that to grow in a greenhouse you really only need heat and light, not necessarily full sun. My father-in-law has his on the north side of his bungalow and he always gets fabulous goodies from the greenhouse. He does have lots of room all the way around it plus there are no over hanging trees etc, so lots of natural light.
Like manics said, everyone had problems with greenhouse growing last year. Don't be discouraged. This year is going to be much better.. It's a leap year  ;D
Lauren
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

beanie3

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2008, 14:27:41 »
Thanks Lauren.  Hopefully it was just a bad first year!

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2008, 15:00:39 »
Some people paint the wall white or cover it with silver foil to give reflect light back at plants and help reduce seedlings tendency to grow towards the sun.

Chris Graham

• Hectare
  • Stirling, Scotland
    • Backyard
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2008, 12:29:58 »
For the dark aspect of the greenhouse situation you could also either use sheets of baking foil (cheapo one from Lidl or similar) or cardboard painted white to reflect light back from dark walls.

Thats a very good idea!  I'll do that to the back of my greenhouse.

Astronomy, Veggies & Beer

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal