Author Topic: Choosing a garden knife  (Read 1381 times)

sweet-pea

• Hectare
  • Wisley
Choosing a garden knife
« on: October 03, 2007, 14:26:14 »
I'm getting a gardening knife for xmas and wondered if anyone could recommend any good makes.  I've seen a nice one with a rosewood handle, but I'm not sure if I like it simply because it looks like a goodold fashioned knife :-)  Any advice would be very welcome.

SP x

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Choosing a garden knife
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2007, 14:36:13 »
I just use a swiss army style... never short of a bottle opener either!
 ;D

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2007, 14:47:51 »
I bought mine knife for £3 in a garden centre it had a wilkinson blade and foulded inside itself.

Its very sharpe and does the job, handle is less important as the blade.

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2007, 14:57:31 »
This site gives an idea of the variety available - I have a stainless steel Bahco pruning knife I'm very fond of.

Tooled up knife search
« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 14:59:07 by Barnowl »

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2007, 15:59:17 »
I have some old "rusty" dinner knives, honed to razor sharpness, and they are among my most used tools. I suppose folding would be nice, but mine live in a bucket with other small tools (including a folding pruning knife - very useful) and I don't need them to fold.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2007, 16:52:04 »
mine is like this one

http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=112741

looks like i got a bargin!!

Barnowl

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2007, 18:05:29 »
That's a brilliant price - well spotted!

mellor

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2007, 19:28:37 »
i picked up an opinel knife whilst in the lakes was only £4 but is very light and just about the right size

only thing is its a carbon steel blade so needs to be kept fairly clean once done for the day but does keep a good edge and is easy to sharpen

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2007, 12:02:58 »
I have one that I'm not sure you can get in the UK any more. It's a three-bladed Swiss Army gardening knife, with two sharp blades and one budding blade which is blunt and copper/brass.  I love it to bits, so much so I was worried I'd lose it and bought a second one while I was in Germany the other year.

oooh I take it back - it's back on sale over here!  :D
http://www.swissknifeshop.co.uk/victorinox_pruning_knives.html#cutting

(Needless to say I didn't pay anything like that much!! Think it worked out at £12)

moonbells
« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 12:05:06 by moonbells »
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2007, 15:20:20 »
I have a few but use my 'Safari' made by Inox, Solingen, Germany The most. It's got a good grip handle, decent weight blade and it locks in position...I feel the blade locking feature is a must....With a bit of practice it's possible to open it one handed...very handy...also comes with a belt sheath.

Barnowl

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2007, 15:58:00 »
Defo thumbs up for locking blade  :)

gordonsveg

• Acre
  • 68 years old ,
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2007, 17:26:04 »
Still using my french fishermans knife from when i was trawling in the 70s, the blade locks for safety.

powerspade

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2007, 09:02:34 »
I bought a razor sharp Spear & Jackson Knife in Asdas for £2.40 a couple of weeks ago

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2007, 13:56:08 »
Be careful about carrying locking blades. They are now illegal to carry in public regardless of their length. Please be aware that this includes Stanley knives, so if you're taking one to the lottie to cut up some carpet, make sure the blade is 'away' and that you can prove why you have it!

Penknives with blades >3" in length are also out unless you can argue that they are 'tools of the trade' ie you're in catering or carpentry etc.  Most gardening knives are fortunately not that long, usually about 2.5".

If you're clearing a really overgrown plot and have a machete, well... !

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2007, 12:09:48 »
If I ever get stopped on my way to peoples gardens I'd be locked up for life! One of my handiest tools is a 10" long heavy bladed knife which I use for cutting wavy lawn edges. Let's face it, any garden tool could be classed as a weapon, it's where you have it that counts. Walking round Woollies with a garden hand fork might raise an eye brow or two but inside a tool bag on your way to a job can't be an offence can it.
My 'tools of the trade' are exactly that. It might be illegal to carry some of the tools I do but I'm not changing my habits because of a handful nutters who don't get what they deserve when they're caught red-handed with a weapon on the streets.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal