Author Topic: Desk Draws, an alternate use?  (Read 916 times)

Cuke

• Half Acre
  • Abbeymead, Gloucester
    • Growing Our Own
Desk Draws, an alternate use?
« on: January 25, 2008, 10:18:30 »
The office where Melanie (the more attractive one in my pic) works is undergoing a refurb and throwing all their old desk out. It suddenly occured to me that desk draws could make good seed trays, in fact bits of desk could potentially come in handy for various things down the plot.

So, I was just wondering if I'm missing some obvious reason for not pilfering bits and bobs if I can? Would wood like that release nasty stuff when wet, that kind of thing?
Our little corner of the blogging world http://www.growingourown.co.uk

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Desk Draws, an alternate use?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 10:56:39 »
Would wood like that release nasty stuff when wet,

Not if it is wood. But be careful they might be made off 'chipboard' which doesn't last so well after it gets wet.

Another thing is don't over fill them, the bottom are generally made of 'interior ply' which softens a little when wet and you find the bottom sags.

This is not a problem in its self but once it sags the edges can extract themselves from the rebate in the drawer sides and you can end up lifting only the sides. Or worse still ; if it decides to come out when you are carrying a full box (drawer)of plants.

Go for it but let me say ;  you have been warned. 8)

Cuke

• Half Acre
  • Abbeymead, Gloucester
    • Growing Our Own
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008, 11:01:34 »
Hmmmm good point, I'd imagine (having not seen them myself) that it's chipboard coated with wood effect stuff like most office desks. So probably wouldn't take too long to get a bit icky with the wet.

I'd not thought about the bottoms, you're right, would probably rot through pretty quickly...

lol all in all not the best of my ideas... I've just caught the 'build-it-yourself' bug now and don't like seeing things go to waste like that... :)
Our little corner of the blogging world http://www.growingourown.co.uk

VP

• Quarter Acre
  • Get me out of here!
    • Vegplotting
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2008, 11:53:18 »
I've used some to make a cold frame. Should be OK for a couple of years yet.

Or how about using them to store crops in?
Best wishes,

VP
---------------------------------------------
http://vegplotting.blogspot.com

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2008, 12:51:01 »
Similar decision to make. I've several wooden wine cases from various sources - probably pine - that don't appear to have been treated, but are rather too high for seed trays.

Thinking of running the circular saw over them to get trays of a sensible height for seed or storage trays and then using the squarish offcuts as frames for a bit of "approximately square foot gardening",  but do storage trays have slats in the bottom or are flat bottoms ok?

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2008, 14:33:58 »
I took the bottoms out and used them as raised type beds to grow herbs in..................has kept my mint contained! ;D
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

DeeBee

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2008, 18:43:35 »
I used some wooden desk drawers for storage (my JAs have kept solid all winter in a wooden drawer topped up with used grow bag). I combine the drawers with shredded paper for chitting spuds, another drawer has all my labels and seeds in it and another is full  of onions. I now see anything lying around/unwanted as potential lottie project! ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal