Author Topic: Bluebells  (Read 1119 times)

davholla

• Hectare
Bluebells
« on: October 15, 2007, 17:17:03 »
Is it a silly idea to grow these in a lawn ?

Am I right in thinking that they should be planted soon ?

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Bluebells
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 23:25:42 »
They grow naturally in woodland, which doesn't support strong grass growth so probably won't do too well, but if they are the spabnish thugs a good mowing or two should keep them under control...
 :-\

SnooziSuzi

• Acre
  • ~ Su in Durham~
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 23:34:51 »
I have some in my garden which is partly shaded in spring and they are doing less and less well each year with the amount of sunshine they are getting (too much - as SD says they are woodland plants so don't tollerate a lot of bright sunshine)

I think I'm going to have to dig them up soon and transplant them to the shadiest part of the garden, under some hedges.
SnooziSuzi
Acting my shoe size, not my age!

Baaaaaaaa

• Acre
  • Life's a treat for those who bleat.
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 03:08:29 »
It depends if you want to cut the lawn. Bluebells have leaves from early March to late June.  Mow the leaves off and the have no way to photosynthesise - to put energy into the bulb for next year.
Maximus, Procerus, Vegetus

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 08:12:48 »
I suspect there may be some other reason why they're not doing well. Bluebells are extremely tough and adaptable, and are known to remain decades, sometimes centuries after the woods they originally grew in have disappeared. I've seen them growing in thick herbage so they can cope with competition.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal