Author Topic: Red Kites on the Ridgeway  (Read 1348 times)

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
Red Kites on the Ridgeway
« on: September 19, 2007, 23:50:10 »
Last weekend we walked the second half of the Ridgeway path. A fabulous walk made even better by the prescence of the Red Kites. It was a joy to watch a group of no less than 9 of them work their way across the huge field we were standing in. At one point they were so close we could see the way they use their tails as rudders. Sadly for me my camera chose that moment to die, and my phone battery gave out too, so sorry,no pics. :(.
I read that they have only recently been reintroduced to the Chilterns, and are thriving. Great stuff.
Smile, it confuses people.

SnooziSuzi

• Acre
  • ~ Su in Durham~
Re: Red Kites on the Ridgeway
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 00:09:24 »
I saw on springwatch 2006 that they were making a strong comeback, but have yet to see them in the flesh.  You are so lucky!

I'm sure you'll treasure the moment for a long time  :D
SnooziSuzi
Acting my shoe size, not my age!

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
Re: Red Kites on the Ridgeway
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2007, 19:56:54 »
Red Kites are indeed a joy to the eye.  I went up to Nr Inverness 2 years ago and looked for them.  They apparently were frequently seen on a Roundabout near the main road.  We went onto a cafe not far off the main road and the owner told me to just wait and they would turn up.  Like you, I saw about 9 of them all in one field.  I am sure in a few years they could become a common bird again, like the Buzzard if only the persecutors would leave them alone. 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal