Produce > Ponds 'n' Stuff

This really isn't funny anymore!

<< < (2/3) > >>

Margaret:
Hi Tony.How long since you stopped feeding the fish? The reason I ask is that once you have rinsed out your sponges after you have stopped feeding,you should not need to do it again unless you have a lot of   bits blocking the flow.The level of activity with the bacteria will slow right down when there is no fish waste being produced.Ammonia levels are highest in the early days when you first get the filter and the fish,and too high levels are lethal to fish.But you did all the right things with the filter start.Ph.is not that important,as fish adapt.My ph is high as I have such hard water but I doubt this is the reason.You are supposed to only wash out one filter mat,or half the sponges at a time,and then alternate.Yes, leave the bottom section of your filter,this is where the really beneficial bacteria lives.Have you had any further problems,and did you check for sharp edges? I have found that the pots can sometimes split and cause very sharp edges which could cause damage.

Anthony:
Hi Maggie, :)

I stopped feeding regularly a couple of weeks ago but I must admit that I have thrown in the odd wheatgerm stick since.  (normally when the fish have been near the top and I assumed looking for food!)  This again puzzled me because those fish in the top section happily took the food whereas those in the bottom left it and thus I fished it out!

I did check for sharp objects and the only thing I think it could be is the plastic container I use for the lilies.  I have a similar container in the top section and by law of averages if the containers where causing the injuries then some from the top would be having the same problems.

I don't think I have any more problems at present - You'll be first to know if I do!  :D  I'm still to "Attack" the Parrots Feather and was thinking of doing it this weekend!  Am I best just lopping the tops off so that it is below the water level?

thanks again

tony

Margaret:
Hi Tony.Re the parrots feather,I would trim about halfway down the stem,otherwise it will go mad next year.You want as much of the old growth off as poss,but allowing it to regrow next spring.Did you realise that it will grow just as well completely submerged,and looks quite different under water.  I wonder,do your orfe barge the smaller fish in the bottom pond? It may be making them nervous and more liable to be forced into the rough edges of a pot.There has to be something different about the bottom section,and that is the only difference,isn't it?

Dusty:
Hi - have just come into this message and so presumably you have both had previous conversations as Maggie you seem to know more about the fish than Anthony gives info on here.  so I am probably totally wrong but just thought I would suggest - can cats get them in the bottom section or what about those beetles that were mentioned on another message.  is there anything that the water flows over into the bottom pond ie rocks, stones that might be leeching something that does not show up in the normal water readings.  I know pet shops/acquatic shops near me will check a number of readings and perhaps they will be able to detect if there is anything in the water that the ph, nitrite, ammonia etc tests do not show up.

Failing that Anthony - I found a site, which I know Maggie has visited, they were very helpful with me and a lot of people on the site are, like Maggie, very knowlegable.  There is also a large section on diseases and a help desk.  if you have not visited before - try in your search engine KoKo's fish.

Hope you get things sorted soon.

Anthony:
Thanks once again for the replies!  The bottom section is fed via a series of waterfalls inwhich there are  pebbles/gravel!  I did wash all of these before putting them in but I guess something could have got on there.  I think as you suggested I may just take a water sample to the local aqautics centre and see what they think!

Maggie - The Orfe although still very lively are not much bigger than the other fish so I don't think they could be shoving the others around.  As mentioned earlier I was thinking of relocating the 5 goldfish/comets from the bottom into the top with the other goldies/shubs etc.  The fish in the top seem much much happier in general :)  This however, will create the problem of only having 5 Orfe in the bottom and it looking a bit empty!  But I guess that can be addressed with a couple of additions next spring if necessary!  If you think this is a good idea you'll have to let me know what types of fish will compliment the Orfe in there!

I'm glad you told me the PF can live under the water, where it is at the moment (middle section) it attracts a lot of the dreaded blanket weed.  There isn't much cover in the bottom now that the lillies have died off and I think relocating the PF would solve 2 problems!

Forgot to ask, how is the car going?  Mine being a diesel is throwing out loads of black smoke at the moment and badly needs a service! - Will get round to it sooner or later!

thanks again

Tony

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version