Author Topic: our eggs  (Read 4439 times)

paulinems

• Half Acre
    • The fly trap plants
our eggs
« on: January 20, 2008, 18:01:28 »
Was really surprised today ,we got 6 eggs from the older girls and 5 out of the new ones, and one of them was Blossoms ,our baby that we hatched last year. she was sitting in nest box and didn't half made a din when I went in to clean the floor. So that was 11 eggs altogether wasn't that good nearly half of my girls had laid today.still none from the Wyandottes though they were huddled under nest box  while others were playing in the wind!thats the most we have had for ages
 :D :D :D
Pauline

GodfreyRob

• Acre
  • Good Boy!
    • The VGA Live!
Re: our eggs
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 09:01:04 »
Its a great feeling when your hens start laying!
Congrats to you. Any pics of the hens/eggs?
Software for Vegetable Growers:
The VGA Live!

Rosyred

• Hectare
  • West London
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 09:26:19 »
Same here I was over the moon yesterday to find my first blue egg from our crested cream legbar. My white leghorn started two week ago so they are all coming along now.

paulinems

• Half Acre
    • The fly trap plants
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 16:16:38 »
only 10 eggs  today but we did leave a bit early,was so wet and windy,have changed our food we give them , was using the smallholders one ,but changed to dobsons,think that's what its called,will take photo of eggs and hens, others are on my picture trail but not new ones, forgot to take camera today so will do it tomorrow and put them on the picture trail site with others
Pauline :D

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 16:24:59 »
wow, what on earth are you going to do with all those eggs :)

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2008, 17:49:32 »
If you make cakes and meringues with them will you be inviting guests (ie well meaning A4A members) to tea??  ;D

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2008, 17:55:27 »
cool all around your place then :)

paulinems

• Half Acre
    • The fly trap plants
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2008, 20:40:58 »
theres a huge demand for them, hubby complaind the otherday cause he wanted boiled eggs for tea and all his mates wanted them so have to make sure i have some left  ;D ;D ;D
Pauline

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2008, 20:46:57 »
wow, what on earth are you going to do with all those eggs :)

I sell my surplus for £1.40 per dozen and only promise 2 people eggs regularly. The price will rise as the hen food price rises. As I get up to 12 daily from my 12 hens, they are usually laid one day and surplus sold at work the next. Bet you are well pleased with your choice of Blackrocks. I was with mine.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

paulinems

• Half Acre
    • The fly trap plants
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2008, 23:39:26 »
O, i been selling a bit cheap then i sell mine for £1 doz, no wonder every one complains when girls dont lay ;D Yes i am realy pleased with them think i should have got more then 6  though might go back and get some more later, still not getting any of the whydottes and the cream legbar though, but my baby that we hatched last year has started laying,she was in nestbox yesterdayand didnt half make a din when i wanted to clean shed :D
Pauline

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2008, 23:54:07 »
O, i been selling a bit cheap then i sell mine for £1 doz,

I probably won't recover money paid for hens. (about £70). But it covers feeding and bedding costs. I get my eggs and break even for the rest. Also buys a new feeder from time to time.

GodfreyRob

• Acre
  • Good Boy!
    • The VGA Live!
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2008, 16:03:06 »
Well a nice surprise today - 1 got 2 Cream Legbars last March and they laid until June and then stopped. They have always looked very healthy but not a single egg have they laid between them - until this afternoon!

Went to collect the eggs and sat in the nest box is a lovely bright blue egg!

I had threatened to have them killed many times but of course did not have the heart to do it myself. As they have been eating organic pellets for the last 6 months this single egg has probably cost me about £50!

The big egg in the top left is a 90gm from one of my Blue Belles - they have been the star layers this winter - big eggs every day.
Software for Vegetable Growers:
The VGA Live!

paulinems

• Half Acre
    • The fly trap plants
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2008, 17:39:58 »
thats great, i am still waiting for my creamlegbar to lay yet. only got 2 from new girls today 10 altogether with the others though ,forgot to take my camera again will try to remember tomorrow
Pauline

Thegoodlife

• Half Acre
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2008, 21:52:34 »
i only got 8 eggs from 22 hens today ??? but they are moulting & having a good game of football in there run
today i will be growin veg!!

paulinems

• Half Acre
    • The fly trap plants
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2008, 17:53:15 »
was good today got 13 eggs would you believe, 4 of them from black rocks and blossom rest from the older girls  dont suppose 13 out of 23 hens is to bad, ;D ;D
Pauline

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2008, 20:38:55 »
  dont suppose 13 out of 23 hens is to bad,

Not bad considering some hens are still settling in, and the time of year.

paulinems

• Half Acre
    • The fly trap plants
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2008, 15:17:45 »
Well with all this wind we are now getting, been gale force on our field, girls have gone from 12 eggs on Wed to 6/7 last 2 days
Pauline :o

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2008, 18:48:02 »
I have got 9 speckledy hens just coming in to 2ND years laying after moult.
Real mixed bag of 11 banties various colours Theses are kept as they are real good mothers if  I want any eggs sitting ..4 pure Welsummers which a bantie sat from eggs given to me last spring and they turned out to be all pullets ..
7 mongrel pullets, mothers were banties father is rosecomb x rhodie thingy which runs with banties... so all in all a real mixed bag..
At the moment I am getting about 10 to 14 eggs a day ...which turn out to be a mixed bag too in colours and size etc ... :)

can you spot the Welsummer eggs?

Cheers .. Jim

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2008, 14:42:49 »
Not knowing anything about chicken varieties - which type lay the dark brown ones.

I used to have French cuckoo marans and they were good on brown eggs but yours are much darker.

Enlighten me please!!  I HOPE that the council are going to allow me to have chickens on a spare bit of ground at my allotment - I have applied and now I have to wait for a meeting which is not going to happen until March 20th'ish!

As I have upset them in the past with my polytunnel - I think they are going to try to make me jump through hoops - sorry  how high did you say!!

Wish me luck

Old Bird!

;D

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2008, 13:30:27 »
Hi ob,
Its the welsummers that are laying the dark brown eggs,,Some are speckled too
With really darker spots ,,Good luck with the council ,Hope it goes ok for you .
Cheers .. Jim

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal