Author Topic: The Wonder of Woolies!!  (Read 7578 times)

Mammoth Onion

• Quarter Acre
The Wonder of Woolies!!
« on: January 09, 2008, 23:28:09 »
Let out again today and popped into my local Woolworth's. Lot's of plants, seeds,shrubs etc.. half price, bogoffs or two for a pound. Bought some cranberry bushes for £3-49p and was tempted to try the pomegranate, might go back and read the label :) next time I'm in Leigh!!
Also had lots of small tool kits e. g. trowels, forks, dibbers, half price.

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
Re: The Wonder of Woolies!!
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 02:51:30 »
Brill! I knew they'd be getting their stuff in this week, as are most of our favourites: Wilkos, Pundstretcher/land/shop, 99p Stores, etc.

Pomegranate? Not seen that in Woolies before. I'm going shopping tomorrow...

I may be some time...

;D
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 04:23:49 »
tomorrow i am going to try and get out of the house and get some fresh air :)

Might try and make my way up to woolies :) after all i do still need to get to lidl to collect my label thingy and its on the way :)

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 09:53:47 »
Bought some cranberry bushes for £3-49p and was tempted to try the pomegranate, might go back and read the label :) next time I'm in Leigh!!

A few people here have grown pomegranates with varying success - I grew mine from a seed  ;D

RosieMcPosie

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 10:44:01 »
oooh im excited about this- might pop into the big wolies in slough on saturday! and then i can go 99p shop, poundland and wilkos too!
oooooooh dear that's my new years resolution down the drain! save money? pah!
proud owner of a lottie since August 2007!

Rob08

• Acre
    • One Voice in Cyberspace
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 11:15:56 »
Bought some cranberry bushes for £3-49p and was tempted to try the pomegranate, might go back and read the label :) next time I'm in Leigh!!

A few people here have grown pomegranates with varying success - I grew mine from a seed  ;D

How long does it take to fruit from seed?  I have seed for dwarf pomegranate and would be curious to know.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2008, 11:27:05 »
Just read yesterday that Woolies in York is closing down at the end of this month- don't supposethey'll have bothered getting any garden stuff in. :(

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2008, 12:53:50 »
Quote from: Rob08

[/quote

How long does it take to fruit from seed?  I have seed for dwarf pomegranate and would be curious to know.

mine isn't likely to for a long time as I don't think its is warmth enough (north west) but I know others have - maybe do a search for previous threads if no-one gets back to you - they are nice shrubs though

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2008, 14:18:01 »
Quote from: Rob08

[/quote

mine isn't likely to for a long time as I don't think its is warmth enough (north west) but I know others have - maybe do a search for previous threads if no-one gets back to you - they are nice shrubs though
I got mine from a local W.I. still,it flowered after 2 years for me but only got the 1 Pomegranate.

Baaaaaaaa

• Acre
  • Life's a treat for those who bleat.
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2008, 15:42:39 »
I'm not surprised Woolies are selling stuff at half price, or even closing stores down. In the last 12 months their share price has dropped by more that 70%, from 34p to 10p.  They'll do anything to get shoppers into their stores.

Other store that are also having a bad time are :-

Dixons - drop of 65% in 12 months , and a particularly bad Christmas trading report
 Currys - Drop of 50%, similar trading report - we're just not buying those bis screen TV's.
 M&S     - Down 28% THIS WEEK alone (560p down to 400 !)

There should be some good bargains out there this spring.
Maximus, Procerus, Vegetus

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2008, 15:51:03 »
Anybody know how Wyevale's shares are doing? ;D

Arumlily

• Acre
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2008, 22:38:24 »
Wish I had seen this thread before parting with 10 quid this morning. I visited my local garden centre and bought 3 packs of geranium, and 1 pack of petunia, and it amounted to £ 9:94p. One of the geranium pack cost me £3 and had only 10 seeds. I shan't make this mistake again.

mat

• Hectare
  • Ryedale, North Yorks. Sandy loam, over sandstone
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2008, 19:01:21 »
Just read yesterday that Woolies in York is closing down at the end of this month- don't supposethey'll have bothered getting any garden stuff in. :(

Yes, I will miss this branch too, strange as the store was always busy.  Oh well...   >:(  I didn't have time to look today, but I'll take a look when I go past on Monday, but I too doubt they'll stock up with gardening stuff either.  We do have a Wilkinsons coming in a months time tho  ;D

mat

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2008, 20:19:52 »
Is that definite, Mat? I read it a while ago but couldn't see it on their website the other day.

Whereabouts in York are you, mat?

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2008, 22:09:47 »
Ours closed down a few years ago - nearest is 17 km away now, bit far on the bike!
For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else.

http://www.plotholes.blogspot.com

kitten

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2008, 18:33:55 »
I'm not surprised Woolies have been suffering lately, ours used to be totally ace, you could spend hrs in there looking round & find almost anything you wanted, but now all they seem to bother about are mobile phones, computer games & dvds/cds.  Plus they've made the isles really skinny so it's a nightmare trying to navigate around it. It's really gone down in my estimation, but thankfully where i work there's a slightly larger one with the gardening stuff in x
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2008, 21:05:03 »
I'm not surprised Woolies have been suffering lately, ours used to be totally ace, you could spend hrs in there looking round & find almost anything you wanted, but now all they seem to bother about are mobile phones, computer games & dvds/cds.  Plus they've made the isles really skinny so it's a nightmare trying to navigate around it.

You said it!

And another thing - how high the goods are stacked on the shelves. I was in Poundstretcher today (same company I believe) and they've done exactly the same. They've refitted with ceiling-high shelf units - one of which had just come away from it's fixings and collapsed.
Lesson for life:

mat

• Hectare
  • Ryedale, North Yorks. Sandy loam, over sandstone
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2008, 08:41:57 »
Is that definite, Mat? I read it a while ago but couldn't see it on their website the other day.
Whereabouts in York are you, mat?

Its been in the "Press" (so "must" be true?!) that it is definately closing, all stock will be sold off or tranferred back to depot and Woolies have blamed "Business Reasons".  There's a rumour by Boots staff that Boots are transferring there... But Boots will not confirm/deny...

I relocated here a year ago (new life, job, location, etc  ;D)  and LOVE it.  I was in the centre of York (near Fulford Road/Ouse) but moved to my house I bought last October.  I'll send you a personal mail through A4A re: my location.

mat

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2008, 15:50:25 »
The Woolies here has onion sets (Sturon & Red Baron) at £2.99 for 100, AND with a buy one get one free offer.
All the summer flowering bulbs and shrubs were on buy one get one free too.
Also saw pomegranate as mentioned earlier, and gooseberry, afraid didn't note the price, but did see peach, nectarine, apple, plum & pear trees at £9.99 each.

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2008, 20:01:50 »
Big Woolies branch near me is just starting to get its goodies in. Today I saw the pomegranates  - priced at £5.99,  but when I took one to the till the assistant said they'd been marked down to £2.99 - so I nipped back sharpish and got another one! No fruit trees in yet - a few Rowans and a couple of Acers only, so far. Now, next door, in Wilkinsons...

;D
Lesson for life:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal