Author Topic: Which Parsnips ?  (Read 1757 times)

Lindsay

• Acre
  • Near Avignon, France
Which Parsnips ?
« on: October 21, 2007, 20:15:14 »
I haven't grown parsnips before - and am not even sure that I could be successful down here in southern France, as I guess they need a fair bit of water!  But they are my favourite winter veg - and they cost a small fortune in the shops - so I reckon it is worth a go next year. Especially now that there is one part of my plot that gets more water than the rest. Carrots grew - why not parsnips?!

Can anyone recommend a variety of parsnip that would survive a "drier" summer than usual? And where I could get the seeds from? Never even seen a packet of parsnip seeds here!!

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Which Parsnips ?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2007, 20:34:59 »
I can't remember the name, I've just ordered some seeds for a friend from kings seeds, they are slightly drought resistant, I can find out on wednesday, if it helps  :)

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2007, 20:37:44 »
Tender and True are supposed to be good, I grew them this year. As for water.....when they have germinated, can take ages. You could mulch with a thin layer of grass clippings adding a bit more clippings each week for a few weeks. Also if you grow them in the shade of a taller crop, like corn, it might help.

Just a thought
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2007, 21:06:40 »
If anyone remembers last year...no rain and scorching hot summer with 30 degrees of heat on consecutive days.....I dind't water my parsnips once on a fairly exposed and well drained soil. It didn't seem to affect the yield at all. I grew Lancer, Countess and Gladiator. Parsnips are a favorite in the family and I am having to grow plenty.

Lindsay

• Acre
  • Near Avignon, France
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2007, 07:39:09 »
Manics - yes please, I've looked at the Kings website but it isn't obvious which one is more drought resistant.  Star - I will remember the mulching, and in the shade of something else seems a good idea.

I'll try and get hold of some you recommend Suzanne - sounds like similar weather conditions, although I would probably have to water them!

Thanks for the help!  :D

sawfish

• Hectare
  • glasgow dreamer
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2007, 03:08:41 »
I had a nightmare getting them started this year and ended up mixing 3 different varieties together and broadcasting the lot over my allotted parsnip patch. It worked great giving me 3 times as much chance of getting at least one variety.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2007, 20:39:49 »
Manics - yes please, I've looked at the Kings website but it isn't obvious which one is more drought resistant. 
Thanks for the help!  :D
sorry, Lindsay, having a 'senior' moment there, it was melon seeds for drought resistant
the parsnip seeds were disease resistant, countess F1..no 13414
canker resistant were avonresistor no 13401
sorry about that, m

springs

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2007, 21:18:20 »

Hi  Lindsay  I grow white gem no problem with drought last year even in all that heat. To germinate easy i put them in a plastic bag with a hand full of compost when shoots show i make a drill water it first and put the seeds in.
I use marshall seeds if you have any problems send me an email and will post you a packet.

Lindsay

• Acre
  • Near Avignon, France
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2007, 08:22:40 »
Ah, thanks everyone - you are all so kind and helpful!

I've finally found Graines Baumaux in France who sell Gladiator and Lancer parsnip seeds so will order some from them and see how I get on.  I'd heard that germination is difficult, so thanks for the tip Springs.  If I have a problem getting seeds though I'll contact you, thanks for the offer!

A "Senior" moment M? That happens at every age!  ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal