Author Topic: lavender cuttings  (Read 2634 times)

georgiesgirl

• Quarter Acre
  • I love Allotments 4 All
lavender cuttings
« on: July 03, 2004, 10:41:35 »
Hi all.
Wanting to take lavender cuttings, is this the right time to be doing this?
Any advice will be gratefully accepted.
thanks
Anne

Palustris

• Hectare
Re:lavender cuttings
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2004, 11:55:06 »
Almost any time of the warmer (ha!) months is ok for taking Lavender cuttings. BUT, you need to find pieces which are not going to flower and at his time that may be difficult. There wil be much more choice of material available after the plants have finished flowering and are making new growth when you prune them back. Give it a try, at least you will have time to try again if it does not succeed!
Gardening is the great leveller.

Plocket

• Hectare
  • Clematis Crystal Fountain
    • Plocket's Clematis Site
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2004, 15:29:36 »
Palustris said it all! Good luck!
The tree which moves some to tears of joy is in the eyes of others only a green thing which stands in the way... (William Blake)

Lady Cosmos

• Acre
  • Lady of the dunes
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2004, 18:16:53 »

In July I take cuttings of non-flowering shoots, about 10cm, ad put them in a compost and sand mix. Put some in my coldframe, and the rest in a shady place in the garden because I always take to many. Both do well with me. In spring I transplant them to a sunny position. Last year I found hundred of seedlings under one of my lavender plantsand now they are in bloom. ;D ;D
« Last Edit: July 08, 2004, 13:16:14 by Lady Cosmos »

William O

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2004, 20:24:16 »
Hello Lady Cosmos,

If you want to get a lot of cuttings there is also a less refined approach. It's a type of layering. It's best done in spring. This is the procedure.

• You take an old plant that has gone a bit woody.  
  • You dig it up with as much roots as possible.
  • You dig a hole big and deep enough to almost bury the plant.
  • You put the plant in deep having not much more than say 20 cm of the twigs /branches above the ground.
  • You fill up the hole and all the space between the old branches below ground level.
  • Next spring you dig up the plant and divide it into separate plants.
If all has gone well new roots will have grown out of the old woody twigs. It's a rather simple approach for getting large numbers of cuttings. What I've done this year is not to bury the plant, but to fill it up between the old twigs above ground.
Happy Gardening

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal