Author Topic: 'Seasons' in London town  (Read 1794 times)

Rob08

• Acre
    • One Voice in Cyberspace
'Seasons' in London town
« on: January 13, 2008, 14:53:21 »
Just a quick question - when (more or less) do the seasons start in London?

How would you define spring/summer start in particular?

Just given the differences between London and Dublin it might help for planning purposes.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
Re: 'Seasons' in London town
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 15:15:55 »
When you say "London", its a big place! There will be differences in temperature all over.
I live just north of London on Essex/Herts border in an exposed spot in the Lea Valley. The wind sweeps down, the frosts roll down and the water collects - so in winter it can be pretty cold. In summer, there is less rain than the surrounding area, and the sun bakes the heavy clay to something resembling concrete. Some years, frosts have been as late as second week in June.
Relatives and friends who live in London Boroughs such as Enfield, Waltham Forest and Redbridge seem the be able to put tender plants out at least 4 weeks earlier than me. Particularly where they are in a built up area - one is able to leave pelargoniums out all year round, albeit in a sheltered spot, mine die and rot away.

Rob08

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 15:23:42 »
When you say "London", its a big place! There will be differences in temperature all over.
I live just north of London on Essex/Herts border in an exposed spot in the Lea Valley. The wind sweeps down, the frosts roll down and the water collects - so in winter it can be pretty cold. In summer, there is less rain than the surrounding area, and the sun bakes the heavy clay to something resembling concrete. Some years, frosts have been as late as second week in June.
Relatives and friends who live in London Boroughs such as Enfield, Waltham Forest and Redbridge seem the be able to put tender plants out at least 4 weeks earlier than me. Particularly where they are in a built up area - one is able to leave pelargoniums out all year round, albeit in a sheltered spot, mine die and rot away.

This is useful info - thanks!  It seems the climate can be on a par with Dublin really (we have the moderating effect of the Gulf Stream here).

Will have to check it out when I get there I guess.  Pray for a good growing season this year...

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2008, 22:37:56 »
Rob, if you know what area you're likely to move to, why not get on to the Metcheck website and type in a postcode from that area, then you can see what's happening and compare. It won't be perfect of course, and very general, but it might help. And when you arrive, let us Londoners know - there might be one of us just round the corner...

Rob? ROB? Why are you cancelling the removal van?

;D
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2008, 22:45:24 »
Temperatures in London are often 2-3 degrees warmer than just outside the city, simply because of the built-up area effects (it is huge compared to Dublin). Similarly, as jennym says, frosts and snow are less common and the last will be earlier. However, and again as Jenny points out, the sheer scale of the place means that your personal microclimate may be very different from other Londoners'; London has many hills and valleys and is thus variously exposed to wind and variations in temperature. Probably not as wet as Dublin either if I remember rightly  :D
For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else.

http://www.plotholes.blogspot.com

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2008, 17:24:44 »
Jenny, am I one of them friends in Enfield.   :-\   ???   :-*      ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2008, 17:42:43 »
Awww cornykev! 'course you are. But my grandma brought up 14 kids in Ponders End, and so I've got a lot of relatives there.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 18:21:26 by jennym »

Rob08

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2008, 18:38:48 »
Rob, if you know what area you're likely to move to, why not get on to the Metcheck website and type in a postcode from that area, then you can see what's happening and compare. It won't be perfect of course, and very general, but it might help. And when you arrive, let us Londoners know - there might be one of us just round the corner...

Rob? ROB? Why are you cancelling the removal van?

;D

Aah that made me laugh, thanks!

Can't wait to see the lay of the land once I get there - realised this afternoon am only 3 weeks away now...better get packing.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal