Author Topic: Apple tree growth  (Read 1733 times)

davholla

• Hectare
Apple tree growth
« on: January 25, 2008, 14:56:36 »
I read that you should only produce growth from the last 12 months (ie not old growth).

A) Is there a way to tell which growth is new ?

B) What is best way to mark where the tree is now so next year I know where to prune it.

GodfreyRob

• Acre
  • Good Boy!
    • The VGA Live!
Re: Apple tree growth
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 15:14:59 »
Its pretty easy to tell new growth (i.e. from the latest season). Its got three characteristics:

Its the thinnest extension of a branch - the previous seasons growth will be thicker (by at least one year or more if the new growth is straight from an older branch).

It will be fairly flexible too - 2 year old wood is generally much stiffer (woodier).

Often it will also be lighter (if not green) than previous seasons wood. Older wood just about always gets darker as it matures. Typically new shoots are green - turning red through brown to black.
Software for Vegetable Growers:
The VGA Live!

davholla

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008, 15:40:05 »
Its pretty easy to tell new growth (i.e. from the latest season). Its got three characteristics:

Its the thinnest extension of a branch - the previous seasons growth will be thicker (by at least one year or more if the new growth is straight from an older branch).

It will be fairly flexible too - 2 year old wood is generally much stiffer (woodier).

Often it will also be lighter (if not green) than previous seasons wood. Older wood just about always gets darker as it matures. Typically new shoots are green - turning red through brown to black.

So old wood be black anything else is new ??

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 09:51:27 »
The old growth is darker, there will be a slightly knobbly portion on the wood where one year ends and the next years growth starts.
You say "I read that you should only produce growth from the last 12 months (ie not old growth)."
This isn't quite true, you can make a tree grow new shoots from wherever you want, by cutting in the appropriate places. What sort of growth do you want? are you looking to make branches grow longer? Are you looking to make fruiting buds?

davholla

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2008, 16:28:41 »
The old growth is darker, there will be a slightly knobbly portion on the wood where one year ends and the next years growth starts.
You say "I read that you should only produce growth from the last 12 months (ie not old growth)."
This isn't quite true, you can make a tree grow new shoots from wherever you want, by cutting in the appropriate places. What sort of growth do you want? are you looking to make branches grow longer? Are you looking to make fruiting buds?

The trees are quite young so I want to do the following :-
a) get apples - make fruiting bugs
b) encourage growth
c) train them I want them to be bush shaped but not too wide.  If that makes sense.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2008, 18:37:29 »
A lot depends on what has already been done to the tree by the nursery, and how old it is now. I understand from your previous posts that they are not very old. So, I will assume they are around 2 years.
Have a look at it. It may have a central stem, a little longer than the others, pointing straight up. This is the leader.
Coming off this stem, will be side stems. These are the lateral branches.
If you want, you can cut the leader off, to a point just above a lateral branch.
Have a look first, if there is no central stem pointing straight up, this will already have been done at the nursery and you will already be seeing the startings of a bush shaped tree.
From the point the leader is cut, the nearest lateral branch will tend, during next year, to veer up to replace the leader that you cut off. You can weaken this tendency by putting a tie around the branch and securing the tie so that the branch is forced to grow at an angle and prevented from growing straight up - the tie can be secured to the trunk, but must be checked regularly to make sure it isn't cutting into the bark. This tying method will also help to promote early fruiting on the lateral branches. You want to encourage an angle of 60 degrees approx or more.
To deal with pruning the lateral branches - this year you may want them to grow a little longer, quickly. So, you can prune now, in winter - cut a little off the ends off the lateral branches. Have a look at them, identify the new wood, which will be lighter and thinner, find a decent outward facing bud around half to three quarters the way along the new growth and make your cut, very slightly angled, at about 1/4" in front of the bud, leaving the bud on the branch. You will be cutting off around a quarter to a half of the new growth. This bud at the end will become vegetative, i.e. it will turn into a bud which produces stem, rather than flowers.
If you have any lateral branches which are misplaced, i.e. pointing inwards, or are damaged, it would be wise to remember to remove them first. Cut them close to the main trunk, but you don't have to get the cut flush, a small piece protruding won't hurt.
This is really all you should do in this early stage.
Before you get to the stage in future years of pruning to encourage fruit, you need to identify whether your trees are spur bearing or tip bearing varieties, because the pruning regime is different.
Hope this helps.

Jon Munday

• Quarter Acre
    • Fruit Nursery
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2008, 20:02:35 »
This might be of interest, some picture are also shown in our fruit growers handbook section
www.blackmoor.co.uk
What to do

·          Free-standing fruit trees, such as those grown in an orchard should be pruned when they are dormant, in winter. Trained trees, such as espaliers, cordons, pyramids and fans should be pruned in late August or early September.

·         Remove the dead, dying and diseased branches, then look for branches that are crossing over each other and remove them.

·         Cut out branches that are growing into the centre of the tree, as this prevents sunlight from reaching it.

·          If the tree has reached the desired height then cut back the leaders (the new growth at the tip of each branch) by about two-thirds.

·           A few fruit tree are tip-bearers, fruiting mainly at the ends of longer sideshoots. If this is true of your tree, simply cut out some older sideshoots in winter to make way for younger ones.

When pruning it is essential to keep your secateurs sharp. Blunt tools can cause branches to tear, leading to wounds on the tree that will attract disease. It is also important to have a pruning saw to cut off larger branches.

Free-standing fruit trees or bush trees, such as those grown in an orchard should be pruned when they are dormant, in winter. Trained trees, such as espaliers, cordons, pyramids and fans should be pruned in late August or early September.

A bush tree is the most common form of fruit tree, with an open arrangement of branches growing from a short trunk. Remove any dead, dying or diseased branches and then cut out any branches that are crossing over each other. branches that are growing into the centre of the tree can also be cut out , as prevents sunlight from reaching it.

If the tree has reached the desired height, cut back the leaders (the new growth at the tip of each branch) by about two-thirds. If you want the tree to grow taller, leave the leaders and cut back lateral branches leaving about six buds.

Pruning shaped fruit trees

There are numerous ways trees can be trained, according to the type of fruit and the space available. Avoid tip bearing varieties when buying a tree to shape, as it is necessary to spur prune these plants to keep the shape.

The simplest form of fruit tree is a cordon, a single, supported straight stem studded with short fruiting spurs that receive most of the plant's vigour and light. For the first three years until fruiting begins, the aim of pruning is to develop the shape by tying in the main stem, or leader, and shortening new sideshoots, or laterals, to three leaves beyond their basal cluster of leaves. Cut back any shoots that grow from these pruned laterals to one leaf.

Once the leader reaches the required height, shorten its new growth annually to two buds in late August. In winter cut the spurs out to prevent crowding. Apple or pear espaliers and fans are pruned in the same way, each branch being treated as a separate cordon.

Pruning overgrown trees

Old, neglected trees are often vigorous and very large, with the fruit out of reach. Rejuvenate them over two to three seasons by cutting out all the dead or diseased wood as well as a few main branches to allow more sunlight in.

Shortening others to side branches and thinning overcrowded spurs also helps stimulate new productive shoots.

davholla

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2008, 18:01:56 »
Thanks for the advice.

I am worried about pruning in case I damage the tree.

The varieties I have are :-

M26 D'Arcy Spice
M26 family tree Jester, Fiesta, Jupiter
M27 Ashmead's Kernel (in a pot)
M27 Pixie (in a pot)

Does anyone know if they are tip or spur bearing ?

Jon Munday

• Quarter Acre
    • Fruit Nursery
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2008, 17:31:32 »
None of these are tip bearing as far as I know. I would be slightly worried though with you family tree though. Jupiter is a very vigorous variety and if your not carefull this will out grow the other 2 varieties.
Jon

davholla

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2008, 19:57:50 »
None of these are tip bearing as far as I know. I would be slightly worried though with you family tree though. Jupiter is a very vigorous variety and if your not carefull this will out grow the other 2 varieties.
Jon
Thanks for that I will try to keep it under control, at the moment it is only one branch that is jupiter.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal