Author Topic: SPAM email via A4A  (Read 5345 times)

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
Re: SPAM email via A4A
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2008, 17:53:54 »
You can check when a person last logged in. I've just clicked on a name in the upcoming birthdays - last logged in in 2005!
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2008, 20:17:56 »
mine too
The Tuscan Beaneater

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2008, 20:34:15 »
One reason I asked about a 'Spring-clean' was to see how people felt about it. Although some join, never to return, I suppose there are some who actually do visit to make notes on the current gardening 'Do's & Don'ts' and it's not really a problem having people not return. Removing them isn't going to solve anything and once registered, people can't actually un-register, so there name just sits there.
 I was more thinking on the lines of trying to seperate those who join and run away as against those who join, copy addy's and pester members with spoof mail. I think today was a good example. I'm pretty certain who sent those spoofs to members. If that could be proven then that individual could be removed. It would mean him registering again and if his Email address could have been tagged, he could have been blocked.

Dan is aware of this problem and has on occasion put his World Wide Boxing gloves and his IT boots on to stomp on it. Can't catch all the villians, tho' eh?

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2008, 20:39:11 »

One thing I do have from running my forum over the years is a huge list of email adds these spammers use which has cut our spam by over 90% if the Admin here wants to add them to the forums ban filters he's welcome to them.

I don't think the site has a  big enough problem to go that far as yet, Mick, although Dan will know better than I do about that. Let's hope it stays at a low level.
Ta! Ken.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2008, 20:54:34 »
Now removed all my info and live on the moors in the middle of nowhere in the yorkshire dales. Not a building around as far as the eye can see. Sad state of affairs to go through to avoid getting some email. :(
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2008, 21:01:42 »
Sounds like you live in my old house, KT... :)

gingerninja38

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2008, 23:50:45 »
i rarely post here, but read up at least once a week. i don't really know much about growing as i'm still a newbie! just a post from the other side.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2008, 00:07:58 »
Nice to hear from you G'.
 Don't hold back from posting where you think fit. We're not a bad lot at heart...  :) and don't worry that people won't help out with any sort of questions you have about growing almost anything. Even the oldies and long term gardeners here have questions! Many window-sill growers started here and are now looking for or have allotments!
 Any questions you have, ask away.
Ken.

gingerninja38

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2008, 01:43:54 »
i've had my allotment for about 18 months, but i was 7 months pregnant when i got is so only really started working on it in the last 6-8 months or so. mainly clearing rubbish (well 4 skips so far, only another 4 to go!!)

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2008, 02:48:36 »
How do I get rid of the map on my profile altogether?
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2008, 03:01:18 »
Go to your profile then 'Forum Profile Information' left click on the red balloon to remove it, save the changes & the map should be gone.

Admin aka Dan

• Administrator
  • Hectare
    • Allotments 4 All
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2008, 11:51:35 »
Hi,

Remember people can only see your email address in your profile if you have allowed it, and they are logged in.  Visitors can not see email addresses.

People do indeed look through forums tryng to find email addresses, I suppose it is no different to using a telephone book to find your physical address, hide your email address and you are ex-directory :)

With regards to the maps, I have mine at the allotment (don't go and have a look, it is a terrible state at the moment!).  You could just have it on your town, it is quite interesting to see where members come from.

Cheers

Dan

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2008, 12:14:36 »
Having a memory like a sieve I keep forgetting where I am, so I really appreciate the map.  :D

CoffeePot

• Not So New ...
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2008, 13:12:11 »
I don't post often, so don't log-in when I come in for a little read, maybe I should. I do have my email hidden on here though which is good.
Makes you wonder about these people doesn't it.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2008, 13:16:01 »
Dan, is there a spot somewhere were we could see new members for maybe a week or two, rather than be just on the members list. I was very surprised to receive a seed request from someone I had not heard of, when I looked on the profile the person had joined 20 minutes earler and had made no posts,nor have they since by the way. I would be uncomfortable sending my address to someone in those circumsatnces , and I usually  put a return address on seeds I send out.

A new members  spot would also give us the chance to send them a welcoming message.

Just a thought.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2008, 21:54:39 »
spam started here..nationwide buiding society has a special relationship with us..even though we don't bank with them...morons  ::) ;D

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2008, 22:21:51 »
Dan, is there a spot somewhere were we could see new members for maybe a week or two, rather than be just on the members list. I was very surprised to receive a seed request from someone I had not heard of, when I looked on the profile the person had joined 20 minutes earler and had made no posts,nor have they since by the way. I would be uncomfortable sending my address to someone in those circumsatnces , and I usually  put a return address on seeds I send out.

A new members  spot would also give us the chance to send them a welcoming message.

Just a thought.

XX Jeannine

Seems you did exactly the right thing, Jeannine by checking him out. It's something we all should do if we get such mail.
 Spoof mails belong in the bin. So just dump them! There's no such thing as a 100% secure web site unless you make it so difficult for people to join they simply don't bother.
 This guy has wasted more our time on here than any damage his mail has done. Pointing the scam out once is fine to warn those who aren't so aware, but then I suggest after that, we just dump it and get on with A4A'ing. No doubt he's laughing his socks off at the time we're all spending on this.

Ken.

Shelle

• Not So New ...
  • Cramlington, Northumberland
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2008, 21:26:11 »
Thanks for the alert re email addresses.  Like many others, I had mine open to the public, now changed.

We have such a good forum community that I would hate spammers and other bad users to spoil it for us.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2008, 20:32:34 »
I took mine off ages ago and like Dan and Cam my balloons pointing at my allotment, might go and check out Dans lottie just to see how bad it is.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2008, 20:52:27 »
Eerrmm....Not a good idea, unless you have a JCB.
He's stuck at the back of the shed. Can't get his wellies free of the mud. I have to post sarnies to him every other day..... ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal