Author Topic: How to Increase amount of topsoil  (Read 799 times)

Producer

• Quarter Acre
How to Increase amount of topsoil
« on: January 20, 2008, 16:22:28 »
Hi all, so Im slowly clearing my allotment of litter and weeds - lots of glass and litter means that some of the soil is getting removed.  My question is where do you get topsoil from i.e. if your doing raised beds or simply want to add to level beds.  If you just add compost will this effectievly increase your soil, or do you actually buy topsoil?  Probably a stupid question again.  Cheers.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
Re: How to Increase amount of topsoil
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 16:36:34 »
Compost will eventually raise soil level. If you are doing raised beds - use a little of the soil from the top of paths. I don't use raised beds and I have seen my bed levels rise gradually over the years.

If you are worried about ground nutrients - put extra compost around the individual plants in a small mole hill type shape so that it gets extra feed. You can also shake some compost down throughout growing season if you are concerned. It will get washed into the ground with the rain. It will be fine ;)
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

steveuk

• Half Acre
  • Good map point is on my patch
    • My Allotment Patch
Re: How to Increase amount of topsoil
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 16:55:43 »
I have raised beds and normal levels, in my raised beds i have put manure on top of soil, and to make them up i have added soil from my local council site, its £1.00 bag its just a improver, not much neutrinos but it works in with the soil, and compost. so i have managed not to take to much of the rest of plot.

mine is Farley new
and i basically do what Kt Lawson dose, but then this will be my 2ND year, but its as a organised plot.
If i knew were to start i would LoL
http://mypatch-steve.blogspot.com/

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal