Author Topic: Found a tiny burrow!!  (Read 1865 times)

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
Found a tiny burrow!!
« on: November 19, 2007, 15:51:29 »
Down the lottie, on the weekend when I made a big wire container to make some leaf mold, i raked up a bit of dried grass etc that was lying over a piece of wood that was separating two beds. The children noticed that this wood (which has holes in the middle) looked hollow underneath. So I lifted it up a little and it looked as if something has dug little tunnels underneath it, a few centimetres deep and away under some more wood.
I figured there might be something hibernating under there...what? A field mouse? a vole? I saw one or two tiny mice over the year, maybe it is the same one?
In any case I put back the dried grass etc that had been covering it in case that was its "winter quilt" and even put a bit more leaf etc around the area to insulate it. It is amazing what life grows in a veg garden. isn't it?
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
Re: Found a tiny burrow!!
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007, 17:40:27 »
it certainly is - personally I like to live with whatever wildlife my plots attract, I make a contract with them, whispered here and there  ;D and I also like to leave a few areas that can be used for any wildlife that comes my way - it might be simple and naive but it is gentle and I believe that kind of harmony pays dividends  :)

Rob08

• Acre
    • One Voice in Cyberspace
Re: Found a tiny burrow!!
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2007, 12:49:14 »
it certainly is - personally I like to live with whatever wildlife my plots attract, I make a contract with them, whispered here and there  ;D and I also like to leave a few areas that can be used for any wildlife that comes my way - it might be simple and naive but it is gentle and I believe that kind of harmony pays dividends  :)

There is no reason that grower and wildlife cannot live in peace.  I guess we have to decide what losses are acceptable and they have to accept that there is a limit to their depradations.  Hopefully a happy balance can be found then.

I do hope I can draw some wildlife to my plot and am doing some research to this effect.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal