Author Topic: HELP!! Jamie Oliver recipes  (Read 5113 times)

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
HELP!! Jamie Oliver recipes
« on: October 02, 2007, 19:36:38 »
 am  I the only one they don't work for re his basic bread recipe?

I'm making courgette bread,

the recipe is for one loaf,

but I have two HUGE ones, ::) :P

anyone else have problems? / shades x
grow your own way

dtw

• Hectare
  • What grows, You decide!
    • Classic & Cheesy TV adverts and other funny stuff
Re: HELP!! Jamie Oliver recipes
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2007, 12:23:10 »
Did you weigh out the flour in kilograms instead of pounds?  :P

Can you post the recipe here.

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2007, 13:20:11 »
I think it's 4 kilo's of pucka, 500g of bish-bash-bosh, bung in a handfull of bobs yer uncle, and you'll end up with a luvly jubly loaf!  ;D

I haven't tried his recipe, so am resorting to childish humour. But I do have a recipe for courgette bread somewhere... not tried it though. Want me to post it?

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2007, 13:40:29 »
I think its in his happy days recipie book - yep

Basic Bread
Ingredients 
30g/1oz fresh yeast or 3 x 7g sachets dried yeast
30g/1oz honey or 2 tbs sugar
625ml/just over 1 pint tepid water
1kg/just over 2lb strong bread flour
30g/1oz salt or 2 tbs sea salt
some extra flour for dusting

Method for basic bread
1 Dissolve the yeast and honey or sugar in half the tepid water.
2 On a clean surface or in a large bowl, make a pile of the flour and salt. On a clean surface or in a large bowl, make a pile of flour and salt. Make a well in the centre, and pour in the dissolved yeast mixture. With four fingers of one hand, make circular movements from the centre moving outwards, slowly bringing in more and more of the flour, until all the yeast mix is soaked up. Pour the other half of the tepid water into the centre, and gradually incorporate all the flour to make a moist dough. (Certain flours may need a little more water, so adjust the quantitites.)
3 Roll, push and fold the dough over and over for five minutes, to develop the gluten and structure of the dough. If any of the dough sticks to your hands, just rub them together with a little flour.
4 Flour both your hands well, and lightly flour the top of the dough. Make it into a roundish shape, and place on a baking tray. Deeply score the dough with a knife, allowing it to relax and prove with ease. Leave it to prove until it's doubled in size. Ideally you want a warm, moist, draught-free place for the quickest prove, for example near a warm cooker, in the airing cupboard or just in a warmish room, and you can even cover it with clingfilm, if you want to speed things up. This proving process improves the flavour and texture of the dough, and should take around 40 minutes, depending on the conditions.
5 When the dough has doubled in size, you need to knock the air out of it by bashing it around for a minute. Shape it into whatever shape you want - round, flat, filled, trayed up or tinned up - and leave it to prove for a second time until it doubles in size again. Don't feel a need to rush through this, because the second proving time will give it a lovely, delicate soft texture.
6 Now you want to keep all the air inside the loaf, so don't knock it. Gently place it in the preheat oven and don't slam the door. Bake according to the time and temperature given in the recipe variations. You can tell if your bread is cooked by tapping its bottom (take it out of the tin first!) If it sounds hollow, it's cooked. If not, put it back in the oven for a little longer. Place on a rack to cool.

Other Ingrediants
To the basic bread add 6 large courgettes (washed and grated), 1 small handful of thyme (washed and leaved picked), 200g goats cheese crumbled

Method for Courgette Bread

At stage 1 of the above basic bread recipie add 285ml/1/2 pint of your water along with the courgettes and thyme. Mix around using your hands to scrunch the bread together - you will find that water will come out of the courgettes so you may not need to add the rest of the water at stage 2, but add some if you feel the gough is elastic and not sticky. Then knead in the goats cheese. 
Shape the dough into a big round loaf and dust with flour. Place on a dusted baking tray and prove until doubled in size.

Bake 180c/350f/gas mark 4 for around 30 min until crusty and hollow sounding when tapped.

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2007, 20:25:24 »
 :) yes this is the one,

the mixture was sooooooooooooooooooooo wet I must have used 4lbs of flour :o

you don't use the pint of water in this recipe just half, but the moisture in the courgettes makes it so sticky, you have to add the flour or you can't knead it.

How big is a large courgette? ::),

you are so right Ollie C, he makes it up as he goes along, the measurements don't work .

we didn't think the bread would prove but it more than doubled its size so we had one huge loaf in the top oven and one huge loaf in the main oven. The recipe is for one loaf ;D

we also had to cook them for 1 and a half hours instead of 30 mins :o ::) :P

But.........................it's bloody gorgeous bread ;D ;D / shades x
grow your own way

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2007, 20:28:24 »
...maybe you should take some of the water out of the courgette first?

I will be going to the plot tomorrow and see if i have any courgettes left so i can try this myself.

I think large courgette is about and inche maybe 2 thick and maybe 5inches long.. anything more and i would think its going to marrow sized.

Louise

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2007, 20:51:44 »
 ;D I could post you a loaf ;) :P ::) I could feed a small country with them./ shades x
grow your own way

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2007, 21:17:12 »
hehehehe its ok honey i am already big enough to be classed as a small country  ;D

Jitterbug

• Hectare
  • Dance as if no one is watching...
    • Leighton Lottie
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2007, 15:12:40 »
Here's another one you can try.

Courgette Loaf

Ingredients
13 ozs Plain Flour
1 teaspoon salt
Baking powder
Bicarb
Cinnamon
3 ozs chopped nuts
3 eggs
8 oz oil
7 ozs sugar
Vanilla essence.
10 ozs. Grated

Method
Beat the eggs, add and mix in
the oil, sugar and a teaspoon
of vanilla essence.
Add and mix in the  grated Courgette
Sift together and add gradually, the plain flour, the salt, 1/4 teaspoon baking powder, 1 teaspoon bicarb, 3 teaspoons Cinnamon.
Add the chopped nuts, mix and place in baking tin. Cook at Gas
Mark 4 (350 F) for 60-75 minut

Jitterbug
If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning....

dtw

• Hectare
  • What grows, You decide!
    • Classic & Cheesy TV adverts and other funny stuff
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2007, 11:43:51 »
I suppose these vegetable breads are a good way of getting kids to eat veg.  :D

Don't tell them they've got veg in though. ;)

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2007, 20:16:46 »
 :) well the bread has almost gone, ;D ;D

my nephews who are  7 and 10 love it, as do everyone who has tried it, so will make it again/ shades x

grow your own way

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2007, 20:27:32 »
I have more courgettes forming on my plants so i might make some :)

Although potato and marrow soup is good 2!!!

I will give them a boost tomorrow with some chicken poo and see if i can get more Fruit  :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal