Author Topic: Turning an old cast iron bath into a thing of beauty - tips please  (Read 2192 times)

greenstar

• Half Acre
  • Glasgow
As I've said somewhere else on here, all being well we will be taking over a full plot within the next couple of weeks.  On said plot there is a huge cast iron bath that at present is just sitting there full of water.  I'd like to make a feature of it and hopefully attract some wild life, especially frogs, to it.

Couple of questions about this: do I leave the water in that's already in it?  What can I plant in there and is there any where on the net that sells pond plants?  I'd like some thing that spills over the sides a bit a) to disguise it and b) to provide shelter and a ladder for frogs - is this a realistic option?  Or should I give up and get rid of it?  Sinking it isn't currently an option as it really is massive - about 8' long by 3' wide by 4' high.  I really don't have time to dig a hole that big or to fish the kids out every two minutes!

Oh, and I've been looking at those solar powered fountain thingies - do they work and are they worth it?

Sorry - that was way more than a couple of questions  ::)

Thank you all you pondtastic people  ;)

legendaryone

• Hectare
Re: Turning an old cast iron bath into a thing of beauty - tips please
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 21:30:19 »
I have a bath on my plot which i didn't dig a hole for as i didn't want anyone to fall in it. I put loads of soil around it and planted a packet of old meadow flowers around it. To stop the soil from spreading i made a border of logs around the bath. I only did it last year so it hasn't matured but it is teaming with life. My only problem is i was given some pond wees which must have had fish eggs on it as i know have lots of tiny fish which i fear will eat my frogspawn next year.
If the water has life in it and doesn't smell i would leave it in.
To help my frogs get in and out the bath i made a tube out of chicken wire which i stood in the bath next to the taps and filled it with stones, this provides a hiding places for the tadpoles and frogs and worked better than i expected.

All those who believe in Telekinesis, Raise my hand.

elsie

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 22:14:04 »
Ooooohhhh, any chance of a picture please  :)
I've been trying to figure out ways of stopping my kids falling into a pond, never thought of not burying the bath!  ::)

legendaryone

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 23:04:04 »
Here is a pic of the bath, as you can see the soil doesn't go all the way to the top because i ran out, i shall adding more in the spring. At the back you can see the pebbles in the chicken wire in front of the taps and the logs around the edge of the soil. Eventually the banks will be built up and wild flowers will pushing up through the grass on the banks.
I have a small grandchild and even though it still poses a danger he is not going to just run and fall in (hopefully) And when it's grassed we will be able to lie down and look in the pond which is better than peering over a sunken bath/pond.

Oops forgot the pic :-[

« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 23:08:27 by legendaryone »
All those who believe in Telekinesis, Raise my hand.

elsie

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 23:16:12 »
Thanks for the picture, great idea, look forward to another one with all the flowers in  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal