Author Topic: Paper pots  (Read 6747 times)

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
Paper pots
« on: January 28, 2008, 13:49:28 »
I've been asked for this one again.
First pic's are for standard pots.
Second lot of pic's show an adjustable one I use for things requiring a longer rather than wider root system.
 Leave the plant in the paper pot when planting. Just make a few holes with your fingers before planting out.
Ken.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 13:51:01 by kenkew »

beckydore

• Half Acre
Re: Paper pots
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 10:23:54 »
What's the second one made from - drainpipes??
Becky

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 14:53:54 »
Yes, plastic drain pipe. This one is about 2" across. The outer one slides to make longer ones although it's just as easy to cut longer pipe!

Baaaaaaaa

• Acre
  • Life's a treat for those who bleat.
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 15:36:45 »
Baaaaaaaa-riliant, but where can I get some Belgium newspaper from ? ???
Maximus, Procerus, Vegetus

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008, 16:46:25 »
Belgium?
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2008, 17:58:02 »
Do you just tuck the end in or do ya glue it ???

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2008, 19:24:53 »
Give it a good tuck.  ;)    ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2008, 13:54:23 »
Take hold of the bottom end where you should have plenty of spare paper, twist and push into the bottom of the can, firm but not too hard. This will hold the pot together.
 If I have any wallpaper paste legt over I put a smear on the edge of the paper at the final roll.
 Been doing this for more years than I can remember. It's pots for free, no cleaning and sterilising every spring and it's environmentally 100% better than plastic!

caseylee

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2008, 11:06:32 »
sorry if this is a silly question, when I wrap the newspaper on the cans should I wet the end to make it stick, and when I water the seeds does the pots fall apart or do they stay together quiet well,and last but not least how many times should the paper go around the can to make them secure

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2008, 11:23:34 »
Tabloid size newspaper: Open it up at the middle pages. Tear down the centre crease top to bottom. This gives two piles of pages. Put one pile on the other. Fold left over right and crease down length. Open again and tear down this crease. Put one pile on the other. This is the size to make a pot.
 Take top sheet (which is now half width of a page) and fold over about 1" along the length. Turn that single sheet over, line-up your can and roll the paper round it. You can if you wish smear a bit of paste onto the end flap to help it stick. Finish the roll. One side of your paper should be level with the top of the can (or just slightly below the small rim on the can). The other end of the paper will hang over the can by a coule of inches or so. Take hold of that paper, twist and push into the can base. This size and method makes a firm pot.
 You can get 15 pots into a standard 'A4' size seed tray. The tray will help support the pots.
 The pots won't fall to bits when watered unless you start lifting and moving them, which you shouldn't need to do until planting out time.

caseylee

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2008, 11:48:05 »
thank you for that, I have been trying to make them for about a hour now and they did not work, but I am going to ty your method, hopefully I get it right lol
Linda

caseylee

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2008, 12:14:35 »
def works I managed to make quite a few out a cheap newspaper, brilliant idea thank you

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2008, 13:37:15 »
A few more pic's might make things clearer....Note how to cut the tin. One end is opened as normal, the other end is opened sideways on using a 'normal' tin opener but so that the rim on that side of the can is removed. Any sharp bits inside the can can be flattened with the back of a spoon.

caseylee

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2008, 17:15:44 »
I just want to say thank you for all the pictures on how to make them.  I am very bored at night when the kids are in bed and have made tons of them, and they ahve saved me buying the peat pots like I usually do.  My friends and n/bours always buy newpapers so I have a constant supply.  We have even made different sizes,and I have planted my onions in them to get themn started.
Thank you again

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2008, 21:04:20 »
If you never buy a plastic pot again then it's been a worth-while posting. Good on you! Start rolling... :D

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2008, 21:06:51 »
thank you kenkew very well illustrated i think even i could do that lol watch this space,
i suppose smaller tins would make smaller pots  ;D

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2008, 21:11:42 »
Sure would, Deb's. Some people use jam jars but you really need both ends open for easy extraction. (And thats a big word tonight!)

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2008, 21:12:46 »
perfick!!! :-*

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2008, 14:25:07 »
Mini Paper pots: Ideal where seeds are limited and you need to transplant without disturbing other seedlings.
 Same as using a tin can but here it's a photo canister.
Paper size;
 [attachment=1]

Fold over one long side.
[attachment=2]

Turn paper over
[attachment=3]

Canister with bottom cut out
[attachment=4]

Roll up with folded edge touching lip of canister
[attachment=5]

Tuck paper into base
[attachment=6]

There you have it
[attachment=7]

caseylee

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2008, 14:29:26 »
I didden't think of using a canister I wanted smaller ones, I was using a loo roll, excellant idea. Would the smaller ones be ok for starting carrots in

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal