Author Topic: Loo roll innards  (Read 7498 times)

beckydore

• Half Acre
Loo roll innards
« on: February 03, 2008, 10:28:14 »
What am I supposed to use loo rolls inner tubes for again? I thought it was for planting my beans in before they go in the ground but now I see I should be saving them for my parsnips, but I don’t know why.
Anyone want to give me a list of useful things to do with loo rolls.

sarah

• Hectare
Re: Loo roll innards
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 11:42:30 »
if you want to start off parsnips in modules rather than direct sowing, then loo rolls are just the thing because parsnips have a long tap root which doesnt want to be disturbed too much when transplanting. so thats why loo rolls for them. other things which are good for loo rolls are sweetcorn (same reason as parsnips) and any beans just because they are a convenient size and cheaper than pots.  sweetpeas too. one thing to remember is thatt when you plant intot he ground there is no need to remove the loo roll but do make sure it is all below the surface; i usually cut down one side just to allow it to spread.

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 17:48:27 »
I am using mine for onion seedlings and leeks. Yesterday I pricked out about 60 giant onion seedlings and set them in individual loo rolls. I am also planning to use them for parnsips and sweet peas.

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008, 23:25:41 »
Consider loo roll tubes as a *Poor (Wo)man's Rootrainer*  ;D
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2008, 14:35:35 »
I am collecting a load from work for my sweet peas!

Old Bird

;D

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2008, 16:51:21 »
Gosh hun I usr them for most things, I tend to lose a lot of pots as I grow for an organic garden as well. So instead of paying out for more I get the neighbours to save them for me, Ive pricked out lettuce into them as well as most of my other veg.

For lettuce I cut the loo roll in half so I get 2 little pots..........how many lettuce? Well last year FAR TOO MANY ;D ;D ;D

I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

caseylee

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2008, 17:17:31 »
I have been collecting my loo rolls for arts and crafts with my boys, but have far to many, I do like the idea of starting the parsnips in them and the corn so I will def be trying that

Chris Graham

• Hectare
  • Stirling, Scotland
    • Backyard
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2008, 18:14:48 »
I'm going to use them for surrounding my leeks once planted out, gives them a bit of protection and....i hope....blanched stems.

Astronomy, Veggies & Beer

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2008, 20:17:14 »
........living a solitary, if not constipated, life ::)...I've not saved many loo rolls in the past, BUT when I have....a question....how do you keep them upright when filled? They fall over in trad. pre-formed shapes, etc......so what's the knack here, please?

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2008, 21:12:59 »
Tha 'knack' is to put them in a seed-box or tupperwary thingy.... ;)

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2008, 21:13:59 »
Alishka if you want some i could post em to you

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2008, 21:30:34 »
Deb's! You really are some-thing else!! Flogging off all your second hand loo-rolls......... :P

silverbirch

• Acre
  • My body is a temple - but so is the acropolis.
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2008, 21:37:36 »
I use them for all the beans and sweet corn.  If I could ever collect enough (People give me funny looks at work) I'd probably use them for a lot more.

I'd never thought of parsnips, but that's a good one.

Alishka_Maxwell
You can get 24 in a standard seed tray, or use one of the 24 hole tray inserts.

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2008, 21:52:07 »
The thing to do is use more loo paper. Don't economise.  Be generous.   ;D ;D ;D ;D
The Tuscan Beaneater

sarah

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2008, 12:34:41 »
i always have a problem with the mould that forms when growing in loo rolls. i have heard on here that it isnt really worthworrying about but... i dont like mould much. is there a way of preventing the mould? is it really ok?  ???

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2008, 13:07:50 »
I use plastic washing up bowls to stand the loo rolls in as they  give better support than seed trays.  They also transport better, in the car to the lottie. If you do have to buy them try the pound shops.  I got 2 for a £1.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2008, 16:56:19 »
i always have a problem with the mould that forms when growing in loo rolls. i have heard on here that it isnt really worthworrying about but... i dont like mould much. is there a way of preventing the mould? is it really ok?  ???
Don't worry about it. It does happen-paper+soil+water will create mould. It won't bother the plants. Ignore it.
Ken.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2008, 17:56:00 »
someone on here, can't recall the name, said a used teabag at the bottom stops the compost falling through, going to try it this year for my sunflowers  ;D

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2008, 18:00:49 »
Don't bother, Mani'...if you put your rolls into a tray the soil isn't going anywhere. When it comes to planting out, you'll find the roots will give the soil enough support between tray and planting hole. Honest... ;)

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2008, 19:58:32 »
someone on here, can't recall the name, said a used teabag at the bottom stops the compost falling through, going to try it this year for my sunflowers  ;D

might it have been me? I remember doing it (the one and only time I tried using the darned things) :-\

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal