Author Topic: The Wonder of Woolies!!  (Read 7581 times)

beckydore

• Half Acre
Re: The Wonder of Woolies!!
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2008, 20:30:01 »
I've been into a couple of woolies this week and they are starting to get the plants and trees in. (Sheldon had fruit trees - mostly about a tenner). Picked up a pomegranate for £2.99 and 2 asparagus for £2.49.

Teena

• Not So New ...
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2008, 11:56:18 »
hi there
we have just been in 'woolies' in sutton-in-ashfield and got a real bargain
a 'tayberry' bush for £1.99     they are £6 at our local garden centre
we also got a potentilla and a spiria both for £1.79
well impressed
cheers teena

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2008, 13:58:09 »
Thanks for the info folks.  Been in today & picked up a covered poly shelf thingy to bring on my seeds & make use of the spae, half price and a gift box of Spear & Jackson hand fork, trowel & secateurs reduced from £20 to £6 - just what we need for leaving in the shed at the lottie.

Cheers
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

mat

• Hectare
  • Ryedale, North Yorks. Sandy loam, over sandstone
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2008, 18:41:45 »
Caroline, I cannot reply to you personally, as I receive a message that your inbox is full.  Therefore...

... Yes, Woolies in York is definitely closing; there's posters in the window.  It's closing on January 19th.  Obviously there's no garden items in stock; in fact many shelves are now bare.  >:(

This will save you a trip!

mat

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2008, 22:49:35 »
Thanks Mat- strange, my inbox is telling me it's 50% full!

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2008, 04:54:13 »
Woolworths in Aberystwyth has got their half price plants in.
They have fruit trees, fruit bushes, onion & potato sets, aquatic plants, ornamental trees, shrubs, plants, bulbs. All seeds and gardening equipment is half price too.

I bought a tayberry, loganberry, cabernet sauvignon grape, white grape, 2 pomegranates & 6 'cambridge favourite' strawberries. For the fruit garden. I also bought a waterlily 'attraction', cattail, pickerel rush & black water iris for my ponds. That should keep me busy until Friday 25th when Lidl gets their fruit plants in.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 05:33:14 by Baccy Man »

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2008, 21:03:04 »
Woolies in Wood Green now has its fruit trees in (average 4ft) for £9.99 plus you get a free Willow with each one.

But the best bargain I found today was the 30ft long rolls of velcro for tying in plants. Reduced from £2.99 to 75p. Ning nang noo.

;D

Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

floraldi

• Half Acre
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2008, 16:41:07 »
I'm not surprised Woolies are selling stuff at half price, or even closing stores down. In the last 12 months their share price has dropped by more that 70%, from 34p to 10p. 

There should be some good bargains out there this spring.

I have always noticed that our local Woolies was full of customers but they stopped selling seeds etc some time ago.  I was going to buy the shares because of the yield as they might be taken over. In any case I just can;t see them going down the tubes.

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2008, 20:55:50 »
Florald, my nearest Woolies in Camden Town stopped selling gardening items two or three years ago, but the next nearest, in Kentish Town (just a couple of bus stops away) continued. When I asked they said it was a conscious decision to do this - there was no need for the space in both stores to be used for gardening goods, especially as the Camden branch is smaller.
Lesson for life:

leiden64

• Not So New ...
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2008, 09:21:56 »
I think ours is struggling  because of competition from the nearby Wilkinsons. Wilkinsons seems to be stocking similar but wider range of goods at even cheaper prices (and its a bigger shop compared to our Woolies). I used to go to woolies, but have swopped to Wilkos and I'm guessing others have done the same...

Just Vegging Out

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2008, 16:45:18 »
Those of you who have grown pomegranites - can you plant them outside or do you have to keep them in tubs inside?  And when you say you can grow from seed - can this be the seed from inside the fruits you buy - or do you have to buy the seeds special?  Like are the seeds in the fruit we eat too imature to grow and do the right seeds have to mature for ages on the tree?

I love Pommies.

beckbeck

• Not So New ...
  • my allotment
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2008, 14:15:20 »
Have just been to my local woolies and bought blackcurrant(Ben Lomond) and redcurrant(Jonkeer van tets) for £1.99 each, does anyone know anything about these varities,first go at growing fruit this year,am putting them in large pots till i can find the right place for them at the lottie.woolies also had tayberry and gooseberry bushes for same price,might go back next week to get them,Becky.

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2008, 23:33:53 »
My Woolies Ben Lomond is FABULOUS! Can't fault it - prolific fruiter, large fruits, easy to care for, in fact I've just bought another one - and a redcurrant too! Can't tell you much about the redcurrant yet (we can compare notes), but if it's half as good as the blackcurrant I'll be well pleased.
Lesson for life:

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2008, 23:51:13 »
I grew Pomegranates from seed "JustVegging OUt"... from what I remember the seeds were dry without the pulp... but fully ripened ones should have viable seed... I'd ferment the pulp off, it may inhibit the germination. Started mine in a cold greenhouse, brought them in for winter for about 5 years but don't bother anymore!

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2008, 09:26:29 »
I grew mine from seed as well, just bunged 'em in some compost  ;D but they stay in the g/h over winter

I bought woolies blueberry £1.99 but then our local 'poundland store' had them in for, guess what  8) so I bought 2 more - can never have enough blueberries

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal