Author Topic: Broad Beans arn't very happy  (Read 5415 times)

Magnolia

• Half Acre
Broad Beans arn't very happy
« on: December 13, 2007, 16:08:04 »
Hi, I'm new to all this.  I planted broad beans mid october.  They grew to about 18inches under a mini plastic greenhouse.   And seemed to be doing quite well until a particularly bad frost last night.

They're now limp and have fallen over.  What happened?

I have some more planted later in November that are under a mini polytunnel but are getting too big for this - any ideas on how I can prevent them from suffering the same fate as the previous beans.

I have some more that were sown even later under fleece and they've only just started to poke through the soil.  I'm hoping these wil be ok too.
Advice appreciated.
Jane

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
Re: Broad Beans arn't very happy
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 16:13:39 »
The last two mornings I have seen my broad beans collapsed and wilted too. But they are pretty hardy, as soon as the sun came out they perked up.

I have no protection on mine at all. I think its probably better not to protect them, but because you have started you may need to continue. Maybe once the tallest ones have thawed out you could stake them up?

I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2007, 16:38:00 »
You should be aware that not all varieties are suitable for over-wintering. Those that are don't need protection. Those that aren't will suffer.

adrianhumph

• Acre
  • Camberley, Surrey.
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2007, 16:40:06 »
 Hi magnolia,  :D
                         Your broad beans have been cosseted tooooo much by you ::) Assuming you have sown aquadulce claudia or another suitable overwintering broad bean,
they do not need any protection & will look after themselves through the winter. The late planted ones should be fine & will only grow to 4or 6 inches & then take off quickly in the spring when things warm up. The early ones are far too advanced at 18inches tall, they may survive but strong winds may play havoc with them so, as staking may not be possible (if you have got a lot) bang in a 3 foot high stake at each corner of the row & tie around this some string to support the beans. So whip those covers off now :o
                                              Adrian.

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2007, 16:45:05 »
Rather than whipping them off now, I would wait until next week when the frost weather is due to abate.  It migh be a bit to much of a shock to your cossetted broadies to expose them now.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2007, 17:00:41 »
< thinks 'cossetted broadies' sounds vaguely mucky without knowing why>

tuinman

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2007, 17:15:16 »
Over wintering broad beans "what a waste of time", plenty of better things you could do. I plant in spring and get a great crop every year.  ??? ;)

Magnolia

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2007, 17:23:28 »
Thanks everyone.  Yes they are overwintering beans!! 

I only have 7 plants that have wilted so no great shame.  Just a bit sad when you've been nuturing them and then they keel over.  I don't have an allotment yet only my garden plot.  Waiting list is 18mnths. 

My onions and garlic are doing well mind. 

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2007, 17:26:01 »
My overwintering ones were brilliant this year.  My spring sown were a near complete wash out.  I still do both.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2007, 17:42:09 »
"what a waste of time"

How can it be a waste of time? Same amount of work, earlier beans.

My late October sown broad beans should crop early - mid May to be followed by early Jan sowings to crop in June followed by late Feb sowing to crop in July.

The beans do all the work. I just plant them.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2007, 17:46:35 »
my self sown broad beans ( no idea what variaty ) are looking ok, a few have bits that are a little wilted but they seam to be happy enough. I took a photo and will try and get it off my phone tonight.

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2007, 19:38:40 »
We usually sow our broad beans in Spring (well early in the New Year).  We usually grow Imperial and/or Masterpiece Green Longpod.  These varieties produce long pods with lots of lovely small green beans

Could I just ask a question?  What varieties of broad beans most people grow?

I look at the pods for sale in supermarkets/greengrocers, and I wouldn't give a thankyou for them.  The beans are really tough, and need 'skinning', whereas the varieties we grow, if picked when the beans are no bigger than thumbnail size, are sweet wonderfully flavoured and tender, and don't need skinning.

valmarg

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2007, 19:55:36 »
I think the ones I use to be force fed to eat when young were greyish in colour and tough. That's what has put me off them all my life. My lottie neighbour John is growing some for me and we are going to taste them (cooked) at the lottie next year. He is convinced I will like them  :-X
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2007, 19:56:41 »
Oh I forgot to say....

Magnolia welcome to A4A and good luck with your broadies  :)
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

Rob the rake

• Half Acre
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2007, 20:37:52 »
I managed to get some Red Windsor seed for growing in the spring. Has anyone grown these before? I can't see them in any of the current catalogues. I got them at the local boot sale as end of date stock, part of a haul of 100 packets of seeds for 4 quid. Result! ;D

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2007, 22:01:05 »
I've never heard of them, and I'm a sucker for strange varieties. You must let us know how they go!
For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else.

http://www.plotholes.blogspot.com

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2007, 22:33:36 »
I've only grown Aquadulce Claudia until this year. I planted 40 seeds of crimson-Flowered, deliberately putting them in late so as to avoid cross-pollination. They flowered during the worst of the weather, and the crop consisted of 20 beans, which I'll be planting in the spring.

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2007, 16:11:19 »
I don`t think sowing hardy beans like Claudia Aquadulce is a waste of time.They might not have the flavour of some other less hardy spring sown varieties but they crop early and are better than nothing.

real food

• Acre
    • Growing Your Own fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2007, 20:06:21 »
Possibly the biggest problem in sowing broad beans in the Autumn, is to stop the mice eating them before they get going. My neighbour sowed broad beans and has a nice row of little holes in the ground where the mice have dug out the beans!
Does anyone have success with soaking the beans in parafin before planting them, to stop the mice eating them?
See the quick guide to Growing, Storing, and the Healthy Cooking, of your own Fruit and Vegetables at www.growingyourown.info

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2007, 20:23:31 »
Yes, paraffin is an answer. I believe that late Autumn planting is not beneficial in many parts.
Spring plants catch up to a degree.
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal