Author Topic: rotovator  (Read 912 times)

Thegoodlife

• Half Acre
rotovator
« on: January 25, 2008, 17:39:35 »
Hi,

not often i ask for help but in this case im puzzled. i have a good old merry tiller 1958 model it has a new 5hp briggs engine & not long ago it would run but as soon as you opened up the throttle the thing would cut out, so i cleaned all the carb out new plug gave the filter a good clean, put it all back together & its ran fine, until now same symptoms running fine then just died the engine will start & idle for about a min then stops or when you open the throttle stops! could it be that i did not get all of the cr*p out of the carb in the first place?? :(

ive rebuilt  many engines over the years but this one is giving me some right grief!! only managed to do a 10ft square bit this afternnoon wanted to get the mustard turned in!

today i will be growin veg!!

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
Re: rotovator
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 20:50:18 »
First of all you should not have put crap in the petrol tank. If it's a hotozontal crank engine with gravity fuel feed there's not a lot to go wrong unless you tinker with the settings or lose a spring on the advance/retard.
If it has the fuel tank under the carb the fine gause filters on the uplift pipe/s may be clogged. These also have a very delicate rubber membrane that is the fuel pump and may require replacing.

Is it easy to start? If not you may have overloaded the engine and partially sheared the flywheel key. This would knock out the timing.

Thegoodlife

• Half Acre
Re: rotovator
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008, 21:14:21 »
First of all you should not have put crap in the petrol tank. If it's a hotozontal crank engine with gravity fuel feed there's not a lot to go wrong unless you tinker with the settings or lose a spring on the advance/retard.
If it has the fuel tank under the carb the fine gause filters on the uplift pipe/s may be clogged. These also have a very delicate rubber membrane that is the fuel pump and may require replacing.

Is it easy to start? If not you may have overloaded the engine and partially sheared the flywheel key. This would knock out the timing.

Engine is very easy to start and as for loading the soil here is a very light loam/sandy.
fuel is not gravity feed tank is under the carb, timing is fine like i said before the engine was running fine last week & this afternoon until this little dick fit!.
And i did not put crap in the tank!!

any way since ive posted the topic ive sorted it all out nothing beats me ive had the carb in soak with a carb cleaning solution & what a load of crap has been flushed out and as for the tank :o
.(lose a spring on the advance/retard. ) <<<<<< retard!!!!!!! ???
(

today i will be growin veg!!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal