Author Topic: white ashy stuff  (Read 1372 times)

Fran

• Not So New ...
white ashy stuff
« on: November 25, 2007, 21:47:12 »
Does anyone know what the white stuff that looks like ash is just under the soil, particularly near roots when I pull up weeds.  I am assuming it is to do with some sort of pest?
Thanks

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
Re: white ashy stuff
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007, 10:51:46 »
I to have got this ???.

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2007, 11:53:57 »
Look very closely at the stuff. If it is root aphid then you can just about see the insects hiding in the waxy covereing they secrete to protect themselves. Not much you can do in the garden, but a systemic insecticide wioll help in pots. If no insects then it is probably just fungus roots and usually harmless.
Gardening is the great leveller.

ipt8

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007, 21:01:40 »
If whatever plants or vegetation that are growing in this stuff are OK then my guess is its mycelium, or fungus that roots need to work well. If so its a good sign of a healthy soil. I think the word I am looking for is a good symbiotic relationship :-\
Another thing it could be is the site of a very old bonfire, and it is ash remains. That would still not be a problem I think.

Fran

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2007, 23:13:15 »
I feel quite relieved now! It doesn't sound like its anything to worry about.  This year what with blight, mildew, various ravaging beetles and flies, and recently rats who have polished off the beetroot and carrots in the ground and the squashes stored in the greenhouse -  I was beginning to think the gardening fairy didn't like me!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal